Drying a Wet Camper in the Wintertime...

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Be-Ce, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Be-Ce

Be-Ce Active Member

One of the main reasons for getting our PUP was to extend our camping season. In the fall and winter, in the Willamette Valley, the foothills and the coast, we have lots of opportunities for camping where the temps are not that low. Bu-u-t-t, it rains. Our untested plan has been to camp, come home and put the PUP in the garage, open 'er up and dry her out. The garage has no heat. I don't know if I have enough headroom (between the garage door rails and the opener drive) to fully open the trailer. {I also know I need to quit with the theorizing & just put the trailer in the garage and see how far I can raise the roof} And, it's not that warm in the garage... Can I (has anyone) raise(d) the roof 3/4 height and leave it like that for awhile? My plan is to put a couple of fans in the garage and a couple of heaters inside the PUP and dry everything out in a couple of hours o_O This is brought up because it was a) the original plan, and b) we are heading to the coast in 3 weeks for an annual camping trip w/friends & it's been a wet fall. Packing up in the rain I'm not worried about: we've done that before. It's high humidity, low temperature drying that has me more concerned. Thx in advance for your advice. See ya around the fire!

HappyTraveler, 1380ken and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. seldomseen380

seldomseen380 Active Member

Pop It Up as Much as You Can,
    Put some Portable Fans in the Entrance Way...
    Enjoy Your Next Excursion...

Plain and Simple...

HappyTraveler likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Good plan, just plan on longer then a few hours. Do it!

4. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I Know you can do that with the Fleetwood/Coleman lift system (mine doesn't quite go all the way up in the garage). I don't know about the Starcraft. At worst, you might have to stick some 2x4s in the corner to support it but I'm sure some Starcraft pros will get on and tell you how to semipop properly. So pop it as much as you can, be sure it won't collapse, and floop out as much tenting as possible.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If you don't have room in the garage I just draped the canvas down the sides of the camper. Occasionally moving the canvas so the folds get dried out as well. At least with my camper I can raise halfway without a problem. When it's colder out I would account for longer dry out time. Go for it, get out and camp! Pretty soon I will be having to put mine down for her long winter nap. So I will need to live on trips posted by others.

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

People dry clothes in freezing temps all the time. The clothes freeze, but the ice sublimes to vapor over time. Drying rates are accelerated by air movement, so use big fans inside and out.

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Much ado about nothing. I always stored our Santa Fe in my garage whenever we weren't camping but if we returned from a trip with wet tenting I'd lift the roof a foot, just enough to easily pull the tenting out to allow it to dry. Next day it would be dry as a bone. If the OP's lift system doesn't self brake as does a Fleetwood lift system simply support the roof at each of the four lift arms with wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I"m assuming you don't get constant rain for days on end? You can pop it up (outdoors) when you get back home. I will dry out in a few hours once the rain stops, and then you can pop it down.

No need to overcomplicate things. If you really want to rush it, put a few fans blowing on it while it's popped up and drying.

9. Be-Ce

Be-Ce Active Member

Thanks team for all your responses, suggestions and confirmations - I appreciate the support!

@Sjm9911 Yeah, I was joking there. I'm sure it will take a day at least...

@tfischer In Oregon, in the winter, yes we can. I don't even want to look up what the record is for consecutive days of precipitation. Aw hell, I looked it up: 1950 had 29 days in a row of rain, 2015 was close with 25.

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

You don't need a whole day though. We'll often get rain overnight camping, and by the time we pack up in the late morning the camper is dry enough not to worry about. That's true even in cooler fall temps.

Be-Ce likes this.
  11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Our 97 Starcraft Starmaster will hold the roof at any point I stop. I stop partially raised when setting up and taking down to roll the awning and attach/detach the screen room. I'm not sure what lift system was used in 98.

Be-Ce likes this.
  12. Be-Ce

Be-Ce Active Member

Good point @BillyMc We do the same (less the screen room)

BillyMc likes this.
  13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

If it's a wet camper in a Wisconsin winter it's called a pupsicle. ;)

Be-Ce and HappyTraveler like this.
  14. StarSeven7

StarSeven7 Member

We set our Jayco up 3/4 of the way in the garage all the time! This is how we pack and unpack our camper before and after trips. It's so nice because then we don't need to take the time to do a full set up, just raise it up and pull the beds out enough to get inside, it takes 5 minutes at most. We don't bother to fully set up the beds or velcro anything up tight. If we had to pack up wet, we pull the canvas out fully so it dries better.

Be-Ce and HappyTraveler like this.
  15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

We've done the awning with the top fully raised a few times and not a problem. Zipping the screen room on once, and that was not pleasant.