Easy and peasy as pie!

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Arlyn Aronson, May 17, 2019.

1. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I'd like to tell anyone whose even considering camping "off grid" that its quite easy to do. This is how we camp, nearly all of the time. Yes, anyone do it with very limited special gear. We have a Hondu generator and never bring it along. If you have any questions, just ask them!

P1050233.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Kampus and nineoaks2004 like this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Easy as pie for someone who knows how to conserve.;). My mom would be using up all my water on day one. She would be freaking out if she couldn't have internet access for even a day. No watching YouTube or tv she would be completely lost.

For myself and my dogs I can do it in a heartbeat if I had a friend to go with. I do dry camp at a state park instead. May not get the piece and quiet you have but at least I have someone who can help if I needed. Cooking over a fire, no problem. The longest stint for me was a week and a half of dry camping in a tent.
    My phone and camera were charged in the car while I traveled to hiking paths or to town etc. Sponge bath worked sufficiently enough. Loved every minute of that trip.

3. Arlyn Aronson

Yes, bring your water and use it sparingly. We have a filter along and here, water is found everywhere but we've rarely used the filter. We shower with creek water (not filtered) but most of our trips are short and just wash up with warm water and wash cloths. Is that a sponge bath? [:D]

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I used to boondock on a regular basis and really enjoyed it, but living in Fl and getting much older I decided to stay in the Fl State parks, I need the A/C as it gets so hot and the bugs are so bad at times.
    I still solo canoe camp in the fall and winter tho. and love the peace and quiet.

Orchid likes this.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I'm looking at doing boondocking in the future. For me, I most always dry camp and can go 10 days with the clipper before running out of water. 40 gallon fresh and 20 gallong grey and black tanks work perfect for that. Boondocking would be simple for me - the only difficult part for me is finding places to boondock... well that and worrying about an engine/chassis breakdown in the middle of nowhere.

With the FnR, the biggest issue would be the cassette tloiet and 20 gallon grey water tank. I need somewhere to dump them after 3-4 days.

Everything else is no different than how I camp now.

6. Arlyn Aronson

Our 1st PUP had a water fresh tank in it but after 4 or so years of use, we still hadn't used it. That's why all the campers we've got since, we've went without all those accessories. Less to break down and in need of repairs.

Maybe this thread should be in the general area, in hopes that people can see than camping off the grid, is very doable.

Toedtoes likes this.
  7. Toedtoes

I like having the water tanks. For the FnR, I am adding a collection of 2.5 gallon water containers so I can extend that use. But I am through with the days of squatting over a hole, especially at night, so a toilet is my must have. In a campground, it's easy enough to dump the cassette as necessary, but boondocking requires a bit more effort.

Fortunately, with both the clipper and the FnR, I have options. I can take the FnR and Durango out for trips to explore an area. Park the camper at a campground, then use the Durango to find boondocking spots. Then I can go back with the clipper and boondock for up to 10 days at a spot.

I hope to do just that this fall. I'll be taking the FnR to a small campground on the coast, then exploring the BLM land for boondocking spots.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

When our kids were growing up, and as a child myself, that is the only kind of camping we ever did. Now, we live in Florida, and need a/c most of the time. I'm more of a glamper now, I suppose. I still wouldn't camp anywhere that didn't have wooded, private sites, but I need access to power and water. Unlimited. I couldn't care less about wifi or electronics, but need that a/c running at night.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    HappyTraveler and kcsa75 like this.
  9. Arlyn Aronson

Here are some boondocking photos I could not post before. Sometimes computers just P1060728.jpg won't do what they normally do.....

BackyardCalifornia, hq308 and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Haven't tryed it yet. Sort of don't want to. I had a bad backpack experience when i was like 20. I used to do a bit of backpacking, 3 to 4 day trips tops . Me and my freinds got caught in a snow storm ( dumb kids never bothered to check the weather) , and got a bit lost , ended up loosing the trail and going the hard way down bear mountain. We finally hit a road and flagging down a cop. Needless to say embarrassing, but also scarry as we hiked a day and most of a night to reach the road. So, ill keep my amenities for now , and look at your pictures, and read your stories, good enough for me!

