Easiest and/or cheapest way to fix this..

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by SirThiago, Apr 30, 2016.

1. SirThiago

SirThiago New Member

So, the only issue that i have that's canvas related is this one. You you guys recommend any kind of quick fix for this? I thought of using regular repair adhesive but it's kind of a tricky spot to make it work. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Can you pull the trim off and reattach the canvas below the trim line?

3. SirThiago

SirThiago New Member

Unfortunately, no...

4. shelley besco

shelley besco New Member

I couldn't tell from the picture but is there enough of the canvas in the track to reattach it to if you were to sew it in place? You could use a sewing awl to sew the tear. look it up on youtube for a demonstration of how to use one. There is a gentleman who made a video of how to use an awl when sewing a pair of mukluks and its a great tutorial. I recently used an awl (or Speedy Stitcher although not speedy at all) to reattach my canvas that had torn away from the rubber track along the ceiling and it is holding quite well so far and looks nice and neat. Hope this helps. Good luck.

5. Milktrk

Milktrk New Member

You could try to sew it with an awl or try awning repair tape there are a couple of different brands and they stick pretty well to the vinyl.
    I had my awning bag tear in a storm and I took it to a boat place that repaired seat cushions and they were able to repair it for under $75- the storm ripped it right off the rail they used the UV protected thread so it should last a while longer.

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Looks like the same thing that happened to me on a front corner, the bead pulled out of the track. I worked it back in using a plastic putty blade and put a short screw in the corner to keep it from happening again. Don't know if it was the right fix because it's only been a few weeks.

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

It looks to me that it's ripped away from the bead at the bottom of the fabric.

Yeah, that's a dilly of a pickle to fix. I suppose you could sew a patch on the inside and join the pieces together but I ain't seen no kinda tape that'll hold those pieces together under tension.

8. The Hillbilly Hilton

The Hillbilly Hilton New Member

First you have to stop it from tearing further. Perhaps a heavy stitch where it still comes together.

I had a not so similar problem where either my slide out sunk a little, or the slide out canvas shrunk, but I always had a gap around the slide out. Unlike yours, mine was only attached by velcro so it was not ripped from the bead. So I bought a roll of four inch velcro from Lowes. Stuck two long sections back to back and then used that to fill in the gap. It basicaly extended the canvas by two inches ( accounting for the two inches that attached to the existing velcro on the canvas) Perhaps you could do something similar but glue the velcro to the body of the PUP and just stitch in a small section of the velcro on your canvas to cover the hole.