Dual hitch adapter

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Ourkid2000, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Ourkid2000

Ourkid2000 New Member

How's everyone feel about the dual hitch adapter that has an extra 2" receiver for adding something like a hitch mounted 2-3 bike rack? Doesn't seem to be too much of an extension over a regular one. Seems ideal to me but your input is appreciated.

Something like this:
    https://www.curtmfg.com/part/45810

2. the-one1

the-one1 New Member

It'll decrease your tongue weight limit. Also, you can't have the bike rack on while hitching up the trailer. The locking lever gets in the way. You'll have to hitch up the trailer first and then slide in the bike rack.

3. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

@the-one1 Never noticed that before, but it's pretty clear in the promotional photo:

upload_2019-8-14_12-52-28.png

4. the-one1

the-one1 New Member

If you have ground clearance, you can get this from harbor freight and use a lower drop receiver. But you'll still be limited by tongue weight. I have this below, I could not hitch up the camper with the bike rack on, the trailer lock got in the way and I could not go with a lower receiver due to ground clearance.

upload_2019-8-14_15-11-23.png

5. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I used one with my starflyer. It worked well. Made the truck squat more, but I never had any clearance issues and it didnt cause the trailer to sway.

6. Ourkid2000

Ourkid2000 New Member

How do you determine the tounge weight?

7. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

We used the HF version with our old lighter Viking pup. I would not use it with the Starcraft HW we currently pull. It has about 400 lb of tounge weight, and extending that out another foot or so would put a lot of strain on the hitch if you ask me.

WVhillbilly likes this.
  8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Many of these extenders and dual hitches reduse the tow rating and tongue weight rating of the vehicles receiver by as much as 50 %. ..

9. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t use one of these adapters with a Santa Fe. With a full-size truck they may be viable, but it would add too much weight and leverage for most mid-size unibody SUVs.

I used one with my old F-150 and tiny Apache Raven (500 lbs) and even that showed how much it magnifies the load. I personally wouldn’t use it again with any smaller TV or larger pup.

10. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    rescamilla and WVhillbilly like this.
  11. Ourkid2000

Ourkid2000 New Member

12. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I'm kind of a bike snob and wouldn't trust any of my bikes on that clamp on style. Will it work? Maybe, would I trust it? Nope. When I'm not pulling the pup I have a 1up bike rack in the receiver. If I'm towing the pup, the bikes get put on crossbars on the roof.

13. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Member

Truth, I need to hitch up the camper, then put the bike rack on.... still didnt work as the Yakima bike rack (4bikes) is too long (deep) and the bikes end up hitting the propane tanks and camper roof....

14. TravelingAggie

TravelingAggie New Member

Since this option, When added to a PUP, would sit higher than the campers roof, are you worried about reduction in gas mileage or towing difficulties from wind resistance hitting the bikes?

15. lksdrinker

lksdrinker Active Member

I use the bike bunk along with a cargo platform and a wheel chock style bike carrier for 2 bicycles. So my setup is not quite as tall as what I posted in the photo. But, yes they sit higher than the roof of the camper. Am I worried about the reduction in gas mileage? Not really. I'm sure the extra drag is not helping my gas mileage, but the family considers the bicycles an integral part of camping. So they come every trip and this is the best/easiest/quickest/safest setup I've been able to make work with what we've got. There are enough "holes" that the bikes dont really act like a sail. I bet its only a little less fuel efficient than having the bikes sitting on a roof rack on top of the pup which is quite common. A bigger concern with this setup really should be tongue weight. Everything adds up pretty quick and the bike bunk plus the cargo rack plus the bicycles probably adds close to 100 lbs if not more.

edit:
    Here are some pics from the last trip out....learned that the bike bunk also made a relatively simple spot to strap the new grey water tank to as well!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019