Easy and peasy as pie!

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Arlyn Aronson, May 17, 2019.

1. BackyardCalifornia

BackyardCalifornia Member

Where do you like to go in the Sierras? Up Hwy 4 or 108? I love getting out the central valley heat and heading up to either Bass or Shaver Lake.

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

My favorite is wild plum off 49. Spanish Creek up by Quincy is nice. Running Deer at Little Grass Valley reservoir is nice. French Meadows near Foresthill is nice but the road is a lot of up and down and you can only go about 20mph.

3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Thanks to all who's posted. If anyone would like to try camping off the grid or away from standard campgrounds, this is the place to ask about it. Or is this thread in the wrong location? Maybe it should be among the general threads.

Toedtoes likes this.
  4. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

The Cub Scout camps have water spigot and vault toilet, and it's nice to see all having fun with limited resources :)

This may be the same for other states, but NC has some nice small privately owned campgrounds with bathhouse and peace and quiet. The cost is the same as camping at State parks, for tent and PUPs. There's more amenities like pool, laundry and game area. But it's in a quiet peaceful area, with small number of campsites. I like this camping with kids :)

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  5. Arlyn Aronson

Again, thanks to everyone who's posted. If anyone would like to try camping off the grid or away from standard campgrounds, this is the place to ask about it. Its so easy!

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I've hiked the AT thru the Harriman/Bear Mountain parks twice. I have gone up Bear Mountain and Down it! Not easy either way with a pack on your back. Hiking up the AT (Bear Mt side) after crossing the bridge is an experience! Even crossed the Bear Mountain bridge and visited the Zoo there twice. And that's sticking to the trail! Backpacking is the closet I have come to boondocking. Like someone said above, "I'm done squatting over a hole!", flush toilets are a luxury that I want! Since 2012 I have backpacked about 500 miles. I can say "Been there, done that"! So, I enjoy having full hook ups. I really enjoy having a bed off the ground!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. 8lugnutz

8lugnutz Member

We have spent a few days here and there totally off grid. It’s the favorite of most of the family...except my wife. She's Gotta have her shower house when she goes!

We have a shower tent and all that if we are staying for more than two days, cassette toilet that we dump when we can, where we can, and where we are supposed to.

Power: have a generator. Rarely use it. Have solar. Love it. Use propane to keep the fridge going if we have to, but most of the time it’s off too and stuff is in our Cabela’s cooler.

Per my conversation with the Forest Service in Colorado Springs, pop-ups can utilize the USFS dispersed camping areas because they are not considered an RV/Travel Trailer, that opened up more possibilities than we ever thought imaginable! I got that in writing via email thinking someone might challenge it, but have never needed it. We love being where others aren’t most of the time. The kids favorite spot is anywhere in the National Forest, but especially anywhere near St. Elmo, CO.

HappyTraveler and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  8. Arlyn Aronson

We have a generator but never take it. No solar panel or anything else for power. LED lights have came very for low power consumption in the past 20 years. Bring a big heavily insulated cooler which will last for days and days. Can and do shower if we like. No reason to not be comfortable.

Camping off grid is easy!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  9. Toedtoes

I don't have a generator or solar either. The clipper's battery is big enough to handle what I need it for. I actually run out of water first. I can go 10 days without any real conservation of water (no showers, but I drink the water out of my tank) and my battery is still in the green.

With the FnR, I have a bit less than half the water capacity. So far I have only gone for four days max. But I will be doing a weeklong trip soon and will see how everything works. I have some water containers since there is no water at the campground.

I do have multiple small jump starters. One in the FnR to charge cell phones, etc., one in the Durango for emergency jumpstarting, two in the clipper (one for each purpose), and a couple cheap little ones for additional charging.

I'm not a big power hog when camping and don't camp where I need AC. If I need heat, I use the Mr Heater. So, electrical is the least of my concerns.

10. Arlyn Aronson

If anyone would like to try camping off grind, this is the place to ask any questions. But it is easy and anyone can do it.

11. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

No PU yet, but I can off grid, depending on season, for 5 days without having to get to "civilization" and that is driven by work requirements, and I am tent camping out of a Chevy Malibu lately.

Water supply 4 @ 7 gallon aquatainers.
    Showers average 2 gallons per person, every 2 days, so 8 gallons, and 1 gallon drinking / cooking daily, leaving plenty leftover for cleanup and just extra water.
    Toilet has been 1 bag every 2 days in the luggable loo. Not sure how long the flushing port o potty will last.
    I have a Coleman Extreme 50qt cooler that we pack with ice blocks in Fiji Water bottles. The lid of the cooler is foamed and it will hold ice and keep food cold if kept out of the sun for 5 days, but the end of day 5, I need to renew the ice.
    The HF Tailgator generator gets run once a day to charge up my jump pack to power my CPAP. I go through a gallon of fuel every 3 days or so.
    Coleman fuel for the stove, and lanterns a full tank in the appliances typically lasts 3 days, heaters are another story... My 511A with my use of the thing, the fill lasts all 5 days but drinks about a gallon doing so... Cheaper than a Buddy heater to run for sure, I typically run it from "Getting crisp in the evening," and put it outside the tent and snuff it at bed time. I have used it overnight a few times but ONLY with plenty of air flow for fresh oxygen supply... Even then it still lasted. I have never really tested how long it can go continuous. I have a recently acquired 518B 3K BTU heater that I want to fill and run time test this winter...

12. Toedtoes

For me, the most difficult part is finding a boondock location.

My preferred camping style lends to the following:

Water source within walking distance (lake, creek, etc)
    Photo op scenery within walking distance (waterfall, rapids, overlook, wildlife)
    Lack of neighbors
    Shade

Many of the boondock sites I've checked out lack two or all of these. One I checked out recently was shady and secluded, but there was no water for several miles and no wildlife or scenic view. It'd be fine for a "just get away and stay in camp reading" trip.

Another was a basic parking lot near a lake. No shade, about 15 rigs all parked close together, and nothing scenic. Looked like a popular spot for off-roaders. I can have more solitude in a USFS campground plus photo ops than I could there.

I'm still looking for some nice spots to boondock, but I won't give up on campgrounds that offer all my desires.