Elkmont Grilling

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by rpc50, May 18, 2015.

1. rpc50

rpc50 New Member

Hi!

My wife has just informed me that we cannot bring our grill (smallish kamodo style grill) to Elkmont in the Smokies. She claims to have heard somewhere that it is against the rules because you cannot secure it at night and that the smell of old food could attract critters and that the Rangers will give tickets for this.

1. Is she right?
    2. If she is, are there any suggestions on how to critter-proof a grill? Keeping in mind that after each use, i fire it up to about 600-700 degrees and sear off any leftover food, then scrub it well with a stiff wire brush. In other words, it stays very clean....

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

'Food Storage
    All food and equipment used to prepare and store food (stoves, pots, coolers, etc.) must be kept sealed in a vehicle (preferably the trunk) or in a camping unit constructed of solid, non-pliable material or as otherwise directed at all times when not in use. If your vehicle does not have a trunk for storing food and equipment, the following campgrounds have food storage lockers: Balsam Mountain, Big Creek, Cades Cove, Cataloochee, Cosby, Deep Creek, Elkmont, and Smokemont.

Dispose of garbage promptly in dumpsters provided. Unattended or improperly stored coolers and food may be impounded by campground staff and stored at the campground office. This regulation will be strictly enforced and violators are subject to fines.'

3. rpc50

rpc50 New Member

Yea... Iread that on the website too. I am looking for some hand's on beta....
    thanks

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

You can take it and use it but;
    anytime it isn't being used, it must be cleaned and put away.

The staff does drive the campground regularly looking for coolers and grills. If you are outside on the site, it is allowed. If is not allowed if you are in the RV or offsite.

Bears have learned what a grill looks like and they have very strong sense of smell. If you have a dirty grill packed away they will destroy whatever is in the way until they find it.

I wouldn't want it on my campsite or in my RV or vehicle.

5. StPeteClipper

StPeteClipper Member

We spent 4 nights up there last August in a tent. Cooked everyday on my coleman stove and when I was done with it I cleaned it as I normally would, put it back in its original box, and then back into our SUV. Never once had a problem. We were part of a group and all of us had some sort of camp stove. That is a killer site. Loved every minute of it.

6. rpc50

rpc50 New Member

Thanks. I really appreciate this feedback.... I really don't have a way to "put it away" so it would have to stay outside in our site. I called the Park today and actually ended up talking to the extremely nice camp host at Elkmont who said as long as it is clean, it is ok. I'm really not sure i want to risk it.... We're traveling from a long distance to get there and once we're there, i'm not interested in leaving the Park unless it's an emergency. I think we might just stick with making everything on our PUP's stove and in our firepit.

Thanks everyone for the info!

7. WingShot

WingShot New Member

So you're looking for advice from people that have violated the rules and gotten away with it?