electric alarm comming from converter

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by eprent9952, Aug 11, 2014.

1. eprent9952

eprent9952 New Member

Help, I'm new to pop ups. Last night I set up my pup and plugged in the electric. I heard an alarm comming from my converter panel. Nothing is plug in but I have an old battery. Could I need to replace the battery?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Welcome, what pup do you have? If you add make, model and year of the pup to your signature line, it helps the rest of us a lot.

Is the alarm actually from the convertor, or might it be something like the LP detector? Have you charged the battery regularly? How long have you had the pup and did things work well the last time you set it up?

3. Strut

Strut Member

Did any of the interior lights work while it was plugged in? If the battery is shot or completely discharged, the converter wont be able to charge it, and may be trying to warn you of this. Hard to tell if you don't give us more information on your PUP and its converter.

4. eprent9952

eprent9952 New Member

Sorry new to this, I have a 1999 jayco eagle. The battery was in it when I bought it and stupid me forgot to remove it last winter. Last time we took it out it didn't go off. Only goes off when I plug in the 120 ac. No propane was on when it goes off. Thanks

5. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

On many popups, there is a gas sensor to check for carbon monoxide and LP leaks... If battery voltage is low, the gas detector will sound an alarm.
    You may need to spend some time on hands and knees, to determine the source of the alarm.

6. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Some converters (Elixir ELX-xx) do have an alarm that sounds if the converter voltage drops below a certain level, generally caused by an overload (too many devices turned on).

A very dead battery much like the one you describe may indeed cause the overload situation as the converter tries to charge it.

Disconnect the battery and see if the alarm goes away.