Electrical Issue- 2013 Shamrock

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by lilspanisheddie, Jun 27, 2021.

1. lilspanisheddie

lilspanisheddie Member

This past weekend during a camping trip something went crazy with our electrical system. Typically, with shoreline attached everything works perfectly: Fridge, electric water heater, outlets, power awning and power slide out. We have never had to use any other source of power. My wife turned on the lights in the bathroom and then all of the sudden nothing worked, but we noticed the microwave was still functioning. I attached the 7 pin plug to my car and we could get all the internal electrical systems working. No blown or tripped fuses. I unplugged the 7 pin and attached the trailer battery and I had to use both shore power and battery to keep power on in the trailer. In the morning we couldn't close the awning and barely had enough power to make the slide out retract. Ended up having to connect the 7 pin to the trailer to charge the trailer battery and give it enough time to power up and close the awning.

We know the shore power was working because if we turned it off at the box the microwave would go off and when we turned it on the microwave came on. We had to turn on the propane to get the fridge to work. So we had to have shoreline, trailer battery and propane all going to power the camper. To me it sounds like some sort of converter wasn't converting the shoreline power into useable power, but I have no clue and don't know if that is even a thing. Any advice?

I have a 2013 Forrest River Shamrock. 30amp system.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Can you use a meter?

3. rsdata

rsdata Active Member

first thing to check is the condition of the battery... disconnected from all the wires that attach it to the trailer...
    you can't decide what the condition of the battery is without some type of voltmeter...
    pick up a $10-$15 meter from Harbor Freight, or a hardware store... that is all you need.

Also, did you check the water level under the battery caps? re-fill to split ring with distilled water only if low and charge

disconnect battery cables and measure voltage
    12.6 volts = fully charged
    12.0 volts = discharged and needs to be recharged
    10 volts or less = battery faulty and likely damaged

hook back up the battery cables, and plug into shore power
    13+ volts = battery being charged by the converter in the Shamrock

You do know that all systems in the trailer work off of 12 VDC, except the fridge, ( propane or 120 VAC) the microwave, anything else plugged into wall sockets...
    all other systems require 12VDC... some of which will come from the converter, but high draw items like awning motor will work better with an assist from the trailer battery or the tow vehicle battery via the 7 pin plug.

Get the meter and start troubleshooting. I think your trailer battery is discharged OR just bad. THe converter is trying hard to supply the 12VDC needs of the trailer AND recharge a bad battery. Maybe corroded battery terminals???

Raycfe likes this.
  4. lilspanisheddie

lilspanisheddie Member

We have never ever had to use the trailer battery anytime we camped. We have always been able to connect to shore power and it didn't require the use of anything else. In fact I leave the battery completely unhooked to not drain power. When i owned my popup, I never had a battery and never needed it when hooking up to the camp ground electrical system. The water levels in the battery are perfect. I do own a multi-meter, but I always forget what means what on the dial. I can definetly test something, I'll just need to look up the settings for the specific test.

5. lilspanisheddie

lilspanisheddie Member

RSDATA, you mentioned a converter. Is there something I can access to test? None of the breakers/fuses got tripped. Thanks for the quick response!

6. lilspanisheddie

lilspanisheddie Member

The outlets didn't work even thought the microwave was on. I have a meter that plugs into an outlet and when the outlets were running the meter showed 110.

The battery terminals are spotless and the battery supposedly was new when I bought the trailer in April

Could a bad GFI outlet cause any of this?

7. lilspanisheddie

lilspanisheddie Member

DELETE

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok, start again slowly. What exactly wprked and what didnt? Did the lights work and only the outlets didnt work? ( except for the microwave) or did all power go out lights and outlets? You need to learn the campers systems, some stuff lights, water pump, work on 12 v and the outlets , fridge ( in 110 mode) ac work on 110 volts. 110 is only shore power and the 12 volt can be battery or converter. So , what worked and what didnt? If just the outlets look for a gfci outlet and reset it.

