Dutchman Lift Help

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by DWSUzuki, Mar 31, 2007.

1. DWSUzuki

DWSUzuki New Member

Hello all! We were recenlty given a Dutchman PopUp by my grandparents. They haven't had time to use it in ages and are no longer strong enough to raise it up. Well, when I was opening it up for the first time in Camp Driveway, the cable broke and everything came crashing down. I've called a local RV shop in Northwest Florida that told me it would be about $1,200 to replace the cables (said the cables were cheap, but the labor was high). My questions are:

1. Does that sound like a fair price?
    2. I'm pretty handy, is this something that I could do myself? And if so, is there a good resource online that would show me how this system works?

Thank you all for your advice! My wife and I are looking forward to using this when I go race motorcycles and on weekend waterski trips. Not to mention that I would really like to set it up for my grandparents so they can go camping without having to do the work before it gets too hot.
    Thanks again!!!

2. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

You can buy the cable at Lowes or Home depot (Stainless Steel), get a manual and replace yourself, but you will need two people for this job. I haven't done it yet, but you need to get that top lifted a bit first to adjust the cables. If you have the type of lift systems that individual cables then is should be easier, but if you have one of those with a single cable, that can be a (B***ch). Good luck. If it were me, I'd do it myslef, $1200 is alot of money that can be spent on other things that you will probably need to replace on that camper after you get the top working, etc,... torn canvas, appliance repair, etc....

07 Chevy Trailblazer
    07 Fleetwood Niagra
    (2) Hobie Adventure Kayaks
    (1) Hobie Outback
    (1) Pungo 120
    (1) Pungo 100

3. ricstone

ricstone New Member

here is a link on how to do it,http://www.goshenstamping.com/content/lift_system.htm
    its not hard,just messy. good luck
    ric

03 Ford Windstar
    04 Chalet Arrowhead

4. DWSUzuki

DWSUzuki New Member

Thanks a bunch for all of your advice!! I've enlisted the help of a few of my friends (one of which has done this several years ago) so hopefully we will get this sucker back on the road in no time!

Thanks again!

5. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

Good luck zuki, let us know how it turned out and pics if possible!

07 Chevy Trailblazer
    07 Fleetwood Niagra
    (2) Hobie Adventure Kayaks
    (1) Hobie Outback
    (1) Pungo 120
    (1) Pungo 100

6. MoDutchmen

MoDutchmen New Member

DW my cable broke a couple weeks ago with a big crash. LOL this is not exactly the easiest thing to replace. I been working on mine for about a week, off and on. Ive pretty much got it all back togetherI froze out last night and didnt get it quite completed. Its been a learning experience thats for sure. If you need any help just ask. I might be able to help you out. Hey what does everyone use to lube this lift system?
    Thanks

7. MoDutchmen

MoDutchmen New Member

Oh another thing DW. Check your pullies really good. I had one seized. Thats why my cable broke. And another note. All it cast me was about 15 bux to do mine. I already had the cable, which I upgraded to the next larger size. So all I bought was a pulley, which I had to have made, and the cable clamps.

8. Beerlifter

Beerlifter Oklahoma, It's not just for Indians anymore!

I use a spray silicone for the pulleys and bed slides and a grease gun with standard grease to lube the lifting cables. I'm sure you know of the grease zert underneath.

Steve
    Laura
    DD Tara
    DD Autumn
    '02 Chevy Silverado
    '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    '95 Dutchmen 1002

http://community.webshots.com/user/beerlifter
    http://lastchancecampground.com/default.aspx

9. MoDutchmen

MoDutchmen New Member

I'm sure you know of the grease zert underneath

LOL Yeah I do now!!!
    Thanks Beer. Hey I think I know you from explorer.

10. Beerlifter

yea I seem to get around. Hard to find info on Dutchmens for some reason!! There are one or two zerts right in the middle of the trailer underneath that I grease at the beginning of every season. So far I haven't had any problems with my lift system and I hope not to. I did find a web page just a minute ago with the schematics to a dutchmen cable system. If I can find it again I will come back and post it

Steve
    Laura
    DD Tara
    DD Autumn
    '02 Chevy Silverado
    '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    '95 Dutchmen 1002

11. Beerlifter

http://www.rvworkshop.com/pop_up_camper_parts.html

give this a look and see if it helps you any.

Steve
    Laura
    DD Tara
    DD Autumn
    '02 Chevy Silverado
    '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    '95 Dutchmen 1002

12. FlyingDutchmen

FlyingDutchmen New Member

kinda like that hydraulic lift system... any thoughts?

Chris('65) and Arleshia('68)
    Samantha('88),Allyssa('90),Mishelle('91)
    Rocky the silky terrier('02)
    Cosmo the yorkie terrier (02)
    96 Chevy Tahoe
    01 Dutchmen 1207
    Louisiana
    http://community.webshots.com/user/buda0269

13. izzy

izzy New Member

Hi,

We just bought a used 1994 Ductchmen tent trailer...I guess they are also called popups? This is the first one we have purchased. We got a really good deal on it I think $900. It has an 8 ft. box. Well we shall see if it was such a great deal:)

Because we bought with a broken crank cable...that lifts the roof. Now my hubby is a mechanic by trade (forklift, 30 years) and has always been able to fix most things mechanical or around the house. But he has never worked on one of these trailers before. So he asked me to search out helpful info...and here I am. From what I have read so far this site has more info. than I have been able to find anywhere else.

The dutchmen tent trailers...don't seem to have much info on line about them. Okay, any manuals that we can find on the cable system? Any advise or warnings? He figures he has to lift the roof and then support it with wood framing so he can get in there and fix the cable.

Since he is at work...I will have him visit here this evening. About 8 pacific time. Any help would be great. I can't wait to see it up and really see what it looks like:)

Looking forward to the camping this summer with our 3 little ones.

Izzy

14. MoDutchmen

MoDutchmen New Member

The lift system Izzy is called a Goshen lift system. Do a search on that. Ricstone has a link above to the system. Manuels are really hard to come by for these units, and your right there is virtually no info on the internet about these years. Mine is a 95.Im fairly handy aswell, and had never done anything like this before. I just dove in and learned as I went. It wasnt too hard to figure out. If he has any questions, ask them here. Someone will surely be able to help him. Good luck Izzy.

15. izzy

izzy New Member

Thanks Dutchmen,

I did find Goshen and called them. They were VERY helpful. Nice people. This is what I found out. The 94 Dutchmen tent trailer M 802 has the cabling system on backwards unless it was refitted. Apparently, Dutchmen...installed them backyards to what the recommendation was for that cabling system.

Goshen has the schematics picture on their website. We need to just flip it backwards for our Dutchmen. Also we thought we would have to find a way to lift it up and get inside to fix it...but Goshen says no...the top needs to be down and the cables are replaced from underneath the trailer.

The replacement cables are going to cost about 35.00 with shipping. The folks at Goshen even told us to call after we get our cables...and have a chat with them about the details of installing it. They were VERY NICE, AND HELPFUL.

Dutchmen website has a general manual pdf for the tent trailers on their website. It is one manual for all of the tent trailers...that they no longer make.

Dutchmen referred me to Goshen also. Hope this helps others.

Izzy

16. izzy

izzy New Member

Forgot to say Thanks again Dutchmen. Will post again when Hubby is done. Let you know how it went.:)

Izzy

17. izzy

izzy New Member

It took about six hours to figure out what need to be done, buy the parts at the hardware store, and replace the cables...on our 94 Dutchmen. Didn't wait for Goshen cables. But will keep them when they arrive in the tent trailer. In case we need them again.

Keep in mind...my hubby is a 30 year professional mechanic. So it may take non professionals longer. Just wanted to give future Dutchmen searchers something to go by.

Izzy

18. DWSUzuki

DWSUzuki New Member

Thank you all so much for the info. The repair has been a slow process, but not because of lack of info! My company has put me on a special project that requires me to travel a great deal and that is cutting into my work time.

So far, I took the camper to my grandfather's shop and used his car lift to raise the roof (this was sooo easy compared to getting it up manually...lol). I'm about half way done with the repair and am going to go ahead and replace the pulleys (I figured I might as well since I am working on it). I've been taking pictures and will post them up when I finish.

Thanks again!