HappyTraveler and Orchid like this.
  11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

After extensive searching I have found no Boondocking areas for the PUP near me. There are a couple places that you can pack in and primitive tent camp. There are a couple places that you can dry camp. One of them has picnic shelters at some sites and a couple vault toilets. There is barely enough cell service to make a call "if" you are in the right spot. Phone would ring in the PUP, but you have to take the phone outside to a clear area and call them back. Forget videos or web pages. The boys and I loved it last fall. The DQT will be in collage this fall so I might get the DW to go with us. If not it can be boys weekend again. There is a lake for fishing and non-motorized boating, hiking trails, and scenic views. There is no electricity and no running water. When it's dark, it's dark unless you have light. There were two other sites in use within sight, but they were awesome campers that respected others and didn't trash the grounds. While hiking we discovered a scout troop camping on the other side of the grounds.

I found a couple others that the sites are dry, but have bathhouses. Somehow I don't think it will be the same.

12. Arlyn Aronson

We camp in the National Forest and in state forests, both of which have millions of acres near us. We also have a private forest land holder we might camp on there property this summer. Maybe we've got spoiled living up here?? [}:)] Many of the sites we've used over the years have no cell phone service but pit toilets are a plus, since it keeps us from digging holes. [HH] Billymac, If it was us, I think I'd check out the sites with a bathhouse. They might be nice and under used.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  13. BillyMc

Planning a three day weekend there this Fall when it cools off or next Spring before it gets hot. DW can't take long periods of 90+ temperature.

14. Toedtoes

I dry camp almost exclusively. The campgrounds I prefer are rustic - pit or vault toilets, potable water spigots (not to be used to fill your fresh water tanks). Firepits and picnic tables at each site and bear boxes (if in bear territory). Summer is usually up in the Sierras with no cell service. Off season is usually in the foothills with at least spotty service.

While there are others in the campground, I usually am able to spend most my time in solitude - I usually do my hiking/exploring on the weekdays and then relax in my campsite on the weekends. Most campers are there for the weekends only and spend most of their days out hiking/exploring, so I miss the crowds both on the trails and in camp.

A couple of my off season favorites have electrical, so I enjoy those for bad weather camping in winter. I don't camp in heat regardless of hookups. Off season, I may be only one of two or three sites occupied, so I get the solitude of boondocking while still having access to toilets.

15. BillyMc

There is now a notice on the webpage the bathhouse is closed indefinitely due to sustainable recreation efforts. Eventually they will be replaced with a vault type toilet system. There is still water available in the day use area.

16. Arlyn Aronson

Thanks to all who've posted. My goal is to show people that camping off the grid with no services, isn't hard to do.

BillyMc likes this.
  17. Toedtoes

Definitely not difficult. And honestly, I like the simplicity of not dealing with a bunch of stuff - no worries about bad pedestals, water pressure changes, etc.

My evenings are usually spent reading. With my kindle paperwhite, I don't need any other lighting. It's nice relaxing in the dark and quiet reading a good book.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  18. Arlyn Aronson

Just the fall is when light is becomes more of an issue for us. We put up one LED light near the campers door and wear headlamps but only turn them on when needed. No whole camp site illumination for us. Funny that everywhere we camp, is bear county.

19. rocksncactus

rocksncactus Member

Orchid, from what I've read you can use a generator for your A/C if you add a hard-start capacitor to it. We have a Yamaha generator/inverter, but we haven't gotten the capacitor. We're about to be camping in Arkansas with some nights with no electricity. Fans and open windows are the way we're going. After decades of tent camping we ought to be able to handle it!

20. Arlyn Aronson

If anyone would like to try camping away from camperland and with no services, do ask any questions you have. Camping that way is so, so easy to do!

BillyMc likes this.