1. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

Ok I am sure there is a forum on this already but trying to figure out what size of DO to purchase. We are a family of 4 and I see the different sizes but opinions please, 4, 6, 8 or 10qt? Thanks guys!

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

3. rwilliek

rwilliek New Member

We have both the 10-inch and 12-inch for a family of five. I bought the Lodge brand dutch ovens. I looked at a couple brands, including Cabela's, but decided on the product made in the US.

Check your local Walmart camping department out, they may have some. I bought the 12-inch there at a better price than I could find else where.

4. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I have a 10" shallow (4 qt) and a 12" deep (8 qt).

If I were to have only one, I'd go for a 12" shallow (6 qt) Lodge. I think they're 3-3/4" deep.

We are a family of four and we cook chicken breasts with vegs, cobblers, mountain-man breakfasts and such. A 6 qt would be perfect for us.

5. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

Ok, I am going with a 12" 8 qt, so legs or no legs, any advantages or disadvantages?

6. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

From what I understand, the leg less ones are for stove top and oven. You need legs to be able to put the charcoal underneath. But my experience is limited. Someone will have a more expert opinion! :)

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I was going to say you need at least a queen sized bed, king size would be better, more then one person sleeping in the bed (preferably 3 or 4 persons) and a super large thick blanket .. and best if you eat chilli or some sort of greasy food.. Pull blanket up over the other peoples heads, and let er rip and giggle as the "green gas of doom" envelopes the other persons ... Then I realized you were talking about the OTHER type of Dutch Oven....

I have little experience with this kind of dutch oven, but I was told you want at least 2 quarts per person, so for a family of 4 the smallest you'd want would be an 8q .. No reason not to get a larger 12q and just cook the amount required for 4 persons, other then it may take longer to cook ...

8. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

Leg less is for in an oven. For heating with charcoal you need the one with legs.

9. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

^^^ [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

OK, I have both legged and legless. legs for charcoal cooking, legless gets used on my Explorer 3X campstove

10. Heritage

Heritage New Member

I say both. 12" for the main dish, 10" for dessert.

11. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

Lmao [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]
    That's funny!

12. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

4, 6, 8 AND 10qt!

Seriously, You want the legs, like stated its for holding the pot above the coals. They also have the rimmed lids for holding coals on top....You can still use them on a gas burner or in an oven.
    Size....We have 8" 10" and a 12", and cook in stacks all the time. Last dinner was here at home, 12" had jalapeno and cream cheese stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in bacon, 10" with a cherry dump cake, 8" on top with green beans and onions with cheese.....
    DO camping hint #1
    Mountain Man breakfast or Dumpcake shared with camp neighbors makes friends

13. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

I have 2-10s and 4-12's and use all of them at any given time. DH started getting a little testy about all the cast iron I was acquiring. [}:)]

14. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

My first one was a Lodge 12" deep. Next was the 10" shallow. This combination works great for my family of 4. One benefit of the 12" deep is you can roast a whole chicken in it.