Dry Camping with a Generator

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by vader33, Jul 16, 2020.

1. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Should try to be nice to new members

akriot and vader33 like this.
  2. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon Member

Not going to lie - IT'S HEAVY......unfortunately. 100lbs before gas.....:sad:

I use a small fold up baggage trolley to move it as the little tiny wheels on the actual generator aren't very useful on open ground
    It was a trade-off in my opinion - have enough power to run everything - vs. - it's heavy to lug around. - I chose the latter.

I was using my smaller IP2000 GENERAC, but it would go into overload when we kicked in the A/C ....AND it couldn't run thru the night without running out of gas. Could only get about 7hrs MAX out of it w/o modifying it to use an external gas tank..... oh and it was louder - almost 70db at idle and higher under load.:shocked:
    The PREDATOR run almost 12hrs on a tank under "mild" load (I've gotten 10 with the A/C on low....)
    I researched the "living crap" out of generator options.....and for the capabilities and $$$$ the PREDATOR hands down wins.

Hope this helps
    MY2cents

vader33 likes this.
  3. vader33

vader33 Member

I emailed the park and asked them what their rules on generator usage is, as it's not posted on their website. As far as the inverter, it's a 400W/800W peak inverter that I installed. I have 2 24-series batteries that were installed by the previous owner just prior to me taking delivery, and with 2 small fans I'm not worried about the batteries running out of juice.

This is our fist outing in this pop up. We've tent camped for years, and have rented travel trailers in the past. Granted it was without kids and we weren't camping in such high temps. I tested the ac unit hooked up to this generator a few days ago where temps here in Denver were in the mid 90s and it cooled the pup well and made it comfortable.

I appreciate all the concern and everyone's opinion on generators, and if I had an inverter/generator this wouldn't even be a question. Like I said, this is all I have. I do have Reflectix installed over the beds as well, so who knows, with just a couple fans running, it may be enough. I'm working on getting a quieter generator, but not having much luck from tool rental shops in my area. If I can't find one, this is what I'm stuck with. There's not much else I can do.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I'm very nice to new members. But I don't give them a blank check either.

The guy says he doesn't want to be a jerk, then essentially say "F--- it, my kid isn't going to be hot and I'm not buying another generator and I'm going to do this thing, OK?" So why did he ask the question?

ArizonaMike likes this.
  5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Happens quite often.

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Indeed. And I called it out.

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

OK with me.

tfischer likes this.
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Here's my input in preference order:

Don't use it unless it is ABSOLUTELY needed. If the kid can nap outside in the shade rather than the hot camper, then do that. If you can adjust your schedule so the kid's naptime hits in a cooler part of the day, do that.

Only use it for for shortest time necessary and only during allowed times for the campground. That may mean using it for an hour to cool down the camper, then switch to fans while the kid sleeps.

Do NOT use it while folks around you are eating. It smells and it disturbs socializing around meals. Running it while those around you are all hanging at camp is going to be more annoying then running it when they are off playing.

Talk to your nearest neighbors. Explain your situation and say something like "I'd like to run it from 2-3 pm to cool down the camper for my kid's nap, but I wanted to give you a heads up." Be polite and understanding. If they comment with something like " 2-3 is my kid's naptime", offer to adjust your timing or better - ask how they handle naptime in the heat.

Through it all, stay nonaggressive towards others. If your neighbors take issue, make an honest effort to meets their requests. Similar to tfischer's comment, it's annoying to people when they voice a complaint and you just blow them off because what you want outweighs what they want. COMPROMISE is the way to go. Don't blow them off, try to find a middle ground If you are willing to give in somewhat, most others will be willing to do so also. The 5% that isn't willing to compromise will be the jerks in the campground.

vader33 likes this.
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I'll also add that I hate generators - even the "quiet" ones. But I'd rather have a neighbor give me a heads up that they will be running theirs for a specified time period so I can work my activities around it. It is really annoying when I fix my lunch and settle in with a good book only to have that generator to kick in for who knows how long. If they had given me a heads up that they would be running it from 1-2 pm, I could go for a hike and plan a late lunch after 2pm.

Blackripley likes this.
  10. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

My general feedback on this would be if you need hookups, then camp at a place that has them. Camping near generators sucks for me. In CO, there are a bazillion places to go to beat the heat, I would just go and camp in one of those. That is the great thing about camping, you can go camp where the local climate is good for camping and plan the time of the year that works.

