Elkmont -Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Discussion in 'Tennessee' started by robbitybob, May 28, 2012.

1. robbitybob

robbitybob New Member

We camped at Elkmont Tuesday May 22 through Saturday May 27. We used the online system to reserve and pay for site J 10. Our site was right on the Little River and perhaps the best site on that side.

The bathrooms are old and like almost all of the GSMNP campground toilet facilities, they have no electrical outlets. And just like all the other GSMNP campgrounds they have no showers either. The toilet facilities are old but they functioned flawlessly. Don't be fooled by the hot water handle on the faucet! There is no hot water either.

Drinking water is available near the water fountain near each restroom. Great tasting water by the way!

Unlike Cosby Campground on the "quiet side" of the Park that has new roads Elkmont's roads are pretty ragged. Potholes are the norm and add to the noise level at your campsite as vehicles CLUNK into the holes as the go around the campground loop. Not much of an issue early in the week but as the campground filled you really noticed it.

Elkmont is a great location for hiking and visiting Gatlinburg, if you like the touristy stuff. I think it took us right at 20 minutes to drive in for an evening of putt putt.

We didn't see a bear in or near the campground. Or hear of one in fact. However, we had a guest that had never been to Clingmans Dome. On the walk up they had two Rangers posted at two separate places because they have had so many bears come on the trail. It's no wonder the bears do it. I spotted candy pieces, an apple core and orange peels on the side of the trail. Please don't leave junk on the trail. If you bring it take it out. Even candy that falls out of your kid's mouth! OK enough "Leave No Trace" preaching.

All in all Elkmont is a nice place. I rate it an 8. It would be a nine if the place was in better shape and a ten if the sites were more isolated from one another (pet peeve of mine in primitive campgrounds).

2. Buttermilk

Buttermilk New Member

I sure wish they would Put in water, electricity and some showers in the campgrounds in the Smokies. I might never come back home.

3. papachaz

papachaz New Member

that may very well be the whole point, [LOL] [LOL] they know they'd never get rid of some of us

thanks for the review Rob! i've looked at trying to book a site at Elkmont, but the times i have to go they're booked up

4. BAPU

BAPU Member

Thanks for the info! We are headed to Elkmont in about 2 weeks!

5. jimmyzshack

jimmyzshack New Member

We are planing to go also oct 7-13. Can't wait. Thanks for the review. Haven't booked a site yet though.

6. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

The wife and i tent camped there two years ago in June to watch the fireflies. The best way in my opinion. We walked over at dusk, grabbed a spot in the woods near the creek, and watched fireflies for a couple of hours, walked back to our camp and went to bed. They have synchonous (sp?) fireflies usually the first week in June. One of of only two places in the world you can see them, the other being China i think. It's a bit older of a campground but nice.

7. Oranges Rhymed

Oranges Rhymed Member

Re: synchronous fireflies--my father said he say this once in his youth (so 1930s) in Alabama.

Elkmount sounds beautiful.

8. BAPU

BAPU Member

We just returned from GSM and enjoyed our stay at Elkmont. I reserved online and feel that we had the BEST spot in the park. A-13!