Dry Camping with a Generator

vader33

Sep 10, 2015
Denver, CO
I have a Honda Inverter generator that is not loud like cheap generators. But it still makes noise so I sparingly use it. I feel that the rules need to be tightened up so that noisy generators are not allowed within 1,000' of any other campers. We left a campsite last summer because of a camper coming in and squatting in a reserved campsite about 200' away and running their loud generator continuously all day likely so the kids could play computer games. There was no campground host as was expected and nobody to complain to. After a day of this the following Saturday morning we abandoned our site to find somewhere else to go and take our chances giving up one night's pre-paid fee. We found a better campsite a few hours drive away where there were no rude nearby campers.

Running a loud generator or music that can be heard by neighbors is not respectful of the neighbor's desire to enjoy a rejuvinating camping experience.

It is nice that you are asking for the opinions of others. Today Sams' Clubs has a quality 2200 watt Inverter generator by Westinghouse on sale for $319 for a week online. This is a one-week sale! It is marked down $220 for one week.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/westingh...fdWSKjtF3gTg0vWVbYfNB_9nD9cs7DlwDbuBjJev7hQcA

Thanks for the link. Too bad they're out of stock because I think that would be perfect for the window unit I'm going to install. The search for a good Inverter generator continues...

vader33

Sep 10, 2015
Denver, CO
I have a three stories about generator use. When I was in Vietnam in 1966, our compound at Qui Nhon had a rather large Diesel generator that ran 24 hours per day. It did not take long to get use to the noise. After a few days I didn't even notice it any longer. Now, all these years later, there are two sounds that will instantly take me back in time to my days as a kid in Vietnam. One is the sound of a Huey helicopters in flight, and the other is the sound of a generator. I have grown fond of both.

As for camping with a generator. I have one of those noisy "Cheap" generators. But I will only use it at boondocking sites when the temperature is very hot. I was at a public campground last year when the temperature during the day reached 100 degrees. There were no electrical hook-up at the site and there was only three other campers there. I made it a point to pick a spot at the far end of the campground so as not to bother anyone else. When it is that hot, you have to expect to hear a generator or two somewhere in the area. I ran the gen from about 1 p.m. to about 6 p.m. It was just too hot to do anything outside. I was doing computer work editing videos inside. On the third day, a motor home pulled in only about 150 feet from me. Sure enough, he fired up his generator earlier in the morning that I did. I could hear the gen running, but it did not bother me at all. I just don't get unset about such trivial things.

And finally, last March I went camping with my two sons. One has a brand new camping trailer. He has not had time to install Solar yet. He also has my old "Cheap" generator that I gave to him. He put the gen about 50 feet away from us and behind a big tree. We were up there for 7 days. When his batteries got really low, he fired up the gen to charge them up again. We could barely hear it running and it didn't bother me at all. If you are going to use a gen, you have to use some common sense and be away of your surroundings. I would never run my generator if there were other campers close buy. If for some reason I had to run it, I would go ask them if they would mind. If they did, I wouldn't. And I would understand.

Don you seem like the kind of guy I'd love to share a six pack with. I appreciate your point of view, even though I've pretty much sworn off taking my loud construction genny. Not so much because of noise, but it's just not practical.

A-Ranger12

Feb 25, 2020
Western NY
Thanks for the link. Too bad they're out of stock because I think that would be perfect for the window unit I'm going to install. The search for a good Inverter generator continues...

Check ebay. Or Harbor Freight. They're not Honda, but for recreational use will do fine.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
Don you seem like the kind of guy I'd love to share a six pack with. I appreciate your point of view, even though I've pretty much sworn off taking my loud construction genny. Not so much because of noise, but it's just not practical.
The problem with that is that it only takes one beer to put me under the table. I never could drink alcohol. Sometimes I will order a mug of beer when I'm out with family at the pizza parlor. Even then I can only drink about half of the mug. I can feel the affects after only half consumed.

As far as the generator goes. I have had my camper for about three years now. Been camping many times. But I have yet to camp in a public campground. The only exception was a trip last summer in the 100 degree heat. That was the only time I used the generator. Most of the time I don't even bother taking it. I prefer the Boondocks and to be by myself and I don't want the summer heat to stop me.

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
I have a generator. Have not used it for camping for at least 8 years. Just does not seem like camping running my Honda generator. Can not hear a bird. Years ago we decided if we go camping when we need ac we will camp at $$ campground with 30 amps.

