Easy Clean-up Pancakes

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by electronflux, Jun 16, 2011.

1. electronflux

electronflux Member

I know that probably everyone has either heard of or used the shake n pour Bisquick pancake bottle, I have.

But after a few trips using them, I got to thinking about how much trash they generate and how to re-use them. Well, you can't just pour the same amount of Bisquick, because you have to add eggs to it.

I found some Betty Crocker Buttermilk, complete pancake mix that you just add 1 cup of water; It costs about the same as the Bisquick ones do, but makes more pancakes. If you add 1 tbs veg oil, you can make waffles.

It comes in a packet so you need a container to mix it. Hmmmm, a large, cleaned out, plastic peanut butter jar fits the bill.

And there you have your own re-usable shake n pour. Just wash out the jar for the next time; less trash in the bin/landfill. [:D] [CK]

2. muffyluvscamping

muffyluvscamping New Member

I use a mix that is also just add water. I premeasure in a ziploc before we leave. Add water and squish to mix. Then pour or snip the corner of the bag.

3. electronflux

electronflux Member

also a good idea, but once you snip the bag you have to toss it. You can re-use the jar.

You're also committed to making pancakes.

4. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

the plastic bottle goes in the recycling...not the landfill. [;)]

5. electronflux

electronflux Member

if there was a recycle bin at the CG, that's where it would go. Unless I'm at a "Pack-in/Pack-out" CG, I don't take my trash home with me.

6. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

But you'll take that peanut butter jar home? I guess I am just spoiled by the trash/recycling at Virginia State Parks.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

7. electronflux

electronflux Member

the peanut butter jar gets used over and over, and not just for pancakes.

8. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Woo- Hoo! It's the pankcake batter shaker Throw-Down! And in this corner....we have Aunt Jemima going full speed after Mr. Bisquick!...

(okay, I'll shut up)

[:D]

9. NYgranny

NYgranny New Member

We just mix the "add water" batter in a bowl. We find it is no harder to wash the bowl than clean out a jar. You're washing plates, silverware and pan anyway.

10. ogeer3

ogeer3 New Member

I have been reusing the Bisquick jars for a couple of years now. I marked the amount of mix and water on the outside.

11. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

Better solution for the lazy camper that I am. Buy the pre-made, frozen ones at W-Mart and re-heat.

:)

Pam

12. electronflux

electronflux Member

I was going to do that, but looking at the ingredients on the shake n pour and then the big box, they're different. The box says you have to add eggs, so I didn't try it.

13. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

Who is to say you have to use Bisquick mix in the shake and pour jar? I have thought about reusing the jar but I never do. I am a bad camper [V]

Ever hear of Batter Blaster?

The Batter Blaster Demo Video

14. electronflux

electronflux Member

I have. DW bought it once to try at home. I didn't care for them all that much

15. lisa73

lisa73 New Member

I seen the Batter Blaster on a thread here last year and I'm just now getting around to buying it. I got it at Walmart in the refrigerated section, I'm going to give them a try on our next camping trip in a couple of weeks. We need a quick breakfast since we have a lot of stuff planned to do. I hope we like them, since our sink is so small and we don't have hot water I hate washing dishes when we camp. [:(]

16. chippers

chippers New Member

You'll like the Batter Blaster. I'd never pay that much, but my SIL bought it for the kids once and they enjoyed "blastin" funny shapes. The pancakes are very tasty.

17. GtStricky

GtStricky Member

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon white sugar
    1 1/4 cups milk
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons butter, melted

Tupperware container with the dry ingredients made at home... add the milk, egg and butter at campground.

18. triachy

triachy This ain't no rodeo, bro dad

19. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

I use the just add water stuff pre measured in a glad ware container that I mix it in as well, I reuse that container over and over.