dutch oven age

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by morrell2, Oct 27, 2013.

1. morrell2

morrell2 New Member

Whats the age of your dutch oven, any antiques out there still in use?

2. campermom

campermom Member

Mine is about 40-50 years old. Passed down to my by extended family. They used to primitive camp with canvas tents and buckskin clothing. That is just too much for me [;)]. But I am sure happy to have the DO. Just waiting for the rest of the cast iron camp gear to make it my way.

3. Craig57

Craig57 New Member

My DOs are less than ten years old. I have my Grand Ma's old CI skillet.
    It is at least 70he years old. The cooking surface is smoother than teflon. Use it all the time & think of her often.

4. Indy

Indy Member

My DO is only a year old, so not quite ready for the record books. I also have a cast iron skillet and pot from my mom that I'm unsure of the age, but I'm guessing they are older than me (>38).

5. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Active Member

My DO is not a year old yet, but I do own several CI skillets that has been passed down and I wonder how old they might be?

-DigitalGuru

Sent from my Galaxy S3.

6. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Most of my Dutch ovens are less then 10 years old. I do have one that is roughly 50 years old, that I picked up at an auction. I also have lots of Griswold skillets I got from my grandmother.

7. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

I have one that I have no idea of it's age. I was told at the recent rally Iwent that it was an antique.. Still gets lots of love from me. [:D]

8. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Nope, My 3 DOs are each less than 5 years old.

9. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

One of mine is around 10 years old,and the other is around a year or less.

10. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Bought them all same time round 15 years ago. Had to re-season one once when a well meaning church lady who had never owned cast iron scoured my seasoning off after a church pot luck... I tried very hard to not cry in front of everyone and had to leave and let my wife get the DO.

CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM.

2000 Land Rover Discovery, loaded with ARB and ready for the end of the world.
    2008 Fleetwood Evolution E3, loaded and ready for the end of the world.
    1967 Heckaman Manufacturing, "Phoenix" 18FT travel trailer.. Beginning of Mobile Man-Cave process.

11. natty bumppo

natty bumppo 2009 F-150,1998 Coleman Westlake

Wife and I were disappointed to discover the Lodge store at Myrtle Beach had closed. I told her I didn't see how they could stay in business after all DOs last a lifetime+. Most people buy the sizes they need and you're set for life. Your house could burn "hope not" and you could dig those DOs out and with a little elbow grease they'd be like new.

12. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We have a DO and couple skillets that came from my Great Grandmother, that puts them over 50 at least. I have bought only 1 piece of new CI in my life, a 2 Qt DO for kayak camping trips....

13. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

My DO is from my grad mother, it's over 90 yr's old. It was given to her in the mid 1920's

14. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

if all goes as planned i may be scoring on a vintage griswold peice at the end of the week [;)]

15. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Active Member

Wow, I just did some research and found out I have two Wagner Ware & Wagner National cast iron skillets from 1915 to 1935!

-DigitalGuru

Sent from my Galaxy S3.

16. chippers

chippers New Member

My DO's are only a few years old. But I inherited my grandpa's cast iron "bean pot" - at least that's what he always called it. It has a lid too. I use it a couple times a year when cooking for a crowd. He always claimed it had come over from Ireland with a great great....etc grand relative of some sort. That would have been in the mid 1800's. But grandpa was known to exaggerate, so I take it with a grain of salt. It's hard to imagine anyone crossing an ocean with something that big and heavy. It is a really pretty curvy shape and does look very old. My mom can vouch for it being at least 70 years old, because she remembers it being around the house and camp when she was little.

17. froggie

froggie New Member

My dutch oven with legs I got as a Christmas present last year. The others are passed down from my grandmother, aunts, etc. and are probably 50 - 90 years old. Love them all!

18. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Better keep a leash on the one with legs! LOL

19. electronflux

electronflux Member

I don't know the age of the 10" I use camping all the time, but it is old.
    I have a 50 yr old #8 Wagner Ware kitchen DO with the lid, a newish #8 Lodge kitchen DO with the lid, a new #12 Lodge camp DO and a new 7qt Lodge kitchen DO with glass lid.

I also have 2 #8 "ERIE" Skillets that are over 100yrs old and other CI that are between new and 80ish yrs old.

Click my camera icon to see my CI album.

20. rabird

rabird Howdy!

My 10 has a skillet handle and a gate mark on the back where the iron was poured into the mold, wish I knew more about my spider!

[​IMG]