Dump station connector for aquatainer and portable toilet

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Aaron1613, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Aaron1613

Aaron1613 New Member

We just got back camping for the first time with our popup at a campsite and we were confused about how to dump gray water and portable toilet.

We are collecting gray water in a 7gal aquatainer and we have a portable toilet for outside that has a similar size hole as the aquatainer. The dump station had an rv hose attached to the sewer, so what we ended up free hand dumping the containers into the hose since it was just liquid waste, but it was not very fun.

Is there some sort of connector I can use to run a hose/connector from aquatainer to rv hose hookup at dump station so I'm not pouring it down the tube and splashing everywhere?

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I'm assuming there was not a bath house to use and just pour it down the toilet?

HappyTraveler and DiamondGirl like this.
  3. Aaron1613

Aaron1613 New Member

We weren't sure if it was ok to dump the gray water down since it had toothpaste and soap, and the toilet had RV toilet stuff in it?

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Just pick the seat up first. That's what goes in septic systems. Sinks and toilets are all connected going to the same sewer system.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Ask at the campground office. Some of our Provincial Parks allow both grey water from a small tank and blackfrom porta potti to go down toilets, others want both down at the dump station, and others yet will allow grey water down a toiletbut want the black down the dump station.

Freehand pouring is about all you could have done. Never seen a dump station with it's own hose before..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Agreed, i never sceen one with a hose eaither. Most places dont like you using the tolet as a dump, there afraid you will spill it everywhere. Usally the portable tolets are pretty simple, open , start to dump and open the vent. Then rinse and your done. The gray is a bit more complex. And depends on how its stored. Get a garden hose for the tank then dump it down the drain? I had a tote, and it was a pain with the garden hose but doable.

Orchid likes this.
  7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I don't think I have seen one with a sewer hose connected before. All the ones I have run across are flip caps in the ground. If you couldn't remove the hose I would have headed to a bathroom or do what you had to do. My grey water tank has a sewer connector though so easier for me to do it.

HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Sounds like someone may have driven off and left their hose connected. I've never seen such a thing.

I would have tried to take the hose off, but if it was my first time dumping and I didn't know better, I would have done exactly what you did.

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Aaron1613

Aaron1613 New Member

We actually went to 3 different ones at the campground and each one had the hose already in it with the connector on the end to hook it to the camper. Maybe to make it quicker, I don't know?

Good to know it's normally just a hole with a lid, that actually makes things a lot simple than messing with a nasty hose that everyone's using.

Orchid likes this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Most the dumps I've seen are a hole with a lid with a "foot pedal" on it. The lid only stays up if you're stepping on it (or something is attached). But there's no way to dump the aquatainer or toilet down the hole without making a mess that gets all over ones shoe.

There has to be a better way?

Orchid and Aaron1613 like this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I never had a problem dumping the cassette. Maybe the portable ones are diffrent?!? Easy as anything, no mess at all.

12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

There is always a rock around. Most of the time there is one by the hole that people use to keep it open while dumping cassettes and the like.

Orchid likes this.
  13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I was going to mention this. No rocks laying around in Florida, but every dump station I've seen here has a brick there to use.

14. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I've only been to one in a couple decades of camping that had a sewer hose attached. I was a big fan. They also had a threaded hose for clean outs. The camp ground host provided the tools. I would have tipped him $5 for how much quicker the line seemed to go. I wear gloves even with my hose so it didn't seem any nastier than usual.