Dual receiver / extension question

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by sbrenton, Mar 25, 2011.

1. sbrenton

sbrenton New Member

Has anyone used these, http://www.amazon.com/HITCH-RECEIVER-EXTENSION-TRAILER-RECEIVER-HITCH-EXTENSION/dp/B004DEBBPM/ref=reg_hu-rd_dp_img_T2 ? I was considering modifying my bumper to take a 2inch receiver box so I could tow my bikes but after reading the forums I am thinking it would be a bad idea. I looked around for an alternative to a roof rack and found this and for under 30 bucks I thought it would be good and cheaper than modifying my bumper too. What does everyone think?

Thanks,
    -Steve

2. cma7777

cma7777 Member

Wow, good price. I would like to do the same. Has anyone done this?

3. greatlakers

greatlakers New Member

So funny this should come up today. Hubby just found this on line last night.
    I was wondering how close the bikes will be (only carrying 2) to the camper. Will they come too close when turning?
    This would be the perfect solution to welding a separate hitch onto the frame at the back or weld bike support onto the tongue (both quite pricey).
    If anyone has this receiver, would love to see it connected with a couple bikes mounted in the 2nd receiver.

4. sse70

sse70 New Member

Have one 2yrs--- hauls camper and 4 bikes no problem---Paid $45.00 at UHAUL---would never go without it----------------------SCOTT

5. jshulenberger

jshulenberger New Member

There are a few of these out there. Keep in mind that it will act as a lever on your hitch. Shouldn't be a problem if you're under on your tongue weight/towing capacity, but it's something to keep in mind.

6. tttgmlake

tttgmlake New Member

I was looking at these awhile back thought i read here in a post that backing up or turning clearance could be a issue. Honestly cant remember where i read this though.

7. cma7777

cma7777 Member

OK, I decided to give it a try and just placed my order. It was a total of $38.44 including shipping. I do not want to put anything on my ABS roof and hope this works out.

8. sbrenton

sbrenton New Member

I am going to do the same and give it a shot. I will be ordering it from Amazon early next week when I order my new water tank :)

If it doesn't work out I can always put it on craigslist and resell it.

9. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

That's a neat contraption. Scott,, what do you tow and how is the tongue weight on your Traverse? Just our Thule swing away hitch mount bike rack must weight 50 lbs, plus the bikes and the camper might get it up there. Time to break out the scale! I'd like to hear how it works with the others once you get it installed.

10. sse70

sse70 New Member

Hey RFRYER ---we tow a 2000 rockwood premier ---it weights in at 3500lbs---we can tow up to 5200lbs ---no issues turning or backing up even with the 4 bikes---this thing is awsome ---highly recommend it -------------SCOTT

11. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Keep in mind that you are reducing your tongue weight capacity, since you are moving the ball even farther from the rear axle.

You will be reducing the tongue weight capacity, while at the same time adding tongue weight.

12. greatlakers

greatlakers New Member

Hey sse70,
    I think you sold us. Brian is ordering it right now. There is also an anti rattle metal plate that we see advertised. Wondering where that thing goes and what is it keeping from rattling.
    Our problem in the past with receiver style bike racks is that the bikes do jiggle around quite a bit. Sold our last one with the antique motor home, and are considering getting a different kind this year. Hanging vs Tire Mount???

13. Ksuburban

Ksuburban New Member

Please post results and pics anyone who is buying this. It looks like a great alternative to modifying the trailers rear bumper. I really like the idea of not adding any length to the overall setup.

14. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Scott, do you have any pictures of yours in use? We'd love to see them.

15. LennyO

LennyO New Member

Could it be safely inverted to use as a drop hitch receiver for a trailer? Or is it only safe to use the straight-thru for serious load carrying?

16. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I recommend thule roof racks, or even a front hitch if thats available for your setup.
    I someday plan on going with the front hitch route for bikes, canoe on the TV roof,gray tank,ect.
    Gotta find me some 430 tracker 2 feet cheap.

17. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

My issue with the front hitch is the bikes would take a beating from any road debris or bad weather. I use a roof rack on my other cars but on the Suburban it's very high and actually a problem with a low bridge I have to go under on one of our annual trips. It's also a pricey setup as you know. For me that duel receiver would be handy just to carry our bike rack around, even empty as when pulling the camper the bikes go on it's roof. It's after setting up camp that bike transport becomes the issue and the Thule swing-away carrier takes up a lot of room when just being stored and not attached to the hitch.