Easy Bunk End Shelves

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by sandyaker, Jan 14, 2013.

1. phins_jazy

phins_jazy New Member

I love this! I just picked up 4 of the wire shelves at habitat for humanity for $5 total. Now I know what to do with them. :)

2. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

The bunk end shelves are great. I did the mod last year on mine, but approached the install a little different - photos.

3. SDMark

SDMark New Member

4X, That is a really clean install of the shelves. I am going to try that out!! Nice work!

4. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Thanks SDMark, upload some pix when your done.

5. postnetnc133

postnetnc133 Member

We too have a Coleman destiny royale 1992 and need to replace our door knob, new or used where is a good place to check for one?

6. sandyaker

sandyaker Rock Hill, SC

Hey folks,

Thanks for the compliments on my shelves. I really appreciate it!
    I was able to REALLY test and use my shelves this past holiday weekend and can happily say...They work GREAT! I had all kinds of stuff on mine and even put a loaded backpack on one with no problem. I am REALLY happy with the way these turned out and work.

MikeinCharlotte, give Marty a call at Young RV (704-734-0595) over in Kings Mountain, NC. I've dealt with him SEVERAL times and he always has what I need or a good alternative. He sometimes has some older stock and/or used parts as well. Tell him Scott from Rock Hill sent you.

7. Wayne Burlison

Wayne Burlison New Member

I have a Rockwood that doesn't have holes in the end support poles like it appears some other brands do. Is it "safe" to drill holes in those end poles without weakening them? I would like to do the wire shelf mod, but am kind of afraid to drill into the poles...

Agnes Anne likes this.
  8. sandyaker

sandyaker Rock Hill, SC

Wayne, mine didn't have pre-drilled holes either. I drilled them myself to mount the brackets. I have not noticed anything negative from doing that.
    Scott

9. Wayne Burlison

Wayne Burlison New Member

Thanks, Scott!

10. Wenchinwaiting

Wenchinwaiting New Member

I am getting ready to do that shelf too however I have the two holes already from the original
    Shelf design in place and I know that the plastic pole C channel breaks easily. I am thinking of using the lower hole and then leading a brace from the upper hole. If that makes any sense.lol. looks great.happy camping.

11. RubberSoul

RubberSoul New Member

Really nice.

12. RickM

RickM Member

Brilliance. I have been wanting to do something similar. Great work.

13. Hawks

Hawks Member

Just bought the wire shelf to do this mod in our camper, just trying to figure out where I get the nylon straps to hang them from (love the clip that just snaps it together). I don't want to use chains. Any ideas???

Thanks!!

Agnes Anne likes this.
  14. rwilliek

rwilliek New Member

What about nylon webbing from the fabric store?

15. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Great Idea for the camper bed shelving. It is only me and my dog that goes camping so one of the end bunks will not be used. Making shelving for this end would be perfect. Will keep things neat and tidy. ;-) Thanks for the shelving tips.

16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I've considered this kind of shelf for years. I always end up deciding not to do it. The main reason is because I know, regardless of how many times I tell them not to, my family would put drinks up there. Really don't want soaked mattresses. My husband would be the worst offender, which means I run the risk of waking up to a splash of something on me.

Earthfairies likes this.
  17. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I could see me always smacking my head on it every time I get in and out of bed. Doh!.....

Orchid likes this.
  18. BigTap

BigTap Active Member

I think i need to add this to my list and use it for packing cubes to keep the cloths nice and neat.

Agnes Anne likes this.
  19. Orchid

ooops, double post

20. Orchid

This is a great idea and wish I could make it a reality. I just know I would get zero cooperation and would spend the whole trip tidying up everyone's things. And they would still put drinks on them ...
    It's mostly my husband that I camp with, and occasionally a grown son and some grandchildren. The grandchildren would not be the ones I would worry about.

Something interesting I found out, though. I was looking at some old Coleman brochures, just for fun, and saw some photos of the big, long drawer in our camper with clothing in it. Right now it is very literally a gigantic junk drawer with nothing useful in it. I think I will clean it out and start packing our clothes in it. I just never thought of it before.

Agnes Anne and Earthfairies like this.