Elixer ELX-30 power converter questions

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by brainradio, Mar 14, 2010.

1. brainradio

brainradio 2000 Palomino Colt

I have a ELX-30 power converter and i am not sure what it is supposed to do.

The harness on my truck allows for lights only. My palomino colt has 2 harnesses - a 4 pole flat which runs the lights nicely and a 8 pin which I don't use (the extra connections are for optional brakes and from what I can tell running the fridge while driving).

When I plug in the PU to 15A, i have power to all the 120V recepticles. there is however no 12v power leaving the ELX-30. Should their be? I understand that the converter is used to charge a 12V battery (which I don't have), but should it not also convert 120vAC to 12vDC for the interior lights?

thanks

2. brainradio

I should add.... when the converter is plugged in to 120V I hear a faint ticking sound. As well the cooling fan is not operational.

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Yes, the converter should change the AC power to DC to operate the interior lights, the furnace fan and the water pump (although you don't need the water pump if you have pressure from being connected to city water).

4. brainradio

Would you suggest that the system needs a battery to provide 12v? I cant see why it would however I have seen some web content that suggests a battery is required.

5. cruising usa

cruising usa New Member

Brainradio
    The faint ticking sound may be the fan. You need a battery if you have electric brakes. The battery is used to actuate the brakes if the trailer comes unhooked from the TV and the brakes are actuated by the safety switch.
    If you have 0V from the converter check the fuses.
    Good Luck Happy Camping