Eagle Cliff near Lanesboro

TheDuke

Aug 31, 2015
Southern MN
Went to Eagle Cliff Campground for the first time this past weekend. It is located on the Root River in between Lanesboro and Whalen, but on the opposite side of the river from the Root River Bike trail. The sites are grassy (immaculate, pristine lawns!) and make for nice barefoot experience around the campsite. Clean facilities and a nice spot to go if you are riding the Root River trail or tubing the river.

One thing to note is it is a 6 mile ride to Lanesboro because you have to backtrack into Whalen to cross the river and then ride back to Lanesboro.

http://www.eagle-cliff.com/

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
We just biked that section of the Root River Trail last weekend (camped at Forestville SP). I kind of wondered how you could connect up with the trail or if you had to backtrack into town...

Looked like a decent place from across the river anyway.

Edit to add:
I just checked out their website... seems a little pricey compared to the state park, but I guess they don't have the benefit of being subsidized. Lots of odd policies too... no plastic/tarps under tents? Huh? How is having a ground tarp under a tent any different than having a tent with a plastic bottom? Never seen anything so picky.

TheDuke

Aug 31, 2015
Southern MN
There is grass is soooo immaculate, you wouldn't want to put a tarp down. They are protective of their grass and once you set up your pup, it's a joy on the feet.

Yes, to get to the trail you backtrack to Whalen and pick it up there.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
TheDuke said:
There is grass is soooo immaculate, you wouldn't want to put a tarp down. They are protective of their grass and once you set up your pup, it's a joy on the feet.

But under a tent? The bottom of my tent is basically a tarp. What's the harm in putting a real tarp under that to keep it from getting muddy?

hayyward

Sep 16, 2006
Packerland
They make you move your tent every few days to avoid killing the grass. Also, outdoor mats are to be lifted every night or in the morning you will find a "note" reminding you of the rules. We've camped there a few times, it is immaculately kept. We call it a "love your neighbor" campground because even though the sites are spacious, there are no barriers between you and the next guy, it's all lawn with mature trees, like a park. More seasonal campers than not and on the weekend, the place buzzes with lawn mowers.

Mongo Matic

Jun 1, 2016
I rate this campground 6 out of 5. Well kept, clean and quiet. The grass is indeed amazing! I've been camping here since the early 90's (it was much smaller then). I will always go back! [PU]

Aneemal33

Aug 25, 2016
Minnesota
We camped at Eagle Cliff for the first time in a large tent in June of 2016 and even though there were thunderstorms and it was HOTTT, we liked it so much we are going back over Memorial Day weekend in 2017 with our new-to-us PUP. Nice place.

bflentje

Aug 24, 2009
Going for a second time myself this year. It's an OK place, except for the pay-to-poo bathrooms.

cam_1100

May 10, 2018
Rochester, MN
OMG you have to pay? That is wrong in so many ways. LOL...
Updating the "pay-to-poo" comment. You don't have to pay for the toilets, but you have to pay for the showers. 25-cents/4-minutes...and I think the timer is on the generous side. It's not that terrible really, except that there isn't a change machine near the showers so you have to go to the camp store to get change if you don't have any.