Dumb Question... tent sites ok?

Discussion in 'Washington' started by juliemama, Feb 21, 2016.

1. juliemama

juliemama New Member

Perhaps this is obvious to everyone but me, but do State Parks and other campgrounds have any issues with popups being in tent sites? We don't ever really need the hookups but I like the more private tent sites. It's cool, right?

2. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

Around here many "tent sites" are walk in sites, no way it would work.

3. juliemama

juliemama New Member

"Around here" ? Are you from Washington State?

4. WingShot

WingShot New Member

Not cool in State Parks "around here" either. I guess that includes Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico.

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a definitive answer on a specific state park, it would be best to contact a park ranger or the state Parks and Rec office to get the question answered officially.

However, in most places I've been to that say "tent only" there is physically no way to get an RV or motor vehicle into the site. Your PUP is not classified as a tent, it is classified as a vehicle, hence the license plate, registration and VIN. But like I said, your specific park may have a different approach to site control, and it is worth giving them a call to get the official answer.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

As others have said, it depends on the definition of "tent site". Read the descriptions carefully, and call the park if you have any doubts. In some places, there are walk-in sites, so no way to park a trailer. In others, it simply depends on the size of the parking area. For instance, there are sites in USFS, National and state park campgrounds that we have used with ground tents, either/both of our pups and now our small TT. Both of our pups were small, 6 & 8' (13' and 17' extended), the TT is 19', so larger pups or TTs would be limited to larger parking pads.

7. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

It's fine in OR state parks as long as the tires are on the parking pad and nothing sticks out over a trail or road.

8. BaysideJim

BaysideJim Member

In my experience here in Colorado at least, tent sites tend to just fine as long as your TV and Pup fit in the parking spot. If passing up on hookups is not an issue then a tent site should be just fine.

9. Yes Dear

Yes Dear Member

If it fits nothing is ever said. Just don't hang out on roadway or park off parking pad. Never had and problems.

10. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

One night, as I was setting up in the dark in a tent site, a ranger pointed out that I had no utilities on the site and asked what I'd do for power. I told him I had a battery, and he sharply asked whether I had a generator. I said no. He glared at me, his fiery eyes piercing the darkness, suspicious that I might be lying. I pointed out that I had a solar panel, which should not have been necessary to point out, because it was obvious. He immediately became friendly again.

So, if you're planning on running a generator in a tent site, you might get some hostility from the ranger or your neighbors.

11. juliemama

juliemama New Member

Thank you all for your input! [8D]

12. juliemama

juliemama New Member

(and how interesting that everyone who replied is not from Washington, although I posted in the WA forum!( [?:~{] [:D]

13. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

Depending on what Device and app you use to view, it's not obvious that it was in the WA forum. It just appears in the timeline.

14. ryan the geek

ryan the geek Member

Pa state parks you should be fine. Most parks here are tent/camper, but we list site lengths so you will know if your camper and car will fit. Private CG are a little different. Last year we went to deer valley and had a tent site and it was horribly un-level ( like over 12" out of level). Do your homework and call the ranger/CG is my advise

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

This question is asked every now and again, and isn't usually limited to one state. I answered it from the "Recent Topics" sidebar, where the section it has been posted in is not listed.

If you do plan on using a generator, some parks have no-generator loops that may accommodate everything from huge RVs to tents. Most parks and campgrounds have generator hours, so factor that in. Other places do have tent-only loops (Watchman CG at Zion NP is an example), but that should be obvious on the listing. Calling for specific information is your best recourse if it isn't clear on a reservation site. If you do that, be clear on your question and take down the name of the person you talk to, just in case.

Also, campsitephotos.com can be helpful to see some campsites while you're looking. Not all campgrounds are listed, they keep adding more. Some photos are more helpful than others - one group of photos we were looking at for a CO SP had closeup photos of the site number posts - not as useful as a view of the whole site.

16. R00

R00 Active Member

In CA I haven't had a problem using tent sites for the popup, but be warned, sites meant for tents are usually not given leveling priority, and may have more overhanging tree branches.

17. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Most regulars click on unread topics when logging on. It lists all new topics regardless where it is put. The sub folders work well when looking for something specific but if there was no new topic button 3 people might have seen your post.

So when replying you get a broad range of answers. If you want a specific answer, ask a more specific question. Washington is still a very general area. I'm in Indiana. Some parks tent only means don't think about anything with wheels - others are more lax. It more often depends on the friendly officers assigned to the area.

The best suggestion is to call the particular park you are wanting to know about and ask. Even if somebody responded you'll be fine because they haven't had a problem doesn't mean that every location is that way.

Another general answer is that if your pup and vehicle stay on the pad you should be ok is also correct. So knowing your minimum setup length would be good info to have as most sites have the pad size in the description of site. But.... this also isn't allowed on every campground that is tent only which is why calling the specific campground is the best option.

18. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Yeah, and I posted info for OR since we're neighbors.

19. juliemama

juliemama New Member

Thank you everyone! I do appreciate you all; just thought it was funny that replies were from everywhere! The "New Topics" thing makes sense.

Happy Camping! [PU]

20. Yes Dear

Yes Dear Member

Juliemama I am from WA