DTV antenna from coat hangers

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by Richard, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

I made a Great DTV antenna out of a board, then screws and washers, six coat hangers and a $2.00 transformer from Radio Shack. It's so easy and it works great, even just lying behind the TV set. I learned how to do it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw
    Don't spend a fortune on an antenna, don't even spend $10 on one. Make it yourself in under an hour. And it works better.

PU = 95 Coachmen 12' Box
    TV = 02 2WD Suburban
    "Living in the Blue Ridge Mountains suits me just fine!"

2. Goldens

Goldens Member

Glad it worked out for you! A couple of us have done it here.

3. jac43k

jac43k New Member

Now that's was cool!

4. Richard

Thanks for the link Goldens. Great stuff there. I was inspired and hooked the digital converter to the antenna, and then fed the output into a cheapo protable dvd player's imput jack (another $4.00 to convert RCAs to Miniplugs) and it works great. All fits in a drawer.

5. Richard

I've found that when it rains, the antenna doesn't work very well. I suspect that the wood becomes pretty conductive when it gets wet, and ruins the isolation of the antenna tines. I'm planning on getting a piece of plastic or something and trying this again. I'm also searching for a better mast and mount idea for the antenna. I may also get a couple of the broom/mop hanger clamps (that I've seen referenced elsewhere in the mods section) to clamp the antenna to the side or end of the pup for transport. The tines get bent when I store it inside. I have lots of ideas for the pole, a good vertical mount is the next idea I need. I wish the broom/mop clamps would hold it good enough for that too.

6. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

Check this one out. I used copper wire instead of coat hanger and PVC conduit instead of wood. I store the antenna on the PUP's bumper. I just altered the plan from the youtube link below to fit my needs. Works great. More photos are on my website.

[​IMG]

Better Outside HDTV Antenna

7. Richard

That looks great aslag. I've made a factorial version that I'll be field testing on my next trip. The PVC turned sideways for the mount is brilliant!