Electrical mystery on Jayco 1206

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by drmark50, Jul 30, 2013.

1. drmark50

drmark50 New Member

Looked at a 2009 Jayco 1206 today and was unable to get the overhead lights to work. Plugging in the accessory fan/light wouldnt work either. PUP was plugged in and outside light and water pump worked. I didnt have anything to plug into an outlet but the ground fault outlet by the sink lit up and could be tested. I checked the fuse box and all the fuses were fine and breakers were on. I turned the fridge on AC but couldnt tell if it on. I did not hear the compressor kick on.

The PUP has sat in storage for 2 years and the battery was not hooked up. I used the electrical issues to negotiate a lower price and put down a deposit. ANY IDEAS WHAT IS WRONG? Is this an easy fix?

2. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Since the water pump worked, I wouldn't focus on the cutoff switch. Typically, the wires to the roof lighting run up the canvas near one of the supports. There is usually a connector where the wires come out of the box and enter a slot in the canvas. I'd check the connector for starters.

Hope this helps,
    JR

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

And your refrigerator doesn't have a compressor......

4. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

Jayco typically locates the "safety switch" on the inside roof edge, driver's side, near the rear lift post.

The switch may be sticky, or the wires are connected to the switch with slide-on spade terminals that can come loose.

The safety switch cuts off power to the overhead lights when the roof is lowered so a light left on won't burn a hole in the bedding.

5. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

did you check to see if the bulbs were in and in good condition?

6. DaveWo

DaveWo Member

On my 2008 Jayco 1207 you can see the safety switch with roof raised near the driver side rear support pole (outside).

7. drmark50

drmark50 New Member

I claim ignorance! That is reassuring to know. I have read they take time to cool. My only option at the time was 120V. We had somewhere to be so had about 45 min to look at the PUP. It still had the "new car smell" in all the cabinets and was in immaculate shape. I negotiated a very good price and put down a small deposit in hopes it would be a simple fix. I did not see any evidence of mice infestation or any damage.

8. drmark50

drmark50 New Member

The filaments were intact on both. I plugged in the accessory fan/light too. The odds of 3 bulbs being out simultaneously is very low so I don't think it was the bulbs.

9. drmark50

drmark50 New Member

I am hoping this is my simple fix. The owner says he had it winterized and has not used it, any chance this has anything to do with it?

10. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

Not familiar with Jayco's, but on Fleetwood/Coleman the safety cutoff switch also cuts off power to the water pump. Since his water pump is working, I thought this was less likely.

Any Jayco Owners out there that can comment?

JR

11. COdreaming

COdreaming New Member

I have a 2009 Jayco 1206. The cutoff switch would be my first look. Unfortunately I'm out of town right now and can't get a picture for you. It's a little square black switch located inside the roof along the left side and against the rear lift rail.

12. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

The water pump IS NOT connected thru the safety switch on my 2005 Jayco Baja.

13. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

It's a normally closed limit switch that opens when the roof closes down and contact the side wall. Looks similar to this:

[​IMG]

14. drmark50

drmark50 New Member

Thanks for all the replies. The seller has informed me the fridge is working, took time to cool down. I will be picking it up in about a week. I am hoping it is either the switch on the lift pole or faulty switch on the sink. Will post with results.

15. drmark50

drmark50 New Member

UPDATE

The safety switch works and the wire connections are good. The outlets do not seem to work. Furnace and refrigerator do work. Does thst take the converter out of the equation. Battery is fully charged. Any other troubleshooting suggestions?

16. daveman

daveman Member

I'd check for voltage on both sides of the safety switch with a multimeter first....my Starcraft Comet uses the same setup as the Jayco...with the roof up there should be 12 volts (referenced to ground) on both sides of the switch. If only one side has 12 volts, the switch is internally defective.

I'd then pull the fuses & use the same multimeter (on a resistance setting) to actually verify the fuses are good....those auto-type blade fuses can look great but not have continuity.

If you have no voltage at the switch, check the connections at the converter....it's the same type of spade lug, and it may simply have come loose....finally, if the converter has 12 volts going out to the lights, but there's not 12 volts at the safety switch, grab a length of 12awg auto wire, add 2 spade lugs, and jumper the converter output to the safety switch, effectively eliminating the factory supply wire. If everything works, the original wire has been pinched or cut sometime during the past....again, a fairly easy fix once you identify it as the issue....

good luck!

17. drmark50

drmark50 New Member

So it was a simple fix. There was a poor connection on a snap connect near the top of the rear lift drivers side. I didn't notice it upon my initial inspection, but pulled on the connection and it easily separated.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions!!

18. timothias

timothias New Member

After reading all the suggestions, the actual solution seems kind of anticlimactic.... Glad you got her figured and congrats on the new PUP.

19. drmark50

drmark50 New Member

It was but I love the simple fix! Excited to use the pop up. Thanks again for all the help.