Drones? Really?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Mosbyranger, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

LOL, some game wardens tried that to monitor legal hunting and hunters. Funny though, none of the drones returned??? Case of mistaken identity?
    Adam

tombiasi and Aneemal33 like this.
  2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Unlike
    Guys hunting all day and didn't see any game and then suddenly overhead....

3. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

I guess I won't be ordering Domino's Pizza to be delivered by drone to my campsite...

4. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Kinda like how I feel about generators.

5. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Yeah, but generators are an accepted necessary evil for the way a lot of us camp. Besides, the generators we use today are much quieter than they used to be and probably quieter than the drones. Before someone brings up solar, I have it and still had to use my generator last weekend because I camped in a dense part of the El Dorado forest. Couldn't even get a good charge into my solar lights...

Adam

6. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Adam, I really don't have a beef with generators. It's more the way people use them. When i wake up at 6am to enjoy a quiet cup of coffee and the guy in next campsite wakes up and starts his generator and runs it all day long i find that a little inconsiderate. Start your generator 6pm run for an HR to charge your batteries that I don't mind. Just my opinion. I go camping to relax and get away from hustle and bustle of life. Some people bring it with them, Everyone's different. I guess the same thing can be said about drones ,you have one fine. I'm sure you can find a place away from everyone to use it and not annoy your neighbors. Find a field somewhere or something.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  7. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

Here is a copy quote from another forum: DJI Phantom Drone Forum. It was written in response to an OPs comment on Texas State Parks stance on not allowing them. I Am neutral concerning drones in general -- but I agree with the responding posters sentiment on their use while camping in a natural setting.

"I think what that is saying is that there was those locations in the past but because of new technology, they are trying to limit that activity now in all parks. As much as I love flying my phantom and would love to video scenery. I have to go with the parks on this. I love to hike and enjoy nature. What ruins it for me is loud motorcycles, cars, traffic, screaming kids and drunks. These places are meant to enjoy the nature and wildlife that is present. I don't wan't to hear bees buzzing overhead in the form of a phantom Drone. It ruins the pleasantness of the experience.

There has to be some places where wildlife can be free to live in peace. There are so many other places to fly drones. Look at the perspective of natural habitat and the sanctity of the state park. I still love flying, but I want to be respectful of others whom may not want this noise or sight of a drone overhead.

I think you are going about it the right way. By asking for designated areas....and that's fine."

1. #2delirious, Jun 4, 2015
    Really well put.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  8. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Here in Canada, Drone use in Federal or Provincial parks is strictly prohibited unless you jump many many hoops which takes the "need to fly" out of the equation.

9. Sawbill fan

Sawbill fan Member

Interesting topic here. Irresponsible fliers are a problem and give all a bad name. They should never be flown in someone's campsite for goodness sake. That is way out of line. If flying in a legal area in a responsible manner it's something we have to live with. They are way quieter than generators I've experienced in so many campgrounds and the average battery life is 18 minutes so there is your flight time. I'll take that over a generator that runs all day. I do fly a drone but never in the campsite area and I will go up to anyone within a few hundred yards and get their ok first. This summer, over the average three day trip I would fly about 30 minutes total and usually in remote areas with nobody within miles. Drone fliers need to be responsible and considerate. But if I'm flying legally and responsibly and you try take mine down, I will not fly quietly into the night and you and I are going to get to know each other real well. Fortunately they are banned in national wilderness areas so I always have a Place to get to to avoid technology :). Fun topic to debate. Times are always a changing.

tfischer likes this.
  10. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Wow, two threats; one directed another implies, in five minutes of reading this website. Getting to be a really tough crowd in the ole' popup forum. Too bad I'm retired.[​IMG]

xxxapache and tfischer like this.
  11. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

In the meantime, if you are an owner operating exclusively in compliance with section 336 and you wish to delete your registration and receive a refund of yourregistration fee, you may do so by accessing a registration deletion and self-certification form (PDF) and mailing it to the FAA at the address designated on ...Jul 13, 2017
    Registration Deletion - Federal Aviation Administration
    https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/registration_deletion/

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I registered in the free period, and have only one drone (Parrot AR) that I rarely fly. Is it in my interest to delete the registration? Or should I just leave things be?

13. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

I have a drone and it's fun to operate. It's quieter than a radio. When in a campground I keep it below 20 feet and camera disabled and on my site unless there's an empty field. I don't fly it over some campsite, its rude and inconsiderate, I certainly don't want someone flying one over my campsite.

durhamcamper, xxxapache and f5moab like this.
  14. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

I love watching drone video of beautiful places & really appreciate the people who go through the effort to get, edit & uphold their videos for others to share. Have considered getting a drone as a gift for my BF. The buzzing can be annoying but if it is for a brief period of time, I'm fine with it. The difficulty is in the growing number of drones. Georgia state parks do not allow drones without permission in advance. Same has applied to the national parks we've visited. I support that decision.

I would not care to have someone flying over my campsite near tree level or lower in a developed campground. Would absolutely be angered by someone flying one around inside my site without prior permission, especially with a camera. (Though if someone was polite enough to ask ahead of time, I'd likely agree.) It would be the equivalent of people trooping through my campsite & staring in my camper. However, just as I would not physically assault someone from entering my campsite, I would not intentionally damage their drone. There are much better ways to handle the problem.

15. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Gonna order me anti-drone missiles

16. RkyMountainRose

RkyMountainRose Member

Hopefully, all CO Park Rangers got this memo!

17. NEKPOPUP

NEKPOPUP Member

If i see one near me or my family, i will try and down it, or find the pilot and down them!!

18. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

There are a lot of new drones coming out, but I think the rules are catching up due to abuses and the entitlement mentality so common these days... No drones are permitted in MN state parks, or in the BWCAW. They are also illegal for hunting, and any that weigh more than a half pound are subject to FAA regulation.

19. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Irresponsible and dumb, they should not be allowed in any CG. If I see one over my home I will do my best to shoot it down and then go looking for the operator and have a few words !! with whomever is flying the thing.

20. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

What is BWCAW for us non-Minnesotaians? I'll add it to the "Acronym" page.