e- book readers

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by slowfatknitter, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

No, she never even touched it. I have to load a book she wants to read on it and then come up with a way to get her to try it. She'll never accept it without the experience of using it and maybe not even then. She says she likes the feel and weight of a real book.

2. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I used to think that too, about the feel of a real book, but I've been totally converted to the ease and convenience of the e-readers. Maybe she'll come around yet! :)

3. Jean

Jean New Member

A year and a half ago, I thought a Kindle Fire would be a good idea for me for Christmas. (My mom HAS to have something about that much money to get for Dh and I each. It gets hard sometimes to find something in just the right price range that that we would like.) So, I asked for it. Then Dh asked for it. I thought OK, fine but he won't really use it much.

What happened? We both used it, until I needed an app for school that we couldn't get on the Fire. I upgraded to a Galaxy Note Tablet. I love it. Dh continues to use his. Dd got one too and she continues to use hers exclusively. Dh would like to get a tablet like mine but he can't come up with a good excuse for it (other than that he wants it).

We use them so much in fact, that most of the time when we go camping we all have to go to Starbucks (only I drink coffee) so that they can get their Wifi. Going to Silver Falls soon and not sure what they'll do for three days without Wifi.

Dd seems to play games and internet on hers more than read. Something about them having unlimited battery life. Dh does a combo and I've actually put mine up for the summer. I prefer reading on my tablet, but I got a better deal on a set of books off ebay than I got off Amazon, so I'm back to paper books for the time being.

Jean

4. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Active Member

Another option for purchasing is the local gamers' stores, like GameStop....my boys buy their stuff at drastically reduced prices.

5. Grandpa Hiker

Grandpa Hiker Member

I got a Kindle Paper White about a month ago. I got the Paper White model so I could read outside, etc. The screen is great even in bright sunlight. I loaded my bible on it several other books and have borrowed e-books from our local library.

I take it with me almost everywhere. Now rather than impatiently waiting for DW to finish shopping I just open my Kindle & read.

BTW, I found a carry case that automatically starts up the Kindle when I open the case. [RTM]

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The Paper White seems very nice, it would be great for reading in the bunk end of our pup - the clip on lights I have do not work very well. One of my friends got the PW this summer, after a robbery at her house; the Kindle was one thing that was stolen, along with her iPad and laptop.
    Before she had a chance to call Amazon and have that Kindle deactivated, the person who got it (robber or ??) not only bought a new book, but read one of the ones she'd been reading on it (she had it synced with her iPhone and older, original Kindle, which they did not find). Made the aftermath of the robbery a bit more creepy.

Yes, buying some things at Game Stop has worked for me, though I have not bought a Kindle or other reader there. I bought both my iPad and iPhone (I use the flat rate net10 for service) from the Game Stop our honorary niece (daughter of above friend) manages.

I have not borrowed Kindle books from our library since they changed e-book services and "improved" the listings. I supposed I should try again, but once they "upgraded" there was no good way to browse e-books, so if I want to borrow one, I need to know just what I'm looking for beforehand. I suppose I should try it again, in case I was not the only one who gave it a definite thumbs-down on review and fixed things.

I prefer the Kindle for most reading, but like having it on my iPad and iPhone too. I put a few books on the iPad that have maps or other graphics that are better in color. I keep a book or two on my iPhone now, so I don't need to remember to carry my Kindle to doctor's appointments and the like, or in case I unexpectedly have to wait somewhere.

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I have a notebook, love it. would never go back to a laptop. The wife has had the B/W kindle for 4-5 years and loves it. She got a new kindle fire HD and does not like it as much as the BW kindle for reading. She even talking about selling it because she does not use it.

8. froggie

froggie New Member

Bought my DDs each a Nook HD + for Christmas. They're under the tree. Can't wait till they can open them and I can play, too. Perfect for camping. Especially at campgrounds where there is no service. Barnes and Noble is having a great deal right now. Works out perfectly for last minute shoppers like me.

9. tenttrailer

4-5 years ago I got the dw a kindle 3G (black and white). she reads 50 to 75 books a year. She loves the black and white reader, a few months ago I got her the kindle HD fire. She can not stand it for reading books.

10. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

After 4 years. my original Kindle keyboard died...Screen just blanked out. I almost cried...

Later that day, I bought the Kindle Paperwhite. Wow...just wow.. Wasn't sure I would like it, but it is unbelievable in all light conditions!

11. tenttrailer

i think the paper white is the one I should have gotten for the dw. maybe for her birthday. she still using the 3g.

12. kitphantom

My Kindle keyboard is being funky, so I figured it is not long for this world. The thought of being on one of our longer trips,even a short solo without a batch of reading material is not happy.
    I ordered the Paperwhite today, 3G w/o special offers. I'm half convinced some of the issues are due to having been frugal and getting a Kindle with special offers, since the space with them is where I often have blank areas.
    I keep a few books on the iPhone, and some that benefit from color on the iPad. However, we usually dry camp, and even with solar panels and a storage battery having the longer battery life on the Kindle is good for camping.

13. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

kitphantom, I'd really like to know how the pw compares to your keyboard as far as battery life. I had the keyboard, gave it to DS. Then I got the fire, gave that to DS. Now I have the Fire HD. It's okay for reading but not in sunlight. Plus the fire and fire hd batteries drain quickly - so I was thinking of getting a pw.

14. kitphantom

Yes, the battery life will be interesting to track. My friend got a pw last year after her other Kindle was among the items stolen from her house. She doesn't accept change well, so was surprised that she liked the pw a lot better than her keyboard Kindle - she thinks I'll change completely to the pw Kindle before the other one bites the dust. She keeps the wireless on, because she doesn't want to remember to sync books she also has on her iPhone and iPad. She says she has to recharge it every couple of weeks. I don't mind turning on the wireless to sync with my iPhone and iPad, I seldom have more than one or two I'm reading on more than one device. DH's Kindle is on the same account, but we are not usually reading the same books at the same time, so syncing is not usually an issue.

15. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

Anybody try Bookbub.com, They send free are discounted book to your email every day after you tell them what you are interested in. I have been using them for a couple of months and have received some good books.

16. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy New Member

Love my kindle fire. Have the kindle app on my cell also. 600+ books on demand. Something for every mood.
    Also music... hours of music on my kindle. Plug speakers in while dh and I play yahtzee. Listen to books or music. Dh has dyslexia. He doesn't often read because of the difficulty. I got him a kindle fire for his birthday and he now listens to books daily.

17. nomorecoop

nomorecoop Member

Battery life on the paperwhite is nowhere near what the keyboard had. Was charging the keyboard about once a month & I read a lot.

With the paperwhite, I have to charge it once a week, or week and a half. The viewing screen is unbelievable though! Can read in broad daylight or pitch black with the adjustable screen!

18. kitphantom

I'm still tracking the battery life on the PW. I have it with me at camp. I turned it on airplane mode to help save power while camping. Last campground had iffy cell coverage, this one is really good, but figure saving power for lighting is good.
    It has been great in the pup. I can finally read in the bunk end without playing games with various lights. It is also nicer reading in the main section of the pup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I still have the original kindle (the very first one they made). I love it and bring it everywhere. I have a special book like cover that has a built in light to help me read in the dark. Last Xmas I got the nexus tablet that I use quite a bit in the mornings when I'm trying to wake up but can't quite make it out of bed. Having both is great but if i stay at campgrounds that have WiFi I bring my tablet only as I normally also have electricity. Kindle is perfect for dry camping as battery life is way better.

20. davej

davej New Member

There are four campers in our group. Myself, DW, DS1, & DS2. I use a LePan S tablet, DW has the Nextbook 8 HD, DS1 has the Sero Pro, and DS2 gets the first gen Kindle Fire. Myself & DW read late in the evenings. Sometimes I watch video w/ headphones. DS1 does whatever teenage boys do with tablets, and the little one has games and videos on his for quiet time or bad weather. The only real problem we have is keeping track of 4 different chargers, and making sure there are enough outlets for them all!

Sent from my Le Pan S using Tapatalk