dumb question. How do you transport and setup your siverware/cooking utensils?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Spridle, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

We have yet to make a decent transition from two person tent camping kitchen setup to family of four kitchen setup. With the Laramie we packed the galley nicely but the cooking was done outside so it was a constant back and forth to the camper for even a single fork. We knew that wasn't going to work so we started putting the kitchen stuff in locking containers so we can easily move the whole kitchen outside.

Our first trip out in the Mesa was much more successful. Outdoor stove with a 4'x6' table set next to the stove and coming away from the camper for a nice "L" shaped setup. The food and cooking crates stacked below the table. Still need improvement here but vast improvement over anything we did the last year. Except the silverware, which was still inside the drawer in the pup. Useless.

What I had hoped to find was the typical upright silverware container with a locking top. The cheap plastic ones with space in the middle for some napkins and stuff. Now I searched a couple times before and never found much of anything with locking lids for silverware but it seems I just was using the wrong search terms as I just found this site http://www.shopwiki.com/l/Silverware-Storage

so I may have just answered my own question but I'd still like to hear what the pupportalbraintrust has come up with.

We've got a lot of work to do to have an efficient kitchen area but this last trip was by far our best setup since moving to a pup.

2. IVBENS

IVBENS New Member

We got a set at Walmart that came in a divided tray, like you could just slip it into a drawer and be ready to go. It has a clear cover on it too. We take it out of the drawer when needed, put it away when not. I just looked on their web site, search "flatwear" and you'll see a few different sets they have with hanging storage that might be more like what you are looking for.

3. Spridle

I looked all over the place and couldn't find any of those divided trays with a clear cover. I'll check out Wally. And yes part of my search problem was that I kept searching silverware. Once I used flatware and flatware caddy all kinds of stuff started showing up. To me it's all silverware and pop. There is no such thing as flatware or soda.

4. papachaz

papachaz New Member

you can also go to the fishing section of walmart and find various sized plano clear plastic boxes that have adjustable dividers. these work great for silverware (not so much for pop though) [:D] [;)]

5. nomoretent

nomoretent Member

We don't cook in the pup and I got tired of the in and out with the cooking utensils, so now everything goes in a giant sturdy construction-site-style locking tub. It stays outside and its easy to put in the back of the car at night. Basically our kitchen and bathroom is all in one box. Specifically, I use a plastic pencil case for the utensils and some tupperware from the dollar store for large stuff.

6. Spridle

7. Spridle

That's basically the direction we are heading except we like to keep the kitchen and bathroom stuff seperate [:D]

We grabbed a bunch of the smaller clear containers from Target. They fit nicely in the galley cabinets so they can stay in the camper. It's more to move but my wife seems to prefer to have a few smaller clear containers so she can see what is in them rather than one large bin. I was more for the large bin and just throw the one bin in the truck before we leave but she wanted to try this route first and it seems to be working for her.

8. IVBENS

IVBENS New Member

I was always taught "Don't Crap where you Eat"... [:D]

9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have a small plastic bin (about 14"x 8") with a locking lid that our kitchen utensils fit into. We also have a smaller plastic bin that just fits our silverware (4 forks, spoons & knives). These are stored under a seat cushion until we unpack. Then they are placed in a sliding drawer for use.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We keep some utensils in the pup, in a small Sterilite box with latches. Our pup is small, so they go into one of the bench storage areas for travel, and we have an assortment of the clear boxes to contain a lot of items in the pup; plates, teakettle (for travel) tissues and the like. I found double-sized DVD Really Useful Boxes that act almost like drawers in one cupboard space; there is empty space in them because I have bulky items in them, but at least I'm not losing things in the back of that area. Most of our cooking is still done outside. We have 3 main flat cooking boxes; 2 have food and one is the kitchen box. The flat boxes stack well, and it is easier to find things in shallow one. In the kitchen box, we have another, smaller box for eating utensils; a couple of larger cooking ones just ride loose in there. We also have a flip-tip tote with some bulkier items: fry pan, "pudding cup" (we make instant pudding for dessert), Coleman oven & some other items. We have a couple of other Rubbermaid totes and containers for snacks, hiking food and extras; after a mouse got into a previous vehicle on more than one occasion, we try to keep food less available to them.
    You can see the flat containers stacked in the back of the 4Runner in this pic; we used the same type of system in the Outbacks and in the car we had before them (the silver thing is our cooler with a Reflectix jacket):
    [​IMG]
    North Rim site by kitphantom, on Flickr

11. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Plano boxes are a great suggestion, as is keeping the kitchen and bathroom separated. [;)]

A few large bins for your consideration. I tried to dig up info on the manufacturer sites, but there's not much on the last two.