9. lilspanisheddie

lilspanisheddie Member

The only thing that would work after the outage was the microwave. At that time the camper was only plugged into shore power, no battery use at all. Then I had to turn on the propane for the fridge and connect the trailer battery to get all my outlets and lights to work. By morning I assume my trailer battery was near low as there wasn't enough juice to close the awning. After using the 7pin connected to the car and the car running for about 30mins, I was able to close the awning. I couldn't close the awning with just the 7 pin connected. I had to wait 30 mins or so to get it to work. That made me assume, I was recharging the battery and there was enough juice to close the awning. It's like the shore power was definitely coming into the trailer, but not getting converted to 12volt. Lights and outlets wouldn't work unless plugged into the car through the 7 pin or when the trailer battery was attached.

I don't have any place to test the trailer with a 30amp system. I can attach it to my truck through the 7 pin. That would be the only source of power I could put to the trailer to test anything besides the trailer battery.

10. tombiasi

The trailer battery will not power the outlets.

11. lilspanisheddie

lilspanisheddie Member

What does the trailer battery do then?

12. Sjm9911

Here is the problem, the outlets will only work on shore power. Connecting the camper to the battery, or 7 should not effect that at all.

13. Sjm9911

It powers the 12 v system as i said above.

14. Sjm9911

It sounds like you may need to check everything again, on shore power, list all that works or dosen't, and on battery power. Make sure the battery is charged before you do this. Then maybe we can make some headway. Its hard to tell anything as the 2 systems shouldn't work as you described.

15. tombiasi

He needs to get from EWR to SFO.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Unfamiliar with those terms.

17. tombiasi

Its a reference to something I posted in another thread. It means from Newark to San Francisco.

18. rsdata

rsdata Active Member

FIRST things FIRST... hook up your battery... you said you un-hooked it...

wall outlets have nothing to do with battery power...

microwave on a separate circuit then wall outlets and unrelated...

The GFCI outlet is on the wall in the bathroom and also controls a couple of the other outlets...

connect the trailer battery, plug into shore power, then measure the battery voltage... put one volt meter control on V DC, and the range on 20, does not matter which lead goes where, but the battery should measure 12.6 volts or MORE if the converter is working, an hour later the voltage should be maybe 0.1 higher... and so on... getting more volts back into the trailer battery...

I am going to bet that you have the smallest Group 24 12V battery they make, and the battery is depleted. IT may take a long time to recharge the battery and it may bee damaged by unhooking it and not letting it charge. If you follow my voltage measurements in post #3 you may get an answer that we can be more specific about helping you.

Finally one other item to look for. Follow the battery cables up under the tongue and under the camper. in the front They should lead to a 4x4 inch electrical box. In the box thee should be a small 1/2 inch by 1 inch breaker with a small black button on the side. Push the button to reset that fuse. It will blow when fooling with the battery and it is NOT obvious to check it.

We both have Shamrocks and I have a 2014 which is almost the same as yours. I have experience with this camper and these electrical problems. Please do as I ask even if your experience with your previous popup is different.

19. lilspanisheddie

lilspanisheddie Member

I will. I do not have access to a 30amp electrical box at home. Any suggestions? I guess I will need to bring it to a camp ground and ask if they will let me hook up for awhile?

Also, let's assume the battery is garbage. I have never used the battery when camping. Everything used to work just by plugging into the electrical box at a campsite. That is why I leave it unhooked. It saves the battery in case I need it. I would like to learn the importance of the battery. I understand when boon docking you use the battery. Why would I ever need to use both shore power and the battery? I think knowing this will help me understand the shamrock electrical system better. Thanks again for replying to this thread and for telling me what to test.

20. Sjm9911

Do you have a 20 or 15 amp outlet at home? There are adapters to plug it into a reguler outlet. Just dont run all the systems at once or the ac with anything else on. The battery isn't important when you plug in , but it is needed for the break away cable to work your brakes. When you plug into shore power , it charges the battery. Also, if you loose power its good to have a battery as a back up, especially since you have a roof lift.

Raycfe likes this.