Elixir ELX-30 converter charging

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Ray Cole, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Ray Cole

Ray Cole New Member

Ok, I have read negative posts about the Elixir converters but it is what I have and do not want to replace it unless I have to.

Does anyone know:

1. what is the voltage at which the converter considers the battery fully charged and switches to maintenance mode?
    2. what is the voltage it uses in maintenance mode?

Thank you,

Ray

2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

3. pagbaum

pagbaum New Member

HI R
    Hi Ray Curious if you ever found more info or advice from anyone. I have the same model and I already found that manual online. But it doesn't answer your questions (or mine). I am trying to figure out if I need to get some kind of charger/minder or if this converter will take care of everything for me. But I'm curious how one might use the converter for charging when there is no indication anywhere that the batter is charged? If you have any info I'd love to know. Thanks,
    Josh

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My 2008 StarCraft RT14 came with this unit installed... This is a SINGLE MODE charger. Will put out a constant 13.6VDC at 30AMPS I think it was...

Leaving your battery connected to this will eventually BOIL OUT your battery fluids if left connected. I lost one of my batteries before I realized this was happening. It will charge your battery but you have to watch it to be sure it is not boiling out your battery fluids... I had to constantly check my battery fluid levels...

I changed mine out for a more modern WFCO 8900 series Power Distribution panel for both 120VAC and 12VDC circuits. This came with a WF8945 Power Converter which I could never get it to go into SMART CHARGING MODEs... I abandoned the WF-8945 charger for a Progressive Dynamics PD9260C unit and have been using this since early 2009. This did well keeping my three GP24 12V Interstate batteries charged over the years and they lasted up to 2014 before starting to not hold a good charge for very long...

I still have my ELIXIR ELX-30 unit here on my work bench. makes a great source of 12VDC for my various projects...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

5. Ray Cole

Ray Cole New Member

Hi Josh,

No, did not get an answer to my question though Roy's recent response confirms my suspicion that this converter can overcharge batteries.

My solution was to get a Battery Minder SCC515, a small solar panel with a charger/desulfator as part of the system to maintain the charger on my battery, a Firfly Oasis carbon foam unit. Almost all my camping will be off the grid and will be buying a larger solar battery charger so will not really need the converter for battery charging (I hope).

Ray

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

This is what I ran into.... My needs is get recharged on a daily basis so I can do it all over again for the next day/night run off the batteries when camping off grid...

My three 85AH 12V Interstates will allow around 55AMPS DC Current when I first hit them with 14.4VDC after they have been depleted down to their 50% charge state each morning. In my case this is around 12.0VDC as read on my master DC VOLTMETER.

I will fire up my 2KW Generator around 6AM each morning when allowed to start my daily recharge using my PD9260C Smart Mode Charger. This will immediately start showing around 55 AMPS D current being absorbed by the three batteries. This will start tapering off and in an hours time of running my 2KW Generator this will start reading around the 6-8AMPS being absorbed... Leaving all of this still connected to the Generator I will finally reach a 90% charge state in about 3-4 hours of running my generator each morning. This is when I see somewhere around 2-3 AMPS DC being absorbed.

Switching to solar would not work for me as I would not have enough solar panels to get past the initial 55AMP absorb time. A typical 120WATT Solar Panel in high sun will only produce around 5-6AMPS DC Current. In my case I would want to run my 2KW Generator for the first hour to get paste the high DC Amps absorption time and then allow the two or three solar panels to continue my battery charge for the rest of the day while in high sun. I guess all of this make sense haha... Each battery will want to absorb a good 17-20AMPS DC current when hit with the initial 14.4VDC... Then you will want to drop the charging voltage down to 13.6VDC for a couple of hours and then down to 13.2VDC to keep the batteries from being over charged...

Duplicating all of this with solar panels I think would be a big challenge for me...

I haven't done the solar panel idea yet...

Without my PD9260C 60AMPS Smart Charger around along with my 2KW Generator I know I would not have enough solar available to keep me going for very long... The very high DC Current initial absorption time would be the killer for me...

I have had a good experience doing the 2KW Generator for 3-4 hours each morning over the years...

I think I can do the generator for the first hour of the charge period and then allow the solar panels to get me to the 90% charge state during the high sun period will work out just fine but would always want to have the generator on hand in the event of cloudy days I know I am going to run out of high sun before the afternoon sets in... I would run out of PLAN B haha...

In my case it is all about planning haha... Not much fun getting dark and not have the batteries ready to go for the next day/night run when camping off grid...

Of course this is only me yapping here haha... I'm sure others have figured out a way to get it done... Having my high amperage Converter setup along with my 2KW generator is my answer... Adding minimum solar later on will reduce some of this effort but in my case would not replace any of it... Getting 55AMPS from solar panels for several hours during the day might be sort of expensive...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. pagbaum

pagbaum New Member

Thanks Ray!