empty portapotty less than half full?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Tomlin, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Tomlin

Tomlin New Member

Can't find any discussion regarding this. What is the thing to do? We go camping, but our porta potty gets just half filled. Do we empty it each time? Or wait until it needs it & save on chemical? Hmmm. Do campers with trailers & bigger rigs empty each time? We are new to this, so it's an honest question. [PUC] [PUT]

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I always empty my toilet at the end of every camping trip no matter how much or little is in it. I don't want that stuff sitting in there for weeks at a time between trips. The cost of extra chemical is inconsequential to me.

3. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

We empty ours at the end of each trip, no matter how full or empty it may be.

4. smallcamper

smallcamper New Member

I empty and rinse our cassette at the end of the trip.

5. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

Depends on the condition of the gaskets, and how well they seal. [:O]

Big difference between an empty holding tank, and a partially filled tank.
    The partially filled tank will slosh around [:(O] on the road, and if there is any weakness or leak in a gasket, [:(O] [:(O]

Then too, the bowl should be clean for the road. [;)]

Best bet is to dump it each time, unless you are sure it can handle the road sloshing. [;)]

6. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

We also empty it each time we go out.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Like others we empty at the end of each trip. Add 6 gals. of water to the black tank prior to the next trip and off we go.. For the size of tank on the porta potti, I would empty each trip as well even if it were half full.. The amount of chemicals and money you'd save would make it worth wait for the next trip ..

8. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

The cost of the chemicals is moot if the "sloshing" 1/2 full holding tank leaks at all. I wouldn't leave the campground with anything in that tank, but that's just me. Kind of like carrying around a grocery bag of dog poo because you think you can fit more into the bag. [:(O]

9. hakrjak

hakrjak Member

Agree that if you don't dump it (and I bleach it) after every trip -- your camper will smell like poo the next time you open it up from storage. Those gaskets are terrible and always end up leaking!

10. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Empty the thing. Chemical is cheap. If fact, make sure you add chemical and enough water in the cassette to cover the bottom of the tank. That ensures you won't have a really bad smell emitting from it. Plus, a dry tank is bad because it dries out the seals.

11. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

AAAAnnnnndddd the biggest reason to empty often for ME, is my damaged back. 5 gallons of liquid is a bit heavy for me, so I empty every other day, if not daily!

[:D]

12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

We wait until it's full. Two seasons of camping doing this now.

If you've got the right chemicals in it and it seals right there is no mess, no smell. Just make sure it's flushed and bowl clean prior to stowing it, and yes it might be 2 to 3 weeks between camping trips.

Believe me if there was ANY problem I wouldn't do this. Yes it's heavier when full, but less times handling the thing dumping it out at the dump station.

13. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I always empty it and agree with Pam, it's easier to handle if not full [8D]

14. GreyMan

GreyMan New Member

I do what the majority do, we empty it after each trip [:(O]

15. MIlover

MIlover Member

What everyone else says - empty it out, then add a little water and chemical back in. Keeps it fresh and ready for use at a moment's notice.

16. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

Empty after each trip!

17. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

Empty after each trip.

I am not following why you are concerned over losing chemical. If it is a porta-potti the chemical solution is held in a separate holding tank than where the waste accumulates. Ours is just a Theford detachable unit. I remove the waste side and carry to the bathroom or dump site prior to folding down the camper. I rinse it and dump it a few times. I return to camper and reattach to the holding tank portion. You lose no chemicals.

Honestly it is only used for those midnight quick #1 for the girls anyways.

18. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Maybe I should have added, when I get home, I put a cap of bleach in the holding tank, add water, shake shake shake and then dump down the toilet. Then a regular water rinse a few times. No muss, no fuss, no smells. [A]

[:D]

19. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I assume he/she does not have a detachable porta potty. I'm not sure what that is. Ours is a Thetford Cassette toilet and the chemical goes directly into the waste tank. So, we do "lose chemicals", but it's entirely worth it. I don't want waste sitting in our camper between trips. Although I will let any remaining fresh water sit in the fresh water tank between trips.