Elk

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by Hilldweller, Oct 30, 2021.

1. Hilldweller

Hilldweller Well-Known Member

Last Saturday while camping with the Aliners Owners Club at the fall rally, we took a spin over to the visitor center at GSMNP and got treated by watching a herd of 77 elk. The rut was winding down and the big bull was watching his harem jealously.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Cool! For a moment there, I thought that buck was about to get busy. [LOL]

3. pmwoodward

pmwoodward New Member

I recall being in a Canadian Provincial campground out west which had a field that had a very large number of elk. They came around dusk. It was one of my most memorable camping experiences ever!

myride, Hilldweller and Sweetpea like this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I love it up there. My very first trip to the Smokies I drove down to the Cataloochee visitor center where they were blocking traffic and hanging out in the field there. It was an awesome experience even if they delayed my trip out of the park. I now try and make a trip up every year.

Hilldweller likes this.
  5. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

They are bulls and cows. :D

Hilldweller likes this.
  6. Hilldweller

We were hiking in Banff and I thought I spotted an old antler sticking out of some tall grass.
    So I went over to claim my souvenir.
    And then two gigantic bulls woke up (rather startled), snorted, got their wits about them, and charged.
    My wife and two other bystanders had already taken refuge under a picnic table. No room for me so I jumped on top. The two bulls ran past, one on each side, just missing me with their antlers. I snapped a few pics as they ran off ---- will have to try and find them.

Bigger elk up in Banff for sure.

myride likes this.
  7. myride

myride Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yes indeed, wake up every morning in Jasper to them. They LOVE coming in to town every morning early before traffic picks up and having a little breakfast on the trees and garden areas.

Hilldweller likes this.
  8. Hilldweller

Jasper is the only place I've been to where I saw both elk and griz on the side of the road foraging side by side, neither minding the other, and cars not slowing down for a look. Ponderous to this southerner.

9. myride

myride Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I've witnessed the same Hilldweller, until recently (last two years) there would have been a traffic jam stopped for the photo op (and at times still happens). But the parks have placed a "no stopping" rule in place that can be quite pricey ticket-wise if a ranger catches you so most just continue on there way.

Hilldweller likes this.
  10. Austin694

Austin694 Active Member

Elk are such cool animals. We were in Yellowstone in September and every morning we would hear the elk bugling. A few years ago we were driving up 101 in Northern Cali and the elk migrate through there. And my family still makes fun of how I yelled Look,Look,Look, and swerved to the side of the road to watch them.

Hilldweller likes this.
  11. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Big bull watching his girl at the Mammoth Post Office, Yellowstone 4B8C19CE-4056-47FF-920C-79080C39E3B3.jpeg