dumb question. How do you transport and setup your siverware/cooking utensils?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Spridle, Jun 5, 2012.

1. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

I don't feel like reading through the entire thread, so to answer the OP's question:

DW made two silverware roll bags, one for the tableware and one for the cooking utensils. It keeps them all together pretty well and we don't have the odd piece drop through a hole in the bottom of the galley cabinet. It also helps with setting the table or digging for other items that might be in the galley.

It looks something like this, but with different fabric:

[​IMG]

She only spent a few minutes making them and used some scraps she already had laying around.

2. smhartman

smhartman Member

Hi everyone,

I use a plastic removable 1 tray tackle fishing box, approx. 14" long, by 8" tall. All grill utensils, knives, spatulas, etc. are stored in the bottom. Then we use the tray that is attached to the lid for other small items. We just grab the tackle box and set it on picnic table while preparing meals and store it easily in camper after clean up. It's the easiest thing. I'll take a picture when we open up for spring break in April.

I like knives, forks and spoons, plates, and napkins in a caddy so those are stored separately. My caddy has a space for plates and bowls. It was too big for home use so now its in popup.

Hope this helps,

Susan

3. Pirate Queen

Pirate Queen New Member

That is fabulous! I love that idea and it looks as though it would be easy enough to sew up!

Yet another thing for my to-do list [:D]

4. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

I have one drawer with the standard divider in it for all the silverware as well as the sharp knives and assorted like items. I bought the divider at a garage sale for 10 cents...works great.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We now have divider trays in our TT drawers. Our big problem was that the drawers are too small/shallow for standard dividers. I tried the adjustable ones for RVs that have a spring loaded end - that was fun, the thing leaped out at me the first time I opened the drawer after driving to a campsite. I finally found Huntzler dividers which fit great, and can stack two high in our shallow drawers.

In our second pup, I found a small drawer stack that our eating utensils (we finally switched to real flatware) fit in. It fit nicely under one of the dinettes for travel. and on a folding shelf in camp.
    [​IMG]new shelf and utensil box by Andrea Vaughan, on Flickr

6. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Well-Known Member

Yes, it was a very simple thing for her to do. Since it doesn't get washed that often there's no need to hem all the edges to keep them from unraveling, so you can take a few more shortcuts in making it. Prior to using this the cooking utensils were just laid in the galley and the flatware were held together by type using hair bands. That worked alright, but left quite a bit to be desired.

7. Novarich

Novarich Active Member

Probably the neatest thing I've seen lately on Pinterest. I am considering it myself.

Attached Files:

8. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

They are nice but a little heavy. We have 3 of those to hold our VEX robotics stuff for the school after school robotics club.

9. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

am i the only one who cut into my cabinet frame to make a drawer unit fit inside the cabinet? i have a short 3drawer unit in the pup & a tall 5 drawer unit in the cargo kitchen trailer. the pup has real flatware & real dishes. (mom wanted first class!)

https://krazykatsmeow.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/img_0505.jpg
    see my other upgrades here.

[​IMG]

you can see my marker line at the top where i cut the opening to enlarge it, and where i removed the flimsy shelf made of the wood veener.

if i need it all outside - just take the whole drawer.
    love Sterlite. (i should own stock!)

Sent from my iPad