Elijah Bruette likes this.
  11. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Vader33, if the generator does not work out there are is an old school way to cool a room. If you are camping where it is low humidity you can hang some damp sheets in front of an open window. The air passing through will be cooled down. This works well when there is a breeze and low humidity.
    https://lifehacker.com/hang-a-damp-towel-to-cool-a-hot-house-5313401

In some of the (very) old coastal houses in the deep south, you can still find the hanging hardware near the windows. It's one of those things you see in an old house that leaves you wondering what was that for?

Johnklee, vader33 and Toedtoes like this.
  12. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I can tell you this from my point of view...i would rather the noise of a generator than screaming kids and yelling parents as well as loud music and loud drunks.
    Not to mention dogs barking non stop because their owners tie them up and forget about them all weekend.
    Heck i may want a generator drowning out all that noise.

Kelli McDowell and DiamondGirl like this.
  13. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I guess I'm just an easy going guy. Things just don't bother me like they use to when I was younger. I have a big generator that I can and will use if I need it. But the only reason I would need it is to run the A/C unit. My battery and solar panel takes care of the rest of my power needs. However, I would be mindful of the neighbors. I always try to set up my camper as far away from others as I can, and generally I'm boondocking anyway. If some one pulls in close to me I won't run the gen as a courtesy. If they run theirs, I wouldn't mind. As long as it is shut off at night. Even then I can sleep through anything.

vader33 likes this.
  14. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Member

Provincial campgrounds around here set limits on generator hours: 9-11am and 6-8pm. That I can live with. Those who operate them outside those hours are definitely “that guy.”

kitphantom and vader33 like this.
  15. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I don't camp with a generator, but I used one on a parade float one time. We had it in the back of the pick up and made a pink styrofoam insulation box to go over it. It was big enough to give room for the exhaust to not melt it and was about 6 sixes off the ground for air flow. It really muted the noise. If you put your genny on the ground and cover it you'll really reduce the noise.

vader33 likes this.
  16. vader33

vader33 Member

I never said, "F**k it, I'm going to do my own thing." I simply explained the position I'm in and what I have to work with. I didn't expect such a conversation to end up with me being looked at like a piece of crap. I'm simply asking what would be the best way to handle the situation should it even arise. I don't know if I'll even need to run it. Speaking to some friends that are already there, it's been very breezy during the day, and while still hot, keeping the windows open and adding Reflectix to the bunk ends may end up keeping things cool. Granted, I did make some comments that spelled out what I plan to do should the need arise, I never once said to anyone that I was going to do my own thing regardless of what they recommended. That was your take.

For those who are interested, the campground is located at John Martin Resevoir near Las Animas, CO. The campground is called The Point. It offers no shade and no hookups. Is it ideal for a first outing in a new-to-us RV? No, but the reservation was made ahead of time and paid for in advance, with no way of knowing how hot it's going to be.

I appreciate all the comments and the recommendations given, but I'm really disappointed in how I feel I'm being treated here. I may be new when it comes to RV camping, but I'm not an idiot, and I'm certainly not inconsiderate of the people around me. If I didn't care at all, and just lugged out a loud-as-hell generator, why would I even bother bringing it up in the first place?

bobinfleet and 1380ken like this.
  17. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Campground Etiquette brings out the best in folks [:(]
    using lights and folks go off on forums.
    every one has a different agenda 'camping'. They are for the public at large (all kinds).
    I may not like slamming doors, your fire smoke, shrill voices, idling vehicles, blue totes dragged, fast vehicles, walk through and on and on.
    If 'rules' allow, fire up the gen.
    If gen time starts at 7:00 am, start ~6:59:59 :shocked:

Be prepared and happy camping

vader33 likes this.
  18. vader33

vader33 Member

Thanks man. I really am trying to be the best campground neighbor I can be.

Sjm9911, 1380ken and DiamondGirl like this.
  19. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

Vader33... Welcome to the forum.

There’s videos on YouTube which show different ways to quiet down generators. Maybe one will work for you.

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=quieting+a+noisy+generator

Your camping neighbors might not know how much you’re taking their comfort in consideration. But if you were camping next to me... I’d be appreciative of your efforts.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

vader33 likes this.
  20. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

You will be fine...Follow the rules and anyone who doesn't like it...Its on them to get the rules changed.
    I hear loud music and tv's all day long out camping until 10PM when quiet time starts.
    Rather i like it or not (Doesn't really bother me though)...There are no rules against it and its part of the deal.
    Barking dogs are the worst because i feel bad for them.
    As far as the other noises...i think most people understand...But there are those that think they are the campground police
    and everyone should conform to their wishes.
    If i was ever told by another camper in a public campground my generator was bothering them
    and i was following all the rules...I would tell them to hit the road and find a campground with rules that
    fit their wishes.

Adam H and vader33 like this.