Drop down stabilizers

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by crosbys2008, May 24, 2014.

1. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Active Member

Sorry if this has been asked before but I tried searching and only got more confused. I have the old style drop down stabilizers on my camper and I have come to the conclusion that I severely dislike the word "snug". When I drop the stabilizers down (after raising the roof) I use the rod to give it one click. When doing this it raises the frame a little is this ok or not. I really don't want to mess up the frame but I'd like to use the drop down stabilizers instead of the jack stands if possible. Eventually I'll probably replace them with the Bal stabilizer or scissor ones but in the meantime. I know someone here will be able to help me, youtube videos haven't been much help either because they are all the screw down types.

Thanks a bunch,

--Rob--

2. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

You have the Atwood stabs. I had those. They were not my favorite. But to answer your question, one click is fine, and necessary. You won't hurt anything at all. Those frames are not THAT flimsey. I wouldn't go 3 or 4 clicks, though. One is enough.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

3. BTB

BTB New Member

I have a StarCraft with similar stabilizers and I always lift the frame up to 1/4" and never have problems. A bit of pressure on the frame keeps the camper much more stable.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

4. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Active Member

fallsrider and BTB, thanks for the replies. I was hopping that it was correct but your read about all the warnings and then you get nervous. I've spent time and money on the roof rebuild and didn't want to mess up the frame. If only they would word the manuals in away that makes sense for those types of stabilizers. They should state 1-2 clicks, more definitive than saying snug. Oh well, I guess that's the difference between an engineer and a laymen. [LOL] Now, just need to replace the one stabilizer that is missing and we will be all set.

Thanks again,

--Rob--