Elora Gorge - Elora , ON

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by CBourne, May 30, 2014.

1. CBourne

CBourne I'd rather be camping

Hubby and I spent 2 nights here in July, 2013. We are on site 152, which can very easily can get mixed up with 151. We set camp on the wrong one and had to pull-up and move over 1 site.

Site was low to semi-private with afternoon sun. Not far from clean vault toilet and less than 2 mins to the comfort station.

Nice variety of tents, pups, hybrids, TT and RVs. I like to be nosey and check out different setups (from a far).

We had poor Neighbour's one night with some late night/very early morning fireworks - like 3am. Went on for 2+ hours before the OPP showed. Either way they got evicted the next morning by the Warden.

This park is DRY every day. There is a FULL ALCOHOL BAN at this park at all times. The park is aptly named for the gorge which provides the back of some campsites. There are barriers, but nothing completely safe.

There are tubes you can rent in groups to float down the river. Gets pretty choppy in areas. There have been accidents on the river, as was the weekend we were there. Be sure to follow the signs for river updates and do not ignore postings or signs.

We had our fur daughter with as and she did awesome. Only saw a few other dogs, but I'm sure there were more in the open areas.

All in, will go back again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

LOL , we did the same thing several years ago at that same park and i think the same site . Got all set up and had to move .

3. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

I think that is a common thing for those sites. Friends of ours did the same thing last year! lol

So, if we go, we will be sure to DOUBLE check the sites before setting up! Obviously they can be easily confused or not well marked?

Is this a good park for kids?

4. Canoe2fish

Canoe2fish Member

It is a beautiful park but not completely safe for young kids. In many places, the barriers to the gorge area consist of only a single pipe rail. In others, its only a low stone wall. A few sites back onto the gorge...so EXTRA careful supervision of kids is recommended IMO. I suspect the total alcohol ban is likely due to the fact that over the decades, many people have been killed or gravely injured due to falls into the gorge. Why the GRCA does not put chain link fences up is a mystery to me. Be sure to abide by the tubing rules. Last year a group of teens went tubing after hours and during high water....a tragic move which meant one of them never went home.

If you do go, there is lots to see and do. Small caves in the main gorge and adjoining Irvine gorge (The latter is easily walked and waded (Irvine is only shin deep at low water). Elora has nice shops and dining and there is a quarry nearby for better swimming (jumping no longer allowed though) Trout fishing at its finest in the area with stocked Browns for those who like to wet a line. (Regulated zone though - check the regs)

5. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Good to know Canoe2fish. Thanks! Our children aren't young-young (9 & 7) but obviously still watched! Yes, why they wouldn't not put up a chain fence....who knows! Maybe no funding?!?!?

But still good to be aware of.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Most Conservation areas are "dry" parks... this keeps the partiers away ... Rinsed out Timmies cups work much better then red solo cups ... [;)]

They haven't put up a fence because like many other parks there is no need for one... Not going to discuss parenting techniques, but teach the child and be blunt .. "you go there and fall over, you die ... " kids are smart, they will figure it out ...

7. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

I agree with your methods Craig. This is the way we have taught our kids! Live and learn!