Electric vs gas

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by CO Hiker, Sep 16, 2016.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

For heating water, I have both a tea kettle and an electric kettle. BY FAR, the electric kettle boils water faster than my LP stove, so I will use it if I have shore power. But, it's about the only thing electric I bring. It's not that I have any romantic ideas about cooking on one fuel source over the other, it's just that I don't want to find a place to store more appliances. I do tend to find large electric appliances hard to wash due to the size.

I camp 50/50 with shore power and without. With the exception of the tea kettle, I can't see carrying both electric and gas cooking appliances to cover all of my camping. So, out of sheer laziness and storage woes, I'd do as much with the built in LP as I could so I didn't have to store and wash two sets of everything.

I really DO like my electric kettle though, it boils water like crazy, which is good when it comes time to do dishes.

2. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

X3
    Totally agree

3. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Not getting rid of LP, just getting rid of the one on the tongue to reduce the tongue weight. A tank fits perfectly in one of the storage bins on the axle (wrapped in a blanket to keep it from rolling around, of course) and if going to high pressure, can park that tank anywhere and run the long hoses to it.

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Best answer!

For heating, I do prefer to use electric space heaters over gas. Not because of the price of propane, but due to the fear of carbon monoxide poisoning. Yes, I realize that keeping everything in good working order nearly eliminates this risk, and that carbon monoxide detectors exist. It's just a paranoia that I have from having suffered from it, and almost losing my 1 year old child to it, back in 1983. So for me, it's a personal thing that wouldn't impact others' decisions.

5. digger2

digger2 Member

My wife and I just came back from Watkins Glenn state park. Damp, dismal, cold,rainy weather.And although we do have gas heat,we don't use it.We ran down to Wally World and bought a $15 ceramic heater.It really worked good to take the chill off and dampness from the pop up. And we were getting some of our moneys worth out of the campsite. We don't run it when we go to bed though,to risky......That's what our ELECTRIC heated mattresses are for.
    Seriously.........if you pay for the site and the electric is there,why not use it ?

6. dion

dion Member

We often camp without hookups, and we will always maintain the ability to do so. So an electric stove would have to be an extra piece of gear in addition to the white gas stove. We buy a gallon of white gas about once every four years. I've forgotten what it costs, but whatever it is, the cost of fuel per night of camping is negligible. If we were penny-pinching, it wouldn't make sense to invest in an electric cooktop in order to cut our fuel bill in half (and it wouldn't cut our fuel bill nearly that much; we have hookups available maybe 20% of the nights we camp, at most). From our point of view, the more important thing is that we don't want to deal with yet another piece of gear to take up storage space with our kitchen equipment. We're always looking at ways to simplify and streamline our gear, so we'll stick with one stove.

7. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

We use a electric griddle for breakfast and throw a roast in the crock pot when we head down to the Lake for the day. Why burn my gas when I already paid for the electric? 85% electric 15% gas. Hobo pies or wennies over the fire latter on. Only time I use gas when I fire up the grill off aux outlet. rarely use the stove.

8. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

We cook most of our food over a fire or hot coals. We are seriously looking at at the Kamado Joe Jr. smoker to take with us next year. It is an insulated smoker so you can use it in all kinds of weather. We have its big brother, the Kamado Akorn for smoking and grilling at our home and it is rendered our stove and oven obsolete.

Attached Files:

9. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

I would give that another thought. Fire codes do not allow storing propane in non-vented compartment. And if that tank is not unloaded when setting up it could be called "in a occupied structure". But in you want to gamble with your family, use a milk crate instead of a blanket...

10. alba83

alba83 New Member

I can see both sides of the point but for cooking, I prefer anything EXCEPT electric. Have electric at home & despise it. We cook over mostly over the fire and occasionally on the stove.

Our PUP has neither heating or cooling built into it so I do take an electric fan and an electric space heater and do usually use one or the other depending on the weather (and sometimes both of them!).

When we bought the PUP, it had a microwave in it (didn't come with it, the owners just left it in there) but I got rid of it because I don't use one in my house so I figured I don't need one when I'm living "in the wild".

Used to have a coffee maker but that got broken - will most likely replace that one day if I find another one that I like. Do have a "over the fire" percolator to use in the meantime.

Sent from my iPad

11. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Sorry, my words were not explicit :) Not planning on using or leaving the tank in the camper, it fits in there for traveling, pull it out and setup outside for when camping and in use. My wife doesn't even like it in the van while we're driving...Moves the weight off the tongue and on the axle.

12. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

Okay, the tank in the van is about as safe as giving grenades to the kindergartners, glad that is off the table. :)
    Putting the tank inside a box would be seen as storing it in a unvented compartment. The wheels under the box do not change that. The wheels rolling, if change it at all, make it worse.
    Why not use some kind of quick release system (small chain binders?) to hold it to the tongue, the safest place to carry it? Move other things back to adjust the TW.

13. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We rarely even pay for hookups. Heck if I wanted full amenities I could just stay home as my house is very comfortable.

Half the fun of camping (for me) is pulling out the coleman lanterns and stoves and 'roughing it' just a bit. Of course others would say that I'm too posh and you really need to just cook over open fire. And still others would pull up with their 60" TV and sat dish.

14. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

For wife's health, and need for A/C we always camp next to power pole. But, propane is the backup cooking fuel. (She sometimes makes her coffee with electricity. If I make it, no) Our next trip, we will fix the whole Thanksgiving feast on wood and charcoal in cast iron and DOs.

15. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I would tell a know it all, busy body like that to mind his own business. I know how I like to cook while camping and it had nothing to do with trying to save a free pennies.

16. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

We cook with gas. The amount of propane used by the stove for a few days or even a couple weeks is negligible. If that seasoned gentleman did the math, he would probably find takes several years to pay off his electric griddle based on what he saves by not cooking with gas. Why haul extra appliances when the stoves comes with the pup?

Gas use by the furnace is much more significant. We use an electric space heater overnight when necessary. In that case, yes, free power is nicer than using our propane.

17. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

I would assume that he just wanted to have a friendly visit. Way get all uptight about it?

18. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

If I wanted to get chatted up by random strangers,i guess I would camp in campgrounds more often.

19. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I don't mind the occasional random chat... but usually that wouldn't have the subject matter be "you're doing it wrong..."

20. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

My wife prefers full hook up, so I use electric for most of things: heating, coffee, breakfast (using electric griddle), ocassionally pot roast or chicken with crock pot. I use propane for external stove uh er thats about it. At cooler/cold weather, I would use propane to warm the water only in the morning (I turn water heater off after I am done with dishes). I cook dinner mostly on fire pit.

Will be camping this weekend!!!!