Electric blankets....

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by 97Flagstaff, Sep 22, 2011.

1. 97Flagstaff

97Flagstaff New Member

Just getting ready for a hunting trip in late october here in Colorado.... my question is can you plug 2 electric blankets into one pop up camper without popping the breaker/fuse??? (one for each bunk end) I also have bought a nice ceramic osculating space heater that i will run directly off the shore power pole. Any information would be helpful....

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

You'll likely find that your AC outlets are rated 15 amps and you may have one 20 amp outlet for an A/C unit as well.

To figure out how many blankets you can plug in, find the maximum wattage output by each blanket, then divide by 110 (voltage) to calculate the amps the blanket will require.

Watts รท Voltage = Amps

While a blanket rated for 200 watts will use approximately 2 Amps, don't forget that you'd need to accommodate the amperage draws from an electric heater, lights, the fridge, etc.

Stay warm!

3. 97Flagstaff

97Flagstaff New Member

sweet thanks!! i think we will stay much warmer this year. last year we relied on the factory propane furnace and it couldnt keep up in the 20 degree weather we had, and ran all night long. ran us out of propane on the 3rd night at around 2am boy was it cold. electric space heater and electric blankets should do just the trick. Thanks again.

4. Manper

Manper New Member

as a Colorado native as well, and not to take away from the electric blanket cause damn does it get cold in those hills. Just keep in mind that you battery will suffer a substantial drain. Perhaps bringing additional propane tanks may be in order but to be honest in understand that when the heater runs all night, and possibly during the day, it empties pretty fast. Happy Hunting!!

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Whoopsie, Manper! The blankies won't be running off the battery...

6. 97Flagstaff

97Flagstaff New Member

that is correct nothing will be ran off the battery........... I dont even have a battery in the pup at the moment. in all of my past campers i have never used battery power always just boondocked in the summer where heat or electric wernt a nessisity, we just used lanterns. durring hunting season we stay at a little rink-e-dink campground with power in maybell, colorado for $10 a night what a bargin!!! and free hot showers!!!

7. bobber128

bobber128 Member

Reviving an old thread with a suggestion..We had some issues with our heater earlier this month, and it got COLD (below freezing).... We had a small space heater going, but also wanted to plug in our electric blankets, and didn't want to blow the fuses. So I took an extra extension cord, ran it out the bunk end (under the bottom of the canvas, where it bungees to the bottom of the bed) and plugged that in to the power drop. Then I attached a power strip to the extension cord and plugged in the space heater and one of the electric blankets, and plugged the other into the camper's outlets. It worked great. The camper still had plenty of amperage available, and we had plenty of warm beds....