Eggs

Discussion in 'Healthy Outdoor Cooking' started by tombiasi, Jan 10, 2017.

1. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Wait ... What?!?!

2. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

PATMD... There are plenty of references to preserving eggs by sealing them in wax, oil, etc.to stop them drying out.
    It was common practice before the days of refrigeration, and often used at sea, and still popular among fans of off-the-grid living.
    If you completely seal the pores of a very fresh egg, and keep it cool, it may last several months

3. BelchFire

L. I. B.

4. WeRJuliIan

Translation please? ☺

5. BelchFire

Southern vernacular. "Well, I'll be ..." Say it out loud; it'll make sense. ;)

6. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

Just returned from a 56 mile Adirondack backpacking trip and we took two packages of these eggs. We made amazing breakfast burritos with scrambled egg, cheese and bacon (pre-cooked/no refrigeration needed style) for two of our mornings on the trail. Thanks again for the heads up. I like fresh eggs as much as the next guy but there are sometimes when you just can't have cold storage.

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You're welcome

8. WeRJuliIan

Just a point of interest:

The US is one of the few temperate countries where eggs have to be refrigerated.

Eggs actually have a natural coating that seals them and keeps them fresh - without refrigeration.

In the US, regulations require that eggs are washed/treated, which removes this coating and renders the shell porous... after which, they have to be refrigerated.
    The reason for this is that Salmonella is endemic in the poultry community. The washing process is supposed to decontaminate the shell.
    Other countries take a different approach, and inoculate the hens to eradicate it. This eliminates the need for "scrubbing", and leaves the shells intact and sealed, so immediate refrigeration isn't needed.

I grew up in the UK, where eggs were kept on a shelf in the pantry, standard practice in most of Europe... and any baker will tell you that cold eggs just don't produce the same results :)

IanP, off to defrost a couple of eggs for breakfast...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Fresh eggs, (do not wash or refrigerate etc.) can be kept for up to 2 weeks. Remember the hen lays one a day for a few weeks and they hatch with no problem. I have taken them on canoe trips for two weeks and they were fine.