Dumb Question - How to jack up trailer?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by burtonfamily101, Jun 19, 2019.

1. burtonfamily101

burtonfamily101 Member

Hey All,

Sorry for the dumb question, I will packing my bearings in a week a two. But what is the best practice for jack up the trailer? I mean I have done this many times on my tuck but that also has a parking break not small yellow chocks.

I was thinking of leaving it attached to the truck to help keep it from moving then jack up the frame? Then repeat for the other side.

thank you

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Leaving it on your truck is a good idea. I’m sure trailers are different but I jack from the frame.

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Need to know the make, model and year of your pup.
    If it has leaf springs remember that you should not jack it up under the axle. Best place to jack it up is right behind the rear shackle of the leaf springs. Make sure to chock the opposite wheel before jacking it up.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I usually leave mine attached to the truck, even if you just chock it you can only work on 1 side at the time.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Jack.jpg

6. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Active Member

Thanks for asking this question, as I'm looking into it for the same reasons.

I have a 2014 Rockwood 1640ltd. Just reading the manual it doesn't have a diagram or as much info as the attachment in the previous post. It just says to place the jack directly under the camper frame.

Do I need a torque wrench to put the lug nuts back on?

7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

You should have a torque wrench to put the tires back on. If you have an Autozone, O' Reilly's, or Advance auto parts near you, they will loan you one at no overall cost. When you pick it up, they will charge you for the tool, but then when you return it, they give you your money back. Just a heads up, if you pay with a debit card, they take the money out right away, but it can take three days for them to put it back. I just use cash and they paid me back in cash.

8. Spaceace5150

Thanks for the tip!

9. Spaceace5150

I also have my own silly question...

I want to replace both tires on my 2014 Rockwood 1640ltd.

Can I remove both tires at the time time and have the camper on jack stands?

The reason I ask is that I can't find the same tires available on the white wheel (ST 145R12 E 95L). Etrailer and other places only sell lower load tires on the white rims. I was thinking I'd have to take them both off and get the new tires mounted somewhere.

Thanks!

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

yes, you can support the trailer with jack stands, I would put them on the main frame just rear of the axle with the tongue on the ground or low in its dolly wheel/leg

11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

I had my ALiner on four jacks stands (two rear, two front) while I did the Spring Over Axle conversion and also replaced the leaf spring bushings and bolts. In the attached photo the red rear stands are visible, the front stands (black in color) not so much (hidden by the bed lifts that we place under the stabilizers). The bed lifts are great - the nest for stowing when not in use. WE used to use them under our camp table in our pre-Aliner days.

Attached Files: