Dutch oven, cast iron grill or pan?

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Chloe, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

I've been thinking of getting one of these, though maybe I need all 3! Looking for opinions....

If my only choice for cooking is on an open-top gas grill (no open/wood fire), which item would be more versatile? I might not want to use my good stainless steel pan on a grill, so that's why I thought of cast iron, though I have little experience with it. But then, the grill is open... there's no lid to close, like on my grill at home. So maybe Dutch oven would be better? Unless I just use foil as a cover... or get a pan with cover (though I haven't ever seen one).

I'm thinking of making soup, stew, anything liquidy, but also for eggs, bacon,etc. I don't want a non-stick grill, for health reasons and because I know it will scratch.

On top of this is the question of what size to get! DH and I are light eaters... 1 quart of stew is more than enough for 1 meal. Dogs would likely get some of that. So, I was thinking a flat, 2 or 3 quart Dutch oven would be fine? That could leave us with leftovers for lunch.

Anyway, looking for thoughts on the most ideal setup. Maybe Dutch oven and a CI grill would work best? Thanks!!!

2. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Well a Dutch Oven will be the most versatile. Can use it on a grill. stove or fire, fry, stew or simmer, add the lid and bake. size...just 2 I would suggest an 8 and 10 inch....add a 12 for baking dump cakes, 16 deep for baking chickens...you see where this is going....

3. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

We use a 10 inch cast iron pan for most things but do have a set of stainless pans and skillet as well. We cook on a Coleman propane stove.

4. Winchested

Winchested Member

Id say dutch oven too if you only had to have just one. My next cooking item is a flat griddle that will fit on the HP stove outside. Mind you the HP stove does not have good temp control its either off or way too hot it seems.

5. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

If you could only choose one, I would go with a combo dutch oven/skillet. This one is 3.2 qts, and the skillet is fitted to act as a lid for the dutch oven.

[​IMG]

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

For small amounts of stew for 2 I would recommend an 8" dutch oven, anything larger and it will be spread too thin over the bottom and more likely to scorch. The legged camp oven is more versatile because the lid can be reversed over the camp stove and used as a small griddle, great for warming tortillas and if you're careful can even be used to fry eggs or pancakes. I use my camp ovens on the stove all the time.

For frying 4 strips of bacon you really can't beat a 10" ci skillet. You could do it in an 8 or 9 inch if you cut the bacon strips in half and don't crowd the pan. The 9" ci is actually my favorite skillet for most purposes.

Amazon has a large selection of light weight "universal lids" if you feel you need a lid for the skillet.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  7. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Actually, the hardest part of going smaller is finding good utensils that are the right size to use with the smaller pans.

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I always found trying to cook in a pan using a grill to be very inefficient. Personally I would pick up a stove, you will be much happier.

9. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

Much thanks for the replies! I've compiled the votes...

• 8/10/12" DO (yetavon) (I can see how it can become an obsession and I'm definitely prone to that, lol)
    • 10" CI pan on stove (lostboy)
    • DO, flat griddle (Winchester)
    • Combo DO/skillet (bsandey)
    • 8" DO, legged version, 8/9/10" CI skillet (SteveP)
    • Stove with CI pan (Sneezer)

So, I guess I'll have to see how the grill performs. It's coming with our ALiner. Do these tend not to have good temp control like a home grill? Our home grill has a side burner... maybe we should get a single burner for camping.

We will likely have a gas stove inside the camper but prefer not to use it for food (maybe for tea). We have a Coleman stove that hasn't been used in years. Have to consider that!

So, DO seems to win out. I like the idea of that combo one. I have some more research to do!

10. kstephens

kstephens Member

my most used is the 12" dutch oven, and 12"skillet and the griddle.

11. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

So, you're saying... I need all 3?
    Yeah, that's what I suspected! [:D]

12. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

No, you don't need them. But you will want them, and will buy them. It's an addiction. And the next thing you know, you'll be the proud owner of a cast iron waffle iron! (you know you want it, so go ahead and order it now)

[​IMG]

13. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

Ha! Yes, want and need are two different things.
    I do intend on getting some kind of pie irons or something...
    We are quickly acquiring lots of camping gear that we didn't need with our tent... and bulking out the stuff we did have.
    Savers was a great source of flatware... $1.50 for about 6 pieces of each... forks, soup spoons, butter knives. $4.75 total, incl tax. Thinking about either a picnic basket or gardening tool tote to put flatware and plates/bowls.

14. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Wanting and needing are, indeed, two different things. Once you start using them, you'll want it all. However, truth be told, I can do it all with a single 12" Camp Oven. I might have to do it in stages, but that one camp oven will fry, grill, roast, bake, you name it... After that, you can judge better which one you'll buy next. Eventually, you'll have one of everything. :)

15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Adding my [2C] . I would get probably the below dutch oven, (I have a 10") The lid serves as a frying pan without the handle (flat top), but you can still use it as a regular dutch oven. The lid doesn't hold coals very well, but if you cut the bottom out of those foil pans for pies it can help hold the coals on, or, what I did is go onto the lodge site and bought another traditional lid with the lip and just interchange depending on my meal. At least that is what works for me and I didn't have to break the bank. Of course over the years my CI has grown to include an 8" frying pan in addition to a griddle. Yeah, once you catch the CI bug it just grows. [CK]

Attached Files: