e- book readers

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by slowfatknitter, Feb 2, 2013.

1. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

I've had a basic Nook for several years...I had been toying with the idea of a small computer or an I Pad. My problem was that I already had a laptop and a e-reader...I just couldn't justify another $500-600 for a new toy, but really wanted to "up grade"...my solution was the pawn shop. I bought a Nook color for $50...my mother fell in love with it..so I gave it to her. Went back to the pawn shop to look for another...they didn't have another but I did leave my name/number and 2 days later, they called. He didn't have a color but did have a Nook tablet for $75 with a cover....it has solved all my problems.....I can read, shop, surf the internet, play games, work all for my $75 bucks. My B&N account transferred seamlessly...and I am "Happy Happy Happy"

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We have a small notebook and never use it. We have kindles and I rather have a book. I seems my apple desktop and iphone is all I need, just an old fuddy-duddy ........ My DW doesn't even use her big dollar point and shoot I gave her, just her phone and it prints wirelessly to the desk top printer.

3. zjrog

zjrog Member

My DD and DW have Nook Tablets. They love them. DD also has her laptop. But DW gave me her laptop and uses the Nook far more than I ever expected her to. I use my laptop most of the time, but also have an iPad 2 that my sister gave me after my back and neck injuries 18 months ago. It was much more convenient when I was wearing a neck brace. And my laptop was nearly impossible to use at the time. I like the thing a great deal, and share books with my family and friends with the Nook app. I like the size of the Nook tablet more than the iPad, then again, movies look really nice on the iPad, I play the audio in my vehicles through a FM transmitter. Then I sort of have surround sound!!! Much more entertaining...

I keep a bunch of repair manuals on both my laptop and iPad. And I use both in the garage. I work in the desert and the iPad is a great companion when waiting on other people.

4. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

There are cool skins and sleeves for them in the Pup gift shop [8D]

5. PNW Family

PNW Family New Member

I have a rare form of dyslexia that's brought on by the curvature of a book page. If you hand me an actual physical book, I have a very difficult (and frustrating) time reading it. The perfectly flat screen of my Kindle solved all of the issues, and I'm back to reading. The fact that I can access my whole Kindle library on basically any device is just gravy.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I have really enjoyed my Kindle, gave DH the wi-fi only one and I have 3G. It is great to have so many books to take on trips or for waiting places (will be spending hours at the hospital this week as a friend has major surgery). We haul lots of hiking and field guides on trips, so being able to take a good collection on the Kindle is very nice, since I get a lot of reading done on some trips. The Kindle is easier for my somewhat arthritic hands to hold on to at times.
    I do have some things on the iPad, but use that mostly for other things. One of my friends has Kindles, and an iPad too. She has found it is easier to see on the iPad than her laptop, for we surfing, due to astigmatism, etc. There are categories of books I much prefer I hard copy, so each type of media has uses.

7. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Love my kindle. Always had the problem of going somewhere and having to decide what book to take. Then getting somewhere and finding out that the book wasn't any good but stuck with it.

I love being able to load up the kindle and have a variety of books available but takes up no room. I even bought the accessory light and have read by the campfire from time to time while the DW is getting the kids to bed.

8. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

My DW specifically got me a Nook Color two Xmas' ago specifically for camping. Our kids love to read and the younger ones like to have stories read to them at bed time.

I use it for much more than camping. And we've found the kids are usually plum tuckered out at the end of a day of camping that they fall right to sleep.

But my DD used gift cards from xmas and bought herself a Nook tablet.

9. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I read most books on my iPad now, using the Kindle app for it. I love spending much less for content, and not having boxes of old books to give away or recycle.

Moonbeams resisted an e-reader for years. "I want to hold a book in my hands," shed'd alway say. I gave her a Kindle Fire Christmas before last. My guess is she does 85% of her reading on it now. It goes on every trip with us for reading in the camper after dinner.

10. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

One of my cousins loaned me her Kindle 3 ant I decided I liked it so much I wanted my own. So I went on ebay and after bidding on several I got a Kindle2 for $30.00. It's an older version but it does whatever I need it to do.

11. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I am a grad student in literature. I walk around with daunting volumes of classic books while reading my ''guilty pleasures'' on a Nook. Lol

No electrons were harmed in the production of this post via Tapatalk

12. Dust Devil

Dust Devil Member

I love my Kindle. It's the basic one with ads and all, but still does what I need it to. Biggest disadvantages are having to turn it off during takeoff and landing on planes, just when you want something to read, and having to know what you are looking for and how to find it when browsing libraries to read. Discovered the charger for my cell phone also works with the Kindle, so I no longer have to plug it into my computer to recharge it. That should make it easier to charge in the van when on road trips.

13. tjwagers

tjwagers Member

Chalk me up as another for the Nook Tablet. Its great for games and PDFs and web surfing...love the Netflix app to keep the kids entertained. I carry mine with me all the time...its much easier to pull up a manual on it that to pull out the laptop. My wife is the big reader though and there are plenty of books on it for her as well. Prolly doesn't hurt that she works for B&N or we'd go broke on her book habit [;)]

14. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I have a nook but I find I regularly use my phone instead as my E-book reader. I have a Kindle App, Nook App and Overdrive App for downloading books from the library. I have a Droid X so it has a big screen and reading a book on it is just fine... kind of like reading a newspaper column. It saves me carrying another electronic devise around.

15. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

I loved my old fashioned nook, but have taken to reading on my iPad now because it's so easy to download free ebooks from our public library with the overdrive app. I am 100% for using public resources funded by my tax dollars. Overdrive has an app for nook also!

16. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Ds2 got a Kindle Fire for his 6th birthday. He mainly plays games on it DW reads on it. I have the kindle app on my phone, at first I was thinking it would be a pita to read on "such a small screen" but it isnt its actually a pleasure. I love having my library at my disposal at any time.

Think Outside ! ...No Box Required

17. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

Love love love my Kindle Fire,,,,,,,

my only "issue" with it is that it's a bit heavy,,,,,I probably should have gotten the paper white, but not having the color book covers would drive me insane (I know, makes no sense, but what can I say???),,,,,,,

18. FiveInAFlagstaff

FiveInAFlagstaff Member

DH and I love our iPads. I use mine for everything from watching TV and movies to reading books, playing games, school, planning, storing important info.
    I love books, but have nowhere to store them, so the iPad is perfect. Plus I can download books from various sources using Nook, Kindle, Google and other apps. We stream our favorite radio stations with wifi or phone hotspots.
    The kids have several games on our iPads, as well. We are thinking of getting the kids iPad minis so that we don't have to share so much!
    We have a couple of Nook colors that the kids are using right now.

Priscilla

2013 Flagstaff 228D and DH's 2004 Nissan Titan

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I bought a Nook to bring camping so I wouldn't have to lug big, heavy books around. I'm hooked! I love it. I read everything I had on it and then had to borrow one of the books DW brought. Egad! It was so heavy and bulky and ungainly compared to the Nook. I doubt I'll ever pick up a physical book again unless it's one I can't get on the Nook.

20. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] I agree. Apparently you couldn't get her interested in one though, huh?