electric lift - will only raise halfway on a full battery?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by PUPnoob5, Jun 13, 2019.

1. PUPnoob5

PUPnoob5 New Member

We just bought a used 2010 Coachmen Clipper with an electric only lift - no manual back up. The seller was honest about the issue but thought a new battery would fix the issue and knocked some money off. Says he just brought a battery charger and plugged it into that while doing other camp set up stuff until it was ready to go again. Husband did some research about converting it to a manual and decided if we couldn't fix it with a battery we would go that route.

New battery solved nothing, had the battery tested after purchasing and trying to use to lift the top and that's not the issue. Still only able to get it partway up before it stops completely and the battery dies. Now wondering if it's a motor issue? This is our first PUP and we are learning as we go - was hoping to use it with the electric lift on our first trip coming up in 2 weeks but definitely don't want to be trying to set up if it's raining and be stuck half popped for an hour or more while we wait to charge. We are going to call Goshen and order the parts to convert to manual today, but figured I'd ask here and see if anyone had any experience with a similar issue?

Thanks!

gladecreekwy likes this.
  2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Man I’d hate to have an electric lift with no manual back up. Way too many things can go wrong. They also use too much juice. Replace with a manual winch IMO..

3. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

Have you checked your fuses? Our lift kept draining our battery so we took it into the dealership to have it looked at since we have a warranty on it. They replaced the battery and a blown fuse and we’ve had no problems since.

PUPnoob5 likes this.
  4. PUPnoob5

PUPnoob5 New Member

I know, right?! We figured we would replace it eventually but seems like it's gonna be sooner than later!

5. PUPnoob5

PUPnoob5 New Member

The fuse box inside the camper didn't have any blown fuses - might there be a super secret fuse hidden elsewhere that would fix all my problems?! :tongue:

6. gladecreekwy

I’m no expert but if a fuse was blown would the winch work at all?

Spridle likes this.
  7. PUPnoob5

PUPnoob5 New Member

Well the battery apparently isn't drained after popping it halfway, husband checked once it stopped going and it's pretty much still fully charged. Not sure why it won't continue to lift or why letting it set for a while makes it work again? No blown fuses.

Glad we gave ourselves time to troubleshoot before taking it camping [:(O]

8. gladecreekwy

If the lift system hasn’t been serviced and lubed in a while it could be overheating the motor causing it to stop. Waiting allows it to cool off and start working again

theseus likes this.
  9. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

You are right, ours wasn’t working at all. Sorry, I must have missed the part where they said there’s was going up halfway. That’s what I get for posting before I’ve had my coffee.

gladecreekwy and PUPnoob5 like this.
  10. PUPnoob5

PUPnoob5 New Member

That makes sense!! We have the service/lubrication on the list of things to tackle this weekend since we aren't sure when the previous owner did it last.

Super appreciate all the input and quick responses! I'll report back once we've tried the above :)

gladecreekwy likes this.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

I believe that there is a limit switch that stops the roof. Have you checked to see if that is adjusted properly?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

There is always a super secret fuse that fixes everything, unfortunately i have yet to find it!
    I dont have a electrical lift but i would lube it, and check the limits as stated. Other problems could be blinding somewhere? Does it stop in the same spot each time? Or is it random?

13. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

14. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

Too many post here to read them all, but here is my opinion. If the motor can rest a while and then continue it sounds very muchh to me like there is too much of a load on the winch. The upper limit switch would not allow you to continue in a few minutes. My winch has two resettable fuses in the main power line going from my battery to the winch. If they trip, they will reset in a few minutes. However, I have never had that happen. There is also a hidden 60 Amp fuse (Non-resettable) buried in my winch wiring very near the winch itself. It sure sounds like you are blowing one of the resttable fuses that is soon resetting. Why is there too much of a load on the motor. Good question! I suspect the whole system needs to be lubricated. Also, your winch should be connected directly to the battery. Mine is. I did have a badly corroded connection one time that necessitated replacing a small section of wiring and one of the fuses. I'm almost sure you have a manual lift procedure on your winch. I know of two type of electric winches, and they both have a manual override. Can you post a photo of your winch? I'm not sure I understand what type of lift system you have. The Goshen system has only one cable that runs underneath the camper. Others use a Wiffletree system and many cables that run through pulleys inside of the camper. Post a photo if you can of the underside of the camper showing the lift system and of the winch. That might help us to help you troubleshoot.

15. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Your motor is pulling too much of a load. Something is binding or the motor be on its last leg. Lube everything you can and see how it goes.

16. joet

joet Well-Known Member

As stated, there will be circuit breakers in the system, that when overloaded will trip. After setting for a few minutes reset themselves. Most likely motor pulling too many amps. Would be helpful id you knew how many amps the motor is drawing. The breakers will have an amp rating on them. Common for one this age. . Most likely the armature is dirty causing the high draw. The only way to correct is to either replace the motor or totally dissemble and clean it.

17. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

As others have said it looks like you have a larger problem than just a battery, which means your lift conversion plan isn't really a plan. That and I agree with others, I would be shocked if there is no manual over ride built into the existing system.

18. Grandpa Don

The manual override on my electric winch is nothing more than a 7/16 bolt head on top of the worm gear on the motor. You really wouldn't know it was a manual override unless you had and read the manual. I have easy access to the winch and can easily raise and low my top with an 18-volt cordless hand drill. I can hold the drill with one hand and can raise and lower the top twice before the battery goes dead. Again, I'd love to see some photos of your system. The winch and the underside of the camper.

19. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

My winch system has an upper and lower limit switch. Find out who is your manufacturer and get there maintenance manual for how to reset the upper switch. I can raise and lower mine using an electric drill with a 3/4 inch socket. The manual handle fits as well but its about 2000 turns until the upper height is reached. Naw don't want to do that. You might check to see if it will fully extend using a drill. Lower the roof about a foot using the motor, then use your drill and see if it will extend to the top most setting. Watch your tension indicator (I have already popped mine off by over extending with a drill). If it won't fully extend using the drill then you can bet its probably not your motor or switches and is something else related to the lift system underneath the Pup.

MileHigh likes this.
  20. Grandpa Don

My camper is a 2003 model Viking with the electric winch. I have not had any problems with it that I didn't create myself and was easy to fix. But what I do is to start to raise the top and let it get about half way up. Then I pause for a about 30 seconds to give the motor a chance to cool. Then I continue to raise it the rest of the way up. I figured that since there is a heavy A/C unit on the roof it might need a little break when going up.