east coast trip

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by tdiller, Feb 18, 2017.

1. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Planning a trip from Chicago area out east. A couple days in DC and then heading north. We've been south from there before. She who must be obeyed wants to stop in Philly and New York City. Personally I've been there done that so don't have any preferences. Also plan on maybe Niagra Falls before heading back home. We know about using the public transportation in the DC area. Just wondering if there are campground recommendations for Philly and NYC area and maybe other things to see and do. We don't need fancy facilities just electric and maybe water. We tend to seek out Corps of Engineering campgrounds because of the reduced costs and my disability pass.
    Planning the week before Memorial Day.

Thanks

2. coney

coney New Member

Turkey Swamp Park in NJ.It's about half way between Philly and NYC (maybe a bit closer to NYC). Water and electric at all sites, clean bathrooms and showers all for 30 something dollars a night.

3. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

When. You planning on traveling?

4. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Will be leaving the Chicago area 20May and being in DC for a few days then head north for a day or so in Philly and some time in NYC then heading back maybe via Niagra falls to arrive back in Chicago on memorial day.

5. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Don't know of any CGs in the Falls area, but if swinging through the Rochester area, Webster Park has a nice CG and is a really nice park. Darien Lake State Park also has a CG is about mid-way between the Falls and Rochester.

6. gonyr

gonyr Member

Four Mile Creek State Park is about 20 minutes from Niagara Falls. There are reviews of it on the New York campgrounds board. In my opinion, it's pretty nice there. I wouldn't call it a destination to go out of the way for, but if you're going to the falls anyway, it's a good choice.

7. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

8. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I do not know the name of it but check New Jersey- a friend of mine stayed somewhere that was an easy ferry ride to NYC.