Emergency Pismo fail pls help!

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Kati "Chirp" Blackledge, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Kati "Chirp" Blackledge

Kati "Chirp" Blackledge New Member

Hi friends so we get to Pismo Beach today and they tell us that there’s a limit of three license plates per campsite. We have four license plates a truck, a trailer and two plated bikes which happen to be one dual sport adventure bike and the other is a Harley Davidson. We are not set on being in Pismo Beach but right now we are scheduled to be here until the sixth and we need a back up place to stay. Currently we are at AVILA Hot Springs, which is kind of a dump but it was OK for two days while we waited to get indoor Pizmo spot. We found a cool place to camp in Port San Luis Obispo Harbor but there are no spots available there. What I need is any of you to tell me if there someplace that has last-minute availability. If you happen to know someplace that has this type of arrangement or some sort of backdoor way to get in we would appreciate it. Thank you so much this is Monday, July 1 at 11 o’clock and we basically have until 2 o’clock to figure out what to do.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Can you leave the truck at a local Walmart and shuttle in with the bikes?

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Once you park the camper, take the plate off. Problem solved. It's called Maliciouscomplaince!

kcsa75, Orchid, HappyTraveler and 3 others like this.
  4. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Lake Lopez (10 miles inland form Arroyo Grande) has a HUGE campground and might be available.
    Morro Bay State park (Morro bay- further north)
    Montana de Oro state park (South of Morro Bay)
    Of course, it's 4th of July weekend- beach camping has probably been booked for months.

5. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Are you camping at the North Beach Campground? If so I believe that there is street parking on Cabrillo Hwy just outside the campground. I would park the truck there. It looks like a nice campground I just road past it 2 weeks ago.

6. Kati "Chirp" Blackledge

Oceano dunes right by the entrance. Hubby looked around, was like, street parking is dicey and can’t overnight 2a-6a prohibitive

7. Blackripley

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  8. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Check out https://slocountyparks.com
    for county park info. I seem to recall there a few county parks with camping in that area.

9. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

If you don’t park the bikes on the ground at the site and keep on the trailer when not in use it would be cargo at that point I would think? A boat or two jet skis on a trailer wouldn’t be counted separately from the trailer. This rule would have to imply vehicles taking up space on the site and if on the trailer when not being used would surely not be a problem for anyone.

10. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I will remember that one!! [:D]

11. Blackripley

Any luck, Kati "Chirp" Blackledge?
    Looking on google maps it looks like that there is an Elks lodge nearby if you are a member I'm sure they will accommodate you. If not there is still a good chance they will help out for a small fee.

12. Kati "Chirp" Blackledge

Damn! There were two guys at the lodge and I even said to hubby, hey, I should go ask them if I can pay a few!!! Hubby was like, no! I should’ve listened to myself! Those two guys left! Now it’s closed!
    The state park is being a big butthead. We are 52/53 years old both with bad backs. Hubby does not want to load/unload both bikes every day or even one bike. AND there is NO dumpsite! You have to drive to another location!!! I hate state parks! Never again! There is a very low intelligence rule following person at the gate! Another employee seemed more sympathetic! Honestly, it’s nuts!

Blackripley likes this.
  13. Kati "Chirp" Blackledge

As of now, we are still on target for state campground.

14. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Yeah, I was thinking the same as others and put one or both bikes in the truck bed and cover with a tarp or something.
    Had to chuckle over your story of you not listening to your "voice" and asking the guys at the lodge, but hubby saying "no". Mine would be the same way. Must be what prevents them from asking for help/directions. ;)
    Hope you're able to figure something out.

15. Kati "Chirp" Blackledge

Yeah we can, but we use them all! We ride mostly but it’s such a hassle to hv to worry about it! I think I’m going to pay someone in camp to leave bike at that site!

Orchid, JustRelax and Blackripley like this.
  16. Blackripley

17. Kati "Chirp" Blackledge

So we got into the state campground. One of our bikes is in the parking lot. We hope to wait unti another employee comes on and out Fox them. No one in here seems to care. Just at the front door. We will be heading up to Cambria and Monterrey tomorrow and Wed. Then back here we’d night thru Sat

Blackripley likes this.
  18. Blackripley

Some times it is a sad shell game, nowhere in the rest of CA does a (or a pair) motorcycle(s) equal a car or RV in taking up space.

Please let us know how it goes going north, we love that area up there but never camped there. Well once at Laguna Seca during a race but that does not truly count.

I want to try Hearst San Simeon State Park and Montana de Oro State Park that are on the way up there.

19. Kati "Chirp" Blackledge

Montaña was gorgeous, but we didn’t camp there, just went to the beach and the little museum! Loved it all!
    Best cool camping, look up Port San Luis camping. Cool and quirky and quiet right in the cutest lil town of Avila!

Blackripley likes this.
  20. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

That's the same thing I was thinking. The rule was probably intended so a bunch of large vehicles wouldn't be overhanging the site. Surely they would make an exception for two bikes.