Easy questions for some....not for me!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by ktsmom, Aug 5, 2015.

1. ktsmom

ktsmom One Happy Camper!

I last camped back in Dec 2014. Two days ago, I open up ole Marmaduke to add some items. The lift went OK but the battery died just as it got fully expanded. Now I can't lower it (which is OK for now). The battery is only 1 yr old so it should be good - my guess is it was sitting so long, it died. I had a 30amp electrical socket put in my garage to use when I work on the camper. My questions are: If I plug the camper in, will this allow the top to lower? Will this charge the battery? I'm guessing I need a "kill switch, but I have no idea how to install one.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

If the battery ran down and froze during the winter it might be dead and have to be replaced. You need to put it on a charger and if it will take a charge get a load test done to see if it is still good. There are several type of cutoff switches probably the easiest is the knife switch, it hooks on (usually) the positive post of the battery and the wire going into the trailer on the other end, then just lift the knife and open the circuit. It is best to take the battery out if you are going to store it for awhile and charge it up about once a month. Most PUPs have a couple of alarms that will eventually run the battery down. I do not know if the lift will work on just the converter the only way to find out is to try it,
    also there should be a way to let the top down manually.

3. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Do not attempt to use a power lift on the converter only. No different than a slideout on a TT. Thats almost certain death for a converter.

4. StPeteClipper

StPeteClipper Member

Do what I did and lose the electric lift system. For around a c note I installed a factory manual winch, better than factory new cable, and new rear spring. Now I know wherever I go that it's going to go up, and it's going to come down. That wasn't always the case with the electric system and the last time it failed on me was truly its last time.