Electrical Issue- 2013 Shamrock

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by lilspanisheddie, Jun 27, 2021.

1. lilspanisheddie

lilspanisheddie Member

I do have a 15amp and I have the adapter to convert the plug from 30 to 15. I don't have a roof lift, but I do have a slide out and powered awning.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You need one of these to plug in your camper at home, 30 amp female to 15 amp male adapter.
    Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 9.31.40 AM.png
    This will power the convertor breakers > microwave, outlets, etc. It will power the air conditioner (maybe and never with other heavy draw items at the same time). The convertor will also now power the fuses for the water pump, lights, furnace, etc .......... and charge the battery ..... better than the tow vehicle will.
    SO NOW get an adapter like this or with a wire between the connections (like a dog bone) and see what works and doesn't. Tell us the results and we can help more.

I don't own a Shamrock ..... but I stayed at a Holiday Inn ..once.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The slide out and awning should be 12 v items, so battery or shore power converted to 12 v. Check everything, then check the fuses for the 12 volt stuff , and then reset the gfci. You have multiple issues going on. Try to read up in your pwners manual, it shoyld at least give you an idea abouth the systems.

4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

5. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

you do know that it's illegal to tow the trailer without a battery to power the breakaway switch, right?[:O]

6. carbonunit

carbonunit New Member

Had a similar problem that I never saw before develop on our last trip. It had been raining shortly after we arrived and I noticed that my 3 110V outlets in my camper (2 inside and 1 outside) were not powered. I finally figured that I had an extension cord plugged in to my outside plug downstream of the GFI plug in the camper. It popped my one GFI plug because the extension cord end was sitting on a damp ground under the trailer. I unplugged it, and after about an hour was able to reset the GFI and get all 3 outlets working. I am wondering if the GFI in the washroom tripped and shut down all plugs downstream. Water could have been splashed on the outlet in the bathroom popping a GFI? The microwave could be plugged into a circuit not protected by a GFI and thus did not pop?

7. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Sounds similar to what happened to us last weekend. Battery disconnected, low voltage out of the converter so that if you turned on 2 led lights the 12 volt blacked out completely while 120 VAC continued to run. I was able to get the lights back on by flipping the breaker that feeds the converter off, and then back on. We were in a small, rural private cg with all sites full and A/Cs running 24/7 so it may have just been low voltage from shore power, not enough to power the converter with the A/C slurping up most of the 120 volt. We were attending a family gathering so we were away from the camper all day just using it for a place to relax and sleep in the evenings.

Because the battery was disconnected the frame grounds for the converter and battery are out of the loop. When I get it cleaned up where I can get to the back of the converter I will meter one of the fuses to the white wire that comes out the back. If I see voltage less than 13.6 I will consider the converter needs replacement. If voltage is good there I will start checking connections to the lights.

I was thinking the water pump had gone out but if it's low voltage out of the converter that would explain that also.

If you have a lead acid battery it would be best to have the battery connected when on shore power to that the converter can help to maintain the battery. If your battery was already depleted it can actually suck most of the amps out of the converter trying to recharge it and make it look like the converter is not working correctly.

Regardless of what I find on the converter issue I will probably replace it with a new converter capable of supporting my LiFePO battery so that I can use it for backup in low voltage situations. We use shore power so infrequently that I never considered this situation.

neighbormike likes this.
  8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I was able to get the camper up between thunderstorms, not much wetter than it was. Lights are bright and water pump runs off of the battery. Currently have both bunk end fans going on battery only to dry out the mattresses. Converter replacement seems more likely now.