Dust

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by Espeycaver, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Espeycaver

Espeycaver Member

Good grief I camped in Big South Fork and on the last day drove to the twin arches. Its about 5 miles down a dusty gravel road and 5 miles back. Got home and realized the camper is not sealed too good. Dust all over the plates, utinsils and cups. Found out most of it came in through the fenders. Luckily most of the dust was inside the cabinets. I tightened the fenders and siliconed them.

2. capy235co

capy235co Member

Good information. I recently had the dirt road experience and now remember the coffee pot kept in a cabinet with a wheel well was awfully dusty when I rinsed it out prior to use. Looks like I have a further inspection to do.

Thanks
    Wayne

3. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Traveling down some dusty gravel roads will disclose those not so sealed areas!

One time I had neglected to completely close the roof vent when we were moving from camping spot on down a gravel road about 18 miles and I found out about it - what does that trailer do ... create a vacuum ...?

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I also had a lot of dust infiltration when pulling my old PUP on gravel and dirt roads. It required many hours of cleaning when I returned.

5. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Out here dust is a way of life (hence my name. [:D] ) Not much we can do about it. We pack everything in plastic trash bags and store it in milk crates. When we get to our destination, we just unwrap the bedding and make the bunks, open the bags of cooking equipment (leaving them in the crates,) and go for it. There's not much else we can do, really.

6. USKustoms

USKustoms pimp my trailer

+1 on the plastic bags. We are on dirt roads all the time here in AZ.
    If it's a real long dusty road, we use duct tape to seal the roof and the door. [DUCT]

7. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

We haven't had to resort to taping up yet, but I thought about it a couple of times. Our favorite campsite is on private property about 18 miles away, so it's not too long of a road. It's pretty rocky/sandy at the site itself, so most of the dust comes from the road to and from. I don't know about AZ, but this fine alkali dust here in NV is invasive stuff. Imagine tan/gray flour, and that's about what we're dealing with. If it can find a way in, it'll take advantage of it.

I forgot to mention before that we pack clothes in Space Bags. We don't use the vacuum on them - just flatten the bags with our hands. Once at the site, we put the clothes in our little plastic 3 drawer units from Wally World. That takes about 2 minutes to do. Once home, the whole interior of the pup gets a wipe down and vacuum with the shop vac, and we're ready for the next trip.

8. Unstable_Tripod

I've used the big plastic lawn waste bags for years. I put jackets, sleeping bags, pillows, duffel bags and just about anything else in them. They're great for dust protection.

This past summer we went to the Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho after leaving the Grand Tetons. I loved the place on one level because it was so unique but man, the dust was horrible. It was as fine as talcum powder and got in absolutely everywhere. What made it worse was that the wind never stops blowing during the day (thermal currents over the black lava landscape). I didn't dare take my cameras out of their gear bags (locked in the safety of the truck). That was sad because the point of going there was to photograph all of the incredible lava formations and caves (lava tubes).

Went we got home I had to scrub the TrailManor from ceiling to wheels. The dust was hard to see but when you ran your fingers along a surface you could feel the grit. I had white rags about a foot square and when I ran a damp one over a counter top and then looked at it I had a charcoal gray hand print in the middle of it.

9. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Got an underwater camera housing. Some of the flexible plastic ones aren't too expensive. Might be worth a try.

10. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We spent three weeks, often off road, in the Utah deserts back in August. Dust all over the outside of the camper but none inside, except what we'd track in camping. Guess we have pretty good seals and gaskets.

Now our battery box absolutely filled with dust and the battery itself was caked with it. That despite having a lid. Probably got in through the vent holes and the bolt holes on bottom.

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unfortunately, an underwater housing wouldn't work very well for my situation. I'm often using a light meter, tripods, two or three cameras and a variety of lenses at any given time. If it's close work I may have a flash and reflector out too. This kind of dust can scratch filter surfaces, get into extendable tripod legs and ruin the lock mechanism, and trash numerous other types of equipment to say nothing of destroying lenses and cameras.

12. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Ditto here.....it's just a part of it. I keep things like my pots and pans, utensils, etc in their original packaging or in some other packaging to cut down on the dust, but most need at least a rinse before use. Doesn't bother me really.....been doing this now for 37 years.