Rubbermaid ActionPacker series
    These aren't cheap when compared to containers of similar size, but they're hard to beat. Rugged and weather resistant, with lids that won't blow away like so many other options. I have two of the 24 gallon size ($40 at Amazon) that fit very nicely through my Coleman Yuma's door and into the aisle with the roof down. I plan to use these for all of my camp kitchen storage so I can easily move it around. I've also seen them at Ace/True Value hardware stores for $45.

Contico Pro Tuff Bin
    I've used a Contico Pro Tuff Bin ($65 at Lowe's) as a truck bed box for a few years with no complaints. These are very rugged and made of structural foam (PVC?) - you can stand on one. I added some 2" nylon webbing loops to the sides and threaded a ratcheting load strap through them to anchor points in the bed. If you have the room, this is an excellent option for storage in a Pup's tongue area (rain proof), or tossed into a truck bed without a worry.

Greene Horizon Mini Truck Box
    This is my new find. I wanted to add some storage for hoses and leveling gear to my Pup's remodeled tongue area, and I was very happy to find a box that perfectly fit in the space I had available. Construction is similar to the Contico boxes, and it comes with some truck bed mounting brackets (I'm not using them). I found it on sale for $30 at Walmart, but I think it's normally $40.

12. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

We have a Doskocil Campmate camp kitchen. They are not available any longer, but we love ours. It has storage for all of our cutlery, flatware, dishes, you name it.

13. Spridle

Nice boxes! I have no room left on the tongue but the TV is now the GMC work van with a bench seat for the kids. So super easy to throw things like that in the back. Still, the idea is to get a bunch of this stuff in the pup to reduce the load time and the chances of forgetting stuff. On the subject of larger storage ideas I had been considering getting a couple of the soft bags made to hold cargo on those hitch mounted cargo racks. At least on 'paper' they seemed like a nice size, easy to throw the gear in, water proof and less likely to tear up the pup floor when loading into the area inside the door.

14. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

If you can find one locally, I'd suggest giving an ActionPacker a try before a cargo bag.

Cargo bags can be a bit of a pain to move around when loaded, and there's not much ability to organize anything inside them once they're moved. From what you described, ActionPackers might be a better solution. I don't know what kind of interior space you have available inside your Pup with the roof down, but the 24 gallon AP easily makes the turn from the door to the aisle in mine, and their height comes fairly close to the stowed bunks, which reduces wasted space. I may add a third if I decide I need the storage space.

15. bigbluetraverse

bigbluetraverse New Member

we just happened to find a set with a tray on sale that had a removable lid.

16. Aladin Sane

I can second the action packer recommendation. We still use three of them that we started using during our tent camping days more than 20 years ago. I added one permanently to the tongue of my pup for wheel chocks and various pieces of wood to go under the stabilizers.

17. Spridle

OK I'll check out the AP and probably get one to try. The Mesa doesn't have much of an isle to put stuff in like the Laramie did but all the space is right inside the door and very easily accessible. To this point I have resisted the urge to modify anything but there are a few things that could be done for the under seat storage to seriously improve access and space. Not going to touch any of that though until we've made a few more trips and tried out a few of these other options.

18. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Another AP bonus is the lids are relatively heavy, and they securely latch on two sides. I've seen cheaper container lids sailing across campgrounds, even after they've been "sealed". An AP lid probably won't blow off if unlatched, and once secured, it isn't coming off.

They make nice tables around the campfire, too.

19. Aladin Sane

Not that this will help, but we have a couple of styles of action packers that appear to no longer be made. One is called a sports locker. It is just like the 24 gallon AP, but it has a different lid that has a couple of pockets cast into it that are covered by a hinged lid that snaps in place. The second is what looks like a half height 24 gallon AP. We use that one for dry food stuffs like bread or chips that we don't want crushed by things getting stacked on top of them.

20. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Yup, they culled the series awhile ago:
    http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091427

A friend of mine used some APs on a canoeing trip a few years ago and they relied heavily on an out-of-production size that perfectly fit in their packs for portaging. They were valued so highly that no one was allowed to sit anything on them for fear of damaging the Precious ActionPackers.

It's a shame Rubbermaid doesn't expand the AP line, but they must have their reasons. My guess is all of the pretenders have cut into their sales, but they're still the king in my book.