Electric scooters in Ga state parks and COE

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by georgiadave, Mar 26, 2012.

1. georgiadave

georgiadave New Member

Not sure if this is the right place to post , But The DW and I were thinking it would be nice to have a small electric scooter to go to the bath house , rest room ect.. I see them sell for pretty cheap at WM their portable fold down , Light , Ect.. But I cant find any where that states whether or not you can use them If anyone knows. I sure would be grateful to hear also if anyone uses them

2. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I can't see where there would be an issue, pretty similar to riding a bike or something. You probably wouldn't be able to take it on paths/trails that forbid motorized vehicles, but I'm sure you would be fine cruising around the CG. That said, these things aren't "road worthy"....as in major streets, highways, etc. These are mostly considered "neighborhood" transportation....as in something you would use to cruise around the neighborhood, or in this case, a CG.

3. georgiadave

georgiadave New Member

Definitely not for public roads they only run about 10 mph and only go about 6-8 mls on a charge but would be a big plus if I could use one camping Then getting close to the rest room showers wouldnt so much of an issue with DW and me

4. kentuckyrascal

kentuckyrascal Member

No different then the motorized wheelchairs as far as using at a campground. Don't know abt anyone else but mine holds abt 8 hr charge and that using it non stop. Many day trips have charged at night and go the next day. What you need to decided if u want a 3 wheeler or 4 wheeler and tire size. Mine is a 3 wheeler normal size tires. Doesn't do steep inclines well or handle the large gravel. Guess u look at the tire size the same way u do when looking at the walkers it all depends on how u r going to use it.

5. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Mrs. MR uses one at the campgrounds. It increases her mobility and keeps her from getting as tired. IMHO it's worth the $.
    MR

6. georgiadave

georgiadave New Member

I was just going to get a 2 wheeler with a seat wt around 50lbs can fold up put in bag price around $300.00, But only limited use. I can get a 50cc moped for about $600.00 but they weigh around 300 lbs and take up more space, That's why I want to make sure I can use one. The moped would get used more but the little scooter would be more easily packed and stored.

7. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

A motorized wheelchair type scooter would be no problem in a campground, only limitations being the off-road ability of the scooter itself. I doubt you would be restricted on the trails if it is marked no motorized traffic.

Now one of those 2 wheeled electric scooters.....I bet you would run into hassles with that. That is not the same as a wheelchair. I would say that would fall into the catagory of a golf cart and recreational transport. They might even require you to wear a helmet as well.

8. georgiadave

georgiadave New Member

Thats the reason I would like to know it they are useable, camping would be the only place I used it and if I cant use it camping I will be stuck with it .

9. thegoodlife

thegoodlife New Member

I dont see where a scooter like you are talking about would be any different than riding a bike in a campground. I would suggest calling a park and ask them just to be sure.

10. papachaz

papachaz New Member

Ga State Parks allow anything that is street legal. If you can buy a license plate for it, you can ride it there. Not sure about the battery powered scooters, are they street legal? I'm 99% sure the COE campgrounds around Alatoona say the same thing. absolutely no ATV's

as for motorized wheelchairs, they can not prohibit a disabled person from having their wheelchair, and YES there IS a difference in someone who has health related mobility issues and someone who just wants it so they do not have to walk to the bathroom...

11. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I just Camped at a Fl State Park and thought wow good Parents because all the kids wore helmets, its a state law that all kids 16 and under must wear one even kid's being pulled in the stroller thing on the back of bikes. Then #9 rule :CERTAIN VEHICLES ARE NOT PERMITTED: electric skateboards, electric scooters, Ezip, ZipRs, Razors, Pocket Rockets or GoPeds. Mini Motorcycles are not legal to operate in the Park. (F.S. 316-2128) Folks within our Group had electric scooters and Razors and were not razzed and I've never been in a private CG that bans them. Check with Ga State Parks. [8D]

12. georgiadave

georgiadave New Member

I dont think the scooters are street legal thats the way im reading the rules,

13. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

Potowatome State park in Wisconsin, they aren't allowed, my grandson and I found out the hard way....the wrath of the camp host... I don't see the big deal honestly. We could ride our bikes really fast, much faster than a scooter would go, but...what do I know.

Sent from my Supercharged Asus Transformer

14. georgiadave

georgiadave New Member

papachaz, So your saying Me being lazy isnt a disability thats O.K The DW and my boss at work would agree with you , But you cant blame a guy for trying. Just give me a shade tree a glass of sweet tea and Im happy oh yea and a spot close to the bathroom lol

15. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Golf Carts were allowed at this SP which is why I was shocked about rule #9. stating no electric scooters. [?]
    Golf Carts are permitted only on paved surfaces and can only be driven by a licensed driver. Number of Passengers is restricted to manufacturer's recommended seating capacity. Again, we had a Cart within our Group and all was good. So I would check with the Ga State Parks for the statues/laws/rules on electric scooters if you mainly Camp in Ga State Parks. IMHO as long as you do not Race, Run thru Camp Sites or Wreck, you will not be razzed, I like the idea of elec. scooters to buzz around [8D]

16. georgiadave

georgiadave New Member

golf carts are not allowed in ga. I think Im going to go with the safe side and just get a moped

17. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Take some friendly advice from someone who must use a scooter or wheelchair to get around at the campgrounds, PLEASE walk as long as you are able to. Easier is not always best and once you lose the ability to walk it is very hard to get it back. Just saying.

18. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Great suggestion, yooperwannabe. All of us who can should walk more; there will come a time when we can't, but walking in the meantime is one of the best things we can to forestall that day.

19. papachaz

papachaz New Member

LOL i wasn't trying to be a horses patootie, but i totally agree with yooper....this last year with this injury and the neuropathy in my legs and feet, i can walk some, but not much! i really miss being able to just get out and go do it. we still do, i just have to stop and rest so much it's a burden for anyone else who's going along. man was i ever one of those took it for granted so much....

20. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Went to a National Park last year (Sleeping Bear NLS, MI) and NO scooters were allowed - non-electric included.