Easy quick prepare?

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by lovejoy, Aug 13, 2015.

1. lovejoy

lovejoy New Member

We are headed out in 2 weeks with plans to be gone a month. I am wanting to prepare some foods that I can vacuum seal and freeze and when we get to campsite, just throw in a pot of water. I have spaghetti and chili. Nothing else comes to mind. As I told DH, its my vacation too and I don't want to have to cook every day! Any ideas?

2. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

I've recently asked for help in this area too and was given lots of great advice. The first bit of advice was to do s lot of cooking and prep at home to avoid doing it on the trip. I was also told to use leakproof containers in the cooler so as not to end up with "meat water" from melting ice. As for the dishes to make: sloppy joes heats up quick. I decided to also take a cold tuna pasta salad to have a quick cold meal-especially nice on a hot day!

3. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Unless you're boondocking - far away from any groceries - there will be opportunity to replenish your supplies.
    Canned or homemade spaghetti sauce then quick boil up some noodles [some folks bring par cooked noodles that only need reheating]
    Pie irons are for savory as well as sweet - grilled sandwiches [think pannini], tacos, pizza/.calzones
    Foil packet cooking - protein add vegetables and potatoes and seasoning
    Then the standard hot dog, burger fare.

Buying fresh meats and vegetables locally means less storage needed too .

Hope this helps! Have a great trip!! [:)C]

4. RDWRER

RDWRER Active Member

Oh, and I also have an easy taco soup that I can make from canned goods-just throw in a pot: can chili with beans, can of corn, can diced tomatoes, can tomato sauce, can black beans and taco seasoning to taste. Easy and no fridge required. A crockpot might help too?? I use this often at home when I don't want to spend a lot of time cooking.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We freeze chili, sloppy joes, pre-cooked brats (sometimes with sauerkraut), homemade soups, turkey and dressing (gravy separate).
    For quick meals when we need to restock, we do brats or hot dogs with canned beans, hashed browns, or frozen veggies, hot meat and cheese sandwiches with good bakery bread.

6. lovejoy

lovejoy New Member

Awesome ideas! Thank you all so much. Leak proof plastic containers? Name please and where to purchase?

7. WingShot

WingShot New Member

8. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

We've had excellent results from various casseroles packaged in "seal-a-meal"-type plastic.

A favorite is a hamburger and green bean concoction that also involves onions, mushroom soup and other ingredients as whimsy and what's available allow.

Don't forget to include salads and other veggies in your planning. As we were told by the Mothers of Invention, "Vegetables Keep You Regular".

9. CalKat

CalKat Member

My [2C] ... I've made chicken curry and sealed it in a vacuum bag. Pre-cooked rice in a separate bag. Just drop the two bags in your pot of hot water to heat and save the water for dishes.

10. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

-fixins for fajitas
    - caramelized onions and peppers , bacon for some tasty burger or sausage toppings ( or can use for omelets)