Drying out Canvas after a Winter trip

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Fshrmon, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Fshrmon

Fshrmon New Member

Greetings.

One of the big reasons we purchased a Pup was to extend our camping season. We live in the wet and rainy PacNW and I've been hesitant to take our Pup out as our garage is not tall enough for us to pop it up inside the garage to have the canvas fully dry out post a rainy trip.

We can pop it up about maybe 1-2' but then the roof of the Pup may interfere with the garage door.

I'm looking for suggestions on ways to dry out the canvas and Pup after a late fall or early spring trip?

Once I get our heater working again, I want to haul the Pup up to our local mountain for a weekend of skiing too.

Thanks in advance.
    Cheers.

2. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

How big is your garage? We have a standard 3-car and we are able to back our PUP in the garage and then unhitch, and push it sideways across the back of the garage. This gets it just behind the garage door tracks and opener and we are able to pop it up all the way. Maybe yours would fit that way?

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Something we used to do was get the roof as high as it can go in the garage and pull the canvas out as best as you can. You may have to shift the canvas a bit after some time to get the folds but managed to dry the canvas enough. Big pain pushing the canvas back in but it works.

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  4. Overland

Overland Active Member

The heater running inside while in driveway for awhile?

Deflate or remove wheels, set on a few 4x4's under axle tube might give you enough clearance.

5. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

As my garage is currently a hoarder crime scene, mine won’t fit in at all. When it would/will, this is my approach. The key is blousing it out as much as possible.

I’ve done this both inside the pup while bloused in the garage, and fully deployed outside while dry but cold.

Good Luck.

6. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Maybe get a huge blue tarp and loosely cover it outside while popped up? I haven't had your problem so don't know if that would work.

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

In damp weather leaving the camper outside is going to take an awfully long time to allow the tenting to dry fully, it should be inside a garage where the humidity is lower. If it's an unheated garage then running an electric heater will lower the humidity and allow the tenting to fully dry over a period of time. Fortunately I have a heated garage in which I always stored our Santa Fe ... if the tenting was wet I'd lift the roof just a foot, pull out the tenting & open up the awning and it would all easily by totally dry by the next morning.

[​IMG]

8. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

You have the same issue we do! Because of the rooftop A/C unit and garage door opener I can only raise it up so far (3-4 feet). But, that's enough to get the bunks out (not all the way) and get the canvas out to let the air at it and dry. Last time I let it stay that way for a few days to make sure it's dry. I also did put a fan inside to move the air around. It might be a hassle to dry it this way, but at least you can get it dry if the weather just doesn't cooperate!

9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

The key to drying is air flow. The more, the better. More fans inside and out. Our study at work showed heat helped very little, unless it was concentrated. For big items, it's air flow.

silvermickey2002 likes this.