dumb question. How do you transport and setup your siverware/cooking utensils?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Spridle, Jun 5, 2012.

1. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

I have two clear plastic bins. The larger one holds the utencils (the lids opens like a briefcase), and the small one holds the silverware. We just toss them inside, no dividers. We carry plenty of silverware, just bought at garage sales or Salvation Army for pennies each, because I don't like to do dishes every meal. [:D]

2. DanielL

DanielL Member

We take a different approach that is working well for us...

We keep our eating supplies (plates, bowls, silverware, cups, etc.) in a picnic basket that gets stored under one of the side benches when not in use. When we are setting up, we just put the basket on one end of the picnic table outside or on the end of the table inside (if it is inclement weather). It keeps everything together and we can grab it and go if we want to do a picnic elsewhere. We keep service for 4 in it. Additional cooking utensils are stored elsewhere in the pup (some in bins; others in drawers).

Happy trails!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

I just use a tote with a cover. Easy to grab tote and take outside. Even spices that stay in the pup are in a seperate tote. That tote can also be used for soaking cedar boards for cedar plank salmon or chicken. Wash tote out,and spices go back in.

4. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I have four sporks.. That's just in case we cannot eat with our hands

5. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

we have a 3 draw plastic unit that slips nice in the PUP and east to get at when you need them.

6. skiball

skiball New Member

Befor we got the new dishwasher we had one with a square flatware bin with 4 compartments. We now use that as a caddy for our camping flatware. We keep it covered with a simple Ex-Large ziploc bag. I guess you will have to buy a new dishwasher now. Lol...

7. bfahs

bfahs Member

Currently we use a Camp Kitchen folding bag that stores all the utensiles and some small spices. Kinda like a folding shower kit.

Will likely be moving to some plastic bins next year as we work out what "works" for us as we complete the Tent - > Pup Transition

8. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

We use a Sterilite drawer unit with a utensil separator in it. It goes on the floor during transport and up on the counter when we get there. We put paper plates in one drawer, napkins in another, spices and hot sauce, chip clips and misc.

[​IMG]

We cook out side so I put my cooking stuff in a 14 gallon Rubbermaid bin, which fits under the dinette and then goes into a table with storage underneath it.

[​IMG]

Mamie likes this.
  9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have a set of silverware for 4 people we store in a small Rubbermaid container. Then a slightly larger container for the kitchen utensils. These get stored under the couch cushions.

10. Blackpot

Blackpot Spit, grit & duct tape - What more do you need ?

I'm with Tacoma_Jim on this one. It stores on the floor under weigh and moves to the top of the cabinet by the door so that you don't have to stand on your head to get stuff when you need it.

11. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

Our dishwasher came with 2 upright utensil holders, so we use one in the camper to hold all the silverware, serving utensils and even the long lighters and toothbrushes in the different compartments. It has a handle on top, so it is very convenient and we just keep it on the picnic table when we camp.

12. Spridle

Spridle Well-Known Member

Hard to believe I started this in June 2012, at the beginning of our second season pup camping. We are fully and truly entrenched in pup camping now, but still come up with new ways to make camp on every trip. The learning curve would be helped by more camping!

What I have learned is that it really doesn't matter what we do, we will still find a way to over complicate the s**t out of it every time. Perhaps it's our German heritage coming through :)

13. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I have 4 sporks and 4 cups.

CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM.

2000 Land Rover Discovery, loaded with ARB and ready for the end of the world.
    2008 Fleetwood Evolution E3, loaded and ready for the end of the world.
    1967 Heckaman Manufacturing, "Phoenix" 18FT travel trailer.. Beginning of Mobile Man-Cave process.

14. woobie

woobie My PUP is newer than my Tow Vehicle

Bring the least amount you want to wash. A quote, By Me.

15. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I use a milk crate for pots/pans. I use plastic zippered comforter/sheet set bags for others. It all comes outside for cooking [8D]

16. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

Target has some bins with a lid. Gray on three sides, the fourth side is clear and will drop down so you can get into it with out taking off the lid. We have four of them. I stack them on a table outside the A-liner with pots, pans, paper plates etc in them. I have one that has the flatware in drawers in it. Just drop a side down to get something out.

17. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

I just have a plastic container with tight lid, with all the silverware thrown in. Plenty for guests and for us. I have a seperate container for serving utencils, gadgets. I take them both out of the camper and simply set them on the one end of our 6' table under the awning.

18. Carmel-ized

Carmel-ized New Member

I see this is an old post but, since no one's mentioned it, I thought I'd share our solution to the silverware/utensil issue.

We use a roll up toiletry kit bag with a hook on top. We have TONS of cutlery and I separated it into spoons, knives, forks, etc. Our bottom compartment is extra deep and taller than the others so it's the perfect place for things like can openers etc. It fits in the drawer of our kitchen in the camper. When it's time to set up the kitchen and dining tent, I take it out, unroll it and hang it up near the table (or if I lack hanging space, roll it out along one side of the table). Then, it's self serve at mealtime for everyone. Works like a charm...

I see North Face is selling a "base camp" toiletries bag. Ours is similar to this but I bought it in the cosmetic section at the drug store. Ours has four pockets and is a little longer. You can certainly find such products for less than what these cost...

[​IMG]

19. Carmel-ized

Carmel-ized New Member

20. jonesclarinet

jonesclarinet Member

If you have them, baby wipe boxes are usually a good fit for silverware.

We have an older, flat (probably 6x10ish) Serve'n'Save container (like Tupperware, probably from the 80's) that my inlaws had their camping utensils in back then. It fits in a drawer in our pup.