Fall, winter and spring we use solar to recharge the battery.

Im with the others, you will not be on my Christmas card mailing list if you are camping near me with a gen.

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
If i have a genny in camp.. it's for blending Margarita's.. never had a single complaint.

If your camping in a private or public campground you should at least expect generator usage, people cutting through your site, loud voices/music and other less desirable interruptions. Dont expect rude people to adhere to your desires, find somewhere that you wont encounter them.

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
I have been camping for 40 years and strangely have never heard a generator when camping or have had someone cut through my site. I first started camping off trail. Then at National Forest campgrounds and now private.

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
I have been camping for 40 years and strangely have never heard a generator when camping or have had someone cut through my site. I first started camping off trail. Then at National Forest campgrounds and now private.

I have "heard" generators twice. Once, the guy in the tale above, turned it on at 5:30 am til about 8:30-9. Then again at 9:30 til about 11 am, then again at noon til about 2:30, then again from 4 to about 6:30, then again from about 8:30 to about 10:30 (generator hours were between 6 am and 10 pm daily). Needless to say it was annoying because it was constantly on and off.

The other time was T-day weekend at a near empty campground. A motorhome about 10 sites away turned their onboard generator on around dinnertime. It was a steady hum at my site - I heard it, but could ignore it after a few minutes.

Only had a couple cut-throughs and both were resolved easily.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
If i have a genny in camp.. it's for blending Margarita's.. never had a single complaint.

If your camping in a private or public campground you should at least expect generator usage, people cutting through your site, loud voices/music and other less desirable interruptions. Dont expect rude people to adhere to your desires, find somewhere that you wont encounter them.
Yep... I agree.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I have a generator. Have not used it for camping for at least 8 years. Just does not seem like camping running my Honda generator. Can not hear a bird. Years ago we decided if we go camping when we need ac we will camp at $$ campground with 30 amps.

Fall, winter and spring we use solar to recharge the battery.

Im with the others, you will not be on my Christmas card mailing list if you are camping near me with a gen.
One of these days I'm going to have to try a paid campground with electricity. Never been in one to date.

tenttrailer

Art & Joyce - Columbus, O
Jul 18, 2013
Thornville, OH
One of these days I'm going to have to try a paid campground with electricity. Never been in one to date.

That is great Grandpa. If my memory is still good, you live around a bunch of BLM. I bet most of the time you don't have to pay for a campsite? But I don't think I could get the DW to camp there without AC in the summer.

firepit

Super Active Member
Feb 26, 2020
I can handle any generator....I can't handle couples screaming and yelling at each other
as well as at their kids.
Or a dog tied up all weekend who barks non stop.

Grandpa Don

Super Active Member
Sep 5, 2018
Southern California
I can handle any generator....I can't handle couples screaming and yelling at each other
as well as at their kids.
Or a dog tied up all weekend who barks non stop.
Me too! Another thing I don't care to hear in camp is music. I love music... just not in camp or the kind where the main instrument is the "Accordion".

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
I love music... just not in camp or the kind where the main instrument is the "Accordion".

Haha me too... if it's the middle of the afternoon and you're playing classic rock, I'll tolerate it. But usually it's modern country which makes me want to projectile vomit (I can handle classic country but the modern stuff... UGH).

I don't think I've ever been subjected to accordion music, you must camp with some real blue hairs lol.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
I don't think I've ever been subjected to accordion music, you must camp with some real blue hairs lol.

I have several albums of Weird Al - lots of accordion music in there! In fact my son's first concert was Weird Al - his choice no less!

A-Ranger12

Feb 25, 2020
Western NY
I take our Inverter generator along for air conditioning if we need it. A few trips ago, with daytime temperatures in the low 90's we did indeed fire it up once generator hours started. It was nice to cool down.

If it's an Inverter generator during generator hours and I can't smell the exhaust, there's no issue. A construction generator, well, a pox upon their soul.

rsdata

Oct 3, 2011
N. KY
HELP muffle that genny noise

I once bought some foam board insulation, maybe 3/4 inch thick, then cut it up for 3 sides ( open side pointed exhaust out), one side higher than another, and put on a slanted roof in case of rain... I "pinned" it together using the largest nails I could find, pushing the nails into the foam, then used it to house my HF ( discontinued) Inverter genny... it muffled the noise some... was inexpensive and easy to carry and take down when traveling... lasted me about 3 years... Just make sure to give it plenty of room to exhaust heat

Latest posts