ebrakes (breakaway switch) as a short term anti theft measure

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Anthony Hitchings, Nov 3, 2021.

1. brettstoner

brettstoner Active Member

This is what I do! I use the largest Abus security chain that fits through my spoke and chain it through the axle and to signs, trees, posts, etc. Put the highest security shielded padlock on it. Don't buy anything at Lowes or HD. Masterlock and regular chain are poor security. Or just take a tire off....

2. bigpup1

bigpup1 New Member

Sounds to me like it is time to get outa Dodge. If you find yourself living in such a hostile environment that you loose sleep over life, limb and your property you might reconsider more that what what size chain you are going to purchase.... d

xxxapache likes this.
  3. DanMKE

DanMKE New Member

Bal should make a wheel leveler/lock combo...I'm picturing a heavy duty leveler with an option to lock it to the wheel, so it ends up functioning like the lock they put on cars for unpaid tickets!

4. RichRL

RichRL New Member

I have read several times that leaving the breakaway switch engaged can cause the magnets to heat up and burn out, and disable the brakes.

Papa Glenn likes this.
  5. nitrohorse

nitrohorse Active Member

If you're going to remove a tire, might be a good idea to remove the spare too...

Tarkus likes this.
  6. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

spares are currently in the gated rear yard.

Camper is back in gated front yard while I wait for another pair of wheel spacers to try out, 5mm this time, each side.

nitrohorse likes this.
  7. Anthony Hitchings

yes - which is why I will test them for heating when I find my spare magnet

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Moght be the wire that burns up? They are a really small guage. So, while temporary applied power is ok, constant voltage might heat them to the point of failure.

9. Anthony Hitchings

ots only 3 amps, that really not much. You put 2A thru your iphone cord !!

10. Sjm9911

I think my phone cord is bigger guage, lol. I just know that when i would work on the old lionel stuff, that the smaller 22 guage wires would sometimes fry if you set the transformer too high. ( this was older wire, not newly wired stuff). And while not remembering what guage was on the conection to the brake magnet itself, i do recall that it was tiny.

11. Brian Hovander

Brian Hovander Member

Pulling the breakaway switch would send quite a bit of power to the magnets. I would think this could burn up something due to the large amount of current going there.

I have the beefy tongue lock and use a case-hardened motorcycle chain to have the frame secured with a beefy lock to an Aircraft-type tiedown built into the concrete slab it rests on. Hopefully, other advice will help figure out how to best secure the trailer.

12. Anthony Hitchings

3 amps is not a lot of curent.

13. Sjm9911

Just looked ot up and not going further then this. So dont know if its correct or not. But it makes scense. 3 is average, max is doubble that. And no its not alot but may be enough to cook the wires. Max would be applied as an emergency measure, normal would not, as most dont have the gain maxed out.

14. Sjm9911

15. Sjm9911

Ok and thinking on it more. If i remember corectly, stranded wire can carry less then solid wire, and superflex wire even less. The wire i just conected ( last year?) to the new brakes looked like super flex by feel. And was way smaller then the wires i joined them too. Almost way too small. I ran what e trailor recomended, and after making the conection thought it was overkill for what it was powering. But what do I know.

16. Anthony Hitchings

3 amps is not average - its the full current. Actually - it quickly dropped to 2.56 amps using my spare magnet and a Mighty Max 22 AH test battery. the magnet got very hot - so I stopped the test.

BTW - I detest my Sperry autoranging DVM, because it beeps and shows stupid readings periodically, whereas my manually switched DVM by Spery is just fine. Needless to say, the manual version is discontinued.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. Dave2514g

Dave2514g Member

The brake uses a coil to produce a magnetic field. Any coil will have a duty cycle (an amount of allowable on time vs. off time.) If you leave the brakes on overnight the coils would either burn out completely, or shorten the lifespan drastically. Do not do this. Hopefully you can come up with a better anti theft deterrent. I've never left any locking device or anything on my trailer to ward off thieves. Maybe I'm naive, but never given it any thought.... Everyone leaves their trailers in their laneways here in the warm months and I haven't seen any locks on the tongues or anything. I figure someone would steal a nice travel trailer before they look at my popup, but I don't know anyone that's ever had anything go missing on this street... knock on wood

18. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I've often thought I would use the ebrakes on my camper to help prevent theft. I have not done this yet, but what I was going to do was anchoring the pull lanyards to a fixed object outside of the camper. If someone tried to move the camper it would pull the lanyard and activate the brakes. Some ebrake systems rely on the camper battery, but others like mine, have their own built-in battery. I guess this would work.

19. brettstoner

brettstoner Active Member

Also if you live in an area concerned about security I would invest in GPS tracking. I have a remote automatic lawnmower that mows my grass everyday. I installed a GPS tracker inside it and about 6 months later it got stolen out of my front yard. I got an alert on my phone while I was at work. Called the police, gave them the location, turned the alarm noise on, and they found it in the back of a pickup truck. I pay $3 bucks a month for the internet service for it. Well worth it. By the time I came home from work my lawnmower was back on my porch. Thanks Maumee PD!

SHFL, Michael J and Anthony Hitchings like this.
  20. Anthony Hitchings

this technology would be great for the modern modular tool storage system that contractors have adopted. We get regular tool thefts in daylight out of the back of workers trucks here in Oakland, CA. The gps is signal not blocked by plastic and the device could be in a top tray or part container.