dumb question. How do you transport and setup your siverware/cooking utensils?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Spridle, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

I know this thread is super old but as a newbie to pop up camping, I found something that works for me. We bought one of the plastic stackable drawer sets from Walmart. It has one large drawer and two smaller ones. The silverware goes in the top, cooking utensils in the middle and pots in the bottom. I slide into the camper last, just inside the door right next to our small folding table. As soon as we get to camp. I pull them both out and set up our outdoor cooking prep area. The drawers keep everything from getting wet/ dirt blowing around, etc.

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

They're kept in a drawer in the camper. We don't eat in our kitchen at home, and we usually don't eat in our camper while camping unless its raining or very cold. But in both cases we make a trip to the 'kitchen' for silverware.

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We used to use one of those table top carriers for the silverware and napkins. But we ended up getting two small plastic storage boxes just big enough for the silverware and a separate one for the napkins. This is so it makes it easier for storage. It also is easier for us when it comes to carrying things out for mealtime. But hey, it works for us!!

4. tjmama

tjmama Member

I like this idea, I currently have three containers that nest together but they have lids on top, so you constantly have to shuffle through them. And they all get stored in the "kitchen" box. Which works wonderfully as opposed to opps, let me go back into the pup and crawl on my hands and knees to grab ... That was my one pet peeve of having cabinets in the last pup. That and I could never remember which cabinet I put things in [LOL]

5. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

I use a small tool box base cabinet, has 2 drawers and a larger storage compartment on bottom. I think mine came from Sears, took the wheels off and added handles on both sides, weighs about 40 pounds loaded with all cooking stuff can be handled by 1 person. We don't do any cooking inside and this is very easy keeping everything in one place. I keep a small tarp to cover it with in case of rain.
    It is about 24 inches wide, 12 inches deep and 30 inches high. We just set it on a table.

6. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

After our backyard camp trial run, I knew keeping the kitchen stuff in the camper was not going to be an option. I wanted it accessible. We don't cook inside the Pup even when it's raining so I needed something that would be easy to use, stay dry and stay organized. One word of caution though. Check your clearance. I bought one that was too tall - didn't slide easily in and out of the side door when the top was down. I traded it in for a slightly shorter one. We keep our spices, dry goods, napkins and paper plates in a separate one.

7. tjmama

tjmama Member

Yes, measuring is a good idea! Thanks! :grin:

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Last year, we re-sorted all our kitchen & food boxes, ending up with several "Really Useful" ones for the back of the TV. They stack very well, and we have a couple that are shallower than the others, though the same size, so those work well for jerky, food bars, etc. In the pup, we had a small 3 drawer box that fit in one of the storage areas for travel and on a folding shelf on the "nightstand" in camp. That worked well for most of our silverware. The kitchen box in the TV has utensils, eating plates and bowls, etc.
    Now that we have the TT, we have 2 drawers in the kitchen that hold our main utensils, though we keep the kitchen box in the TV, since we may eat lunch while we're away from camp.
    We still do most of our cooking outside. However, our food supplies are kept in the TV and in the TT ('fridge/freezer, mostly), and we do not leave cook pots, utensils, etc. out except when we are cooking.

9. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

+1
    I picked up a Sterilite 6 drawer unit but it was too tall to fit closed up in the pup. I was able to snap the top off, remove one section and put the top back on. It stores on the floor and is used on one of the cabinets but could be taken outside. Top is silverware, next is large cooking items (wooden spoons, spatulas, knives, telescopic marshmallow sticks...). Drawer 3 is 8 hard plastic plates and cutting board, Drawer 4 is bowls, Tupperware tumbles and mugs and finally Drawer 5 with odd and ends like Ziploc bags, foil and wax paper.

10. Lugnutz

Lugnutz Member

Take the biggest utinsel you use (fork,Spoon,Knife) to Lowes or Home depot.Where they have the plastic containers there is a section that has containers with dividers,get one that can hold your utensils The dividers are adjustable.The extra spaces I place salt,pepper,condiments,toothpickes,sugar, whatever you get when you visit takeout food .It keeps things organized,clean and easy to get too.

11. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

sterlite 3/ 4 drawer units. bottom drawer holds plates, small drawers utensils & cookware.

2003 Skamper + 1996 Toyota T100
    life time camper, Girl Scout, DIY gal.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Lugnutz

Lugnutz Member

...get the biggest straw they make go to Lowes, HomeDepot, whoever has the clear plastic adj. partition boxes. Now, if it fits the straw it will hold everything else. I buy the clear plastic ware, so if it can be washed you do but if not you can dispose. In the same container I have the ind. catsup ,mustard salt /pepper given to you at fast food stores, Pizza places, Taco placess, Chinees food, etc. that stays in the rig.no bother taking in/out of unit and since it is in a container with a hinge lid it will be clean. My two cents.

13. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

[/img]https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=beaver+tree+chuck+box&fr=iphone&.tsrc=apple&pcarrier=AT&T&pmcc=310&pmnc=410[/img]

I use this Beaver Tree Chuck Box for all my cooking needs. Elimanates storing any cooking and cooking gear in the pup. Simplifies post camping cleanup. Never have to repop the pup to restock pots and pans? Silverware ect after final day breakdown.

I paid $200 for it and worth every penny for a pup owner.

14. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

I love this idea! Do you just throw everything in there or do you have one of those picnic baskets where everything has its own place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

This looks like a good idea
    http://blog.rei.com/camp/how-to-build-your-own-camp-kitchen-chuck-box/?cm_mmc=sm_pin-_-letscamp&crlt.pid=camp.6ViwY8rtrjLA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. desertwilde67

desertwilde67 Member

Definately not a dumb question. I have a cooler i bought @family dollar. I use that for all my dry goods, spices, etc. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go. I have my utensils in a plastic shoe box with a lid. Pots and and cast iron under the dinette bench and plates and bowls under the sink. I have a plastic tub i usually use to bring stuff in and out. After seeing what others are doing, i think I'm going to change my plan of attack!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

17. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

My kitchen changes with the trip. If I am going to be setting up for just a day, I use my Pelican case that I have some essentials in. For long weekends I have a Beaver Tree chuck box that I really like, and it holds just about everything I need. For week long trips I use take my Campmate Camp Kitchen. I really like the Campmate - it is probably one of my favorite pieces of gear. It is, however, quite large, and takes up more room than the Beaver Tree unit. As I do not have a pick up or a large van/SUV I am limited on space. Neither will fit in the PUP when it is down, so they have to travel in the TV.

Silverware and cooking utensils either live in one of the dedicated trays on the camp kitchens, or in a clear plastic shoe box in the Pelican, although I plan to add a lid organizer to make better use of that space.

I bought the Campmate on craigslist some years ago as it has been long since discontinued, and the Beaver/Pelican cases both came from different garage sales, and I paid probably $20 each for them.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Last year, we changed our storage containers once again. We kept the Really Useful boxes in the back of the new TV, which is a Chevy Colorado pickup. However, on our trip in May, we took gravel roads and discovered that, not only was the truck bed no where near as dust proof as we'd hoped, the Really Useful and Sterilite boxes we were using for food and some cooking utensils also leaked dust. After a very long cleaning session, we reevaluated what we carried and where.
    Since we are now using the TT as a kitchen base, we opted to move the few utensils, etc. that were left in the TV into the TT. When we cook outside, it's as easy to take what we need from TT to kitchen area as it was from TV there; we don't leave supplies out when we're not using them. We also cut down on some of the packaged food supplies, ones that we no longer used since we have a refrigerator and freezer in addition to the cooler. We fit the 2 or 3 Really Useful boxes left into the TT.
    We keep snack foods inside the cab of the TV. If we're out for the day, we pack cheese yogurt and other food in the cooler, along with a sharp knife and eating utensils.

We have been cooking more in the TT than we expected to do, partly due to our issues with rain/shade structures over the last year or so. With our pups, especially the second one, we had better shelter under the awning than we do with the one on the TT. We think we have better options for shade for this season, so hope to be back to cooking outside.

19. DanielL

DanielL Member

We keep it organized, but the picnic basket itself does not have a specific design. The key is to keep the flatware together, plates together, and get stuff that stacks relatively flat and is not thick. The cups/mugs are relatively small. Most of the stuff is from an inexpensive Coleman set I purchased at Walmart.

20. kstephens

kstephens Member

We use this as well. It serves as our traveling pantry. It fits perfectly upright when the pup is down in the aisle between cabinets and dinette. We keep utensils in the two drawers in our pup - bout a cheap pair of flatware and organizer at big lots for a few dollars, and gradually have accumulated cooking utensils.
    We use the storage under one of the dinette benches for all of our cookware - we cook quite a bit, so we have quite a few pots and pans and an griddle for pancakes. We cram the kids sleeping bags on top of it while in transport and it keeps everything from